Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008   #1
itscasper77

itscasper77 is on a distinguished road
reciprocal linking

forgive me if i am asking something that has been answered, but it looks likes a lot of these posts date back a few years in which a lot of SEO has changed.

1. Is reciprocal linking still considered a good practice, if the site is related to you and doesn't have to many outgoing links?

2. i have one way link completely unrelated site but that site has PR3, and the link sits in a footer so it show like hundreds of links. maybe thousands i am not sure how its counted? if it has a ton of dynamic pages based on query string.
is it actually counted as hundreds of links and is this a good thing?
itscasper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: reciprocal linking

1. Reciprocal linking isn't bad in and of itself. Heck, a lot of reciprocal linking happens naturally among site with related content.

The thing to look at is the backlink profile in its entirety. One made up solely of reciprocal links would not look ad healthy as one with a variety of links from different sources over a period of time.

2. I'm always leery of run of site links because I think these links are most probably discounted or not weighted as much as, say, one straight link from a solid content page. And, possibly taken with other factors, they might signal some spammy activity.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Have to agree with jim - and everything is about quality and relevance
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #4
dgkwong
Dgkwong

dgkwong has disabled reputation

Agreed, it all comes down to intent. If the search engines didn't exist, would you still want the link(s)? This may be a case when a reciprocal link would make sense.

As far as the run-of-site links though, I would say take a step back and look to see if the page/site is one that you would be associated with.
dgkwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #5
felisha

felisha is on a distinguished road

Yeah right, reciprocal links are ok as long as they do have relevant content and they are not link farms. Be sure the site you are linking is indexed and not banned.
felisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #6
mooreseo
Oversees: Link Building

mooreseo has a spectacular aura aboutmooreseo has a spectacular aura about

You got it Felisha. Always ask yourself if a user will get value from the link, not just your site's link popularity and you will get the answer you are looking for.
mooreseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #7
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

I agree with Jim and AussieWM, as i had done an SEO for a website before a year ago for which i build quality and high pr relevant back links and in between 5 months, i can see 5 count in my Google Toolbar for that site.
On other side i am very much agressive with one way link building hence i couldn't make it even PR 4 site, it was stuck at PR 3.
Personally, I believe importance of reciprocal linking in these days also.
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #8
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

relevancy and trust rank are big issues now
Old 12-24-2008   #9
Farhan

Farhan is on a distinguished road

how do u know if a website has a trust rank?
Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #10
AussieWebmaster

unknown but here are some interesting articles to read

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mUXQzwEvs

http://blog.seohawk.com/page-rank-vs-trust-rank/

http://www.vldb.org/conf/2004/RS15P3.PDF

http://www.umbrella-consultancy.co.u...-trustrank.htm
Old 12-25-2008   #11
Farhan

Farhan is on a distinguished road

thanx for the links....now going to read them, is the hub page finder has anything to do with finding sites with trust rank?
Farhan is offline   Reply With Quote