Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search > Bing PPC
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Welcome to New Bing PPC Thread

Okay a couple of our diehard mods wanted to start a separate forum thread for Bing - so here it is.

Discovery and Mell66 will be running this one and they are both very experienced in the space and are keeping on top of all things Bing.

Read Melissa's article about Bing here.
Old 06-12-2009   #2
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough
Re: Welcome to New Bing PPC Thread

That's nice and very much true about Discovery and Mell66. Congrats

Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Thanks Aussie, and I must say Mel66 and I are most honored and excited about bringing news about Bing to our forum visitors. Microsoft clearly has the financial backing, plenty of knowledge capital and a vast amount of data to build a first class search and advertising platform. And they have been able to build all the key elements already, such as adcenter, desktop publisher and the add-in for excel. However, all of these tools were for not if there was no traffic to the Search Engine and its related sites. To make MS Advertising viable for SEMS they needed the most obvious element. TRAFFIC. And this is where Bing holds the most promise. Bing is more than hype, it's more than a re-hash of live, msn and other past attempts at search from MS. Bing is bringing together a collection of old and new ways for visitors to interact with search. Called a "decision engine" Microsoft is showing they are not afraid to be different and change the face of search. This attitude is refreshing and exciting, but most importantly to all of us here, it just may breath the life into Microsoft Advertising we all have been hoping for.

I sit now overlooking the home of Mozart in Salzburg Austria, it's 8 am and the cities numerous clock towers are filling the cool morning sir with their chimes... bing bing biiiiing.

A new day is here.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #4
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

Nice to hear you're in Salzburg Discovery :-), however I must say I'm not fully convinced, yet, that bing will take much of the search cake. will be interesting to see what happens, though.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

Isn't Bing PPC still the same? I mean, it is still called AdCenter, no? http://adcenter.microsoft.com/ It is just that the ads now show on Bing...
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #6
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

First off thanks to Jag for your kind words, and a big thanks to Frank for creating this!

Barry, indeed the PPC program is still called adCenter. I don't believe MS has any intention of changing that name (although adCenterRep can feel free to chime in here!).

I gave my initial thoughts about Bing and its effect on MS PPC in my SEW article, so I won't rehash them here. I will say, though, that I've already seen some pretty significant increases in traffic from adCenter for our clients. It's too early to tell if this will be a long-term increase or just a flash in the pan, but so far I am encouraged.

Melissa
Old 06-12-2009   #7
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Okay so I just pecked out a complete response to Barry on a mini Euro keyboad, hit the freaking enter button by accident and it pushed me back to the forum topic page erasing my entire post.

Time for a double latte
Old 06-12-2009   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

I guess I am just questioning the name "Bing PPC" for a sub forum here.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #9
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Hi Barry,

Yes certainly we could put this under Bing Search and or change the name to Bing/Adcenter. Any way you slice it I believe Bing represents a new page for MS and its advertisers so is should be worked in to the forum name in some fashion.

NKOTB - You're right, I don't want to come off as sounding like Bing is the answer and is now or will be ultra successful. It will take months to answer that question in full. As you know and many others I am normally very skeptical. PS: Whats with the Weather over here? We were in Halstat yesterday and were nearly trapped in the mountains due to flooding.

I have been using Bing a lot lately and have been very happy with the results I have been getting. Our PPC campaigns have picked up slightly, but nothing to jump up and down about just yet.

I'm on extended vacation so will try and provide more robust stats and info on Adcenter with Bing PPC when I return the first week in July.
Old 09-16-2009   #10
LittleChips

LittleChips will become famous soon enough

So what is new about Bing as opposed what was offer before - apart from the apparent reported increase in traffic?

Is it just me being picked on or do microsoft bombard everyone else with vouchers followed by at least one 'phone call a day from the sales department (apologise profusely and promise it won't happen again - at least until the next day and then same repeated aforementioned apology) and then make you fill in a sqillion page Insertion Order, albeit it dressed up nicely by the charming Aline Zenses (shame her name sounds like a nintendo gameboy character!) before uploading the account, having given me a link for an google style ad editor which isn't actually available yet (although it may be now) to get my monthly click!

So what is soooo much better that will encourage me to spend as much time on Bing getting less than 5% of the conversions I can get on Google or even Yahoo. Had a go at Livesearch and given it up as a bad job so unless they can tell me something I don't know wouldn't touch it with the proverbial bargepole.

Steve
LittleChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #11
deanpowel71

deanpowel71 is on a distinguished road

I think that the Bing PPC is still the same? If not then what are the changes.
deanpowel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #12
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

LittleChips/Steve I hear you loud and clear.

Its funny to hear you say how often you have been contacted, because we have advertised with them since inception and have never once received a call from "our account rep". I met her once a a conference, and she explained in great detail the value of "the long tail" as if this was the mysterious holy grail of marketing. I had a hard time keeping a straight face.

What is different:
They do have a robust offline editor; Desktop Editor and it has been out for a long time now.
They do have a pretty cool keyword research tool, ad in for excel.
They do have "client center" capabilities so we can manager multiple clients with one login which is very convenient.

What has changed for the worse?
We have seen a large number of false submissions from MSN.
Compared to other traffic sources, Bing produces nearly 3 times the number of fake and bogus conversions. I don't know if these are click farms or similar, but I do know if you look at drop rates and revenue profits are severely dissappointing using Bing.

What has not changed?
No increase in traffic.

I am hoping that the Yahoo/Microsoft deal will open up new traffic sources, however I have hoped for a lot from Yahoo and live.com/Bing.com before so I'm not putting much faith in them.
Old 10-23-2009   #13
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
LittleChips/Steve I hear you loud and clear.

Its funny to hear you say how often you have been contacted, because we have advertised with them since inception and have never once received a call from "our account rep". I met her once a a conference, and she explained in great detail the value of "the long tail" as if this was the mysterious holy grail of marketing. I had a hard time keeping a straight face.
I too find it funny that you're getting so many calls, Steve. I'm in the same boat as Discovery. Our rep never calls us and we are regular advertisers. Honestly this is a big issue with MS - the low level of knowledge of their account reps. While the MS adCenter Community folks such as Mel Carson, Carolyn Miller, and Jenny Leahy are all knowledgeable and great at customer relations, the reps "on the ground" talk as if they just started in SEM a week ago. The latest "recommendation" I got from our rep was to test ad copy. DUH. And if she'd looked in our accounts she would see that I've got that covered.

We are still getting good results with Bing in certain verticals, but with others the traffic is nowhere.
Old 10-23-2009   #14
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

So it would be nice if someone from Bing stopped by and offered some help here.

Otherwise why should we talk about their new addition of Twitter and Facebook