Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008   #1
kg84

kg84 is on a distinguished road
How could this possibly happen!

So I log into my companies webmaster tools today to check on things noticed a very supicious error. Our ppc.asp was not showing because Google indexed it as ppc.asp/ so it returned a 404. We have been number 1 for this term for sometime now and we have not changed a thing on the site, i.e. sitemap, xml sitemap, internal links. Now our ppc page is not indexed at all in Google. It has done this to one of our other pages as well. Has this ever happened to anyone? I hate Google more by the day.

Last edited by kg84 : 08-29-2008 at 02:01 PM.
kg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #2
JohnnyD

JohnnyD is on a distinguished road
Re: How could this possibly happen!

I heave heard of this happeneing from a friend of mine. He was in the same situation where he couldn't figure out what was going on either. If you figure it out, please let me know so that I can pass along the info.

JohnnyD

Last edited by jimbeetle : 08-29-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: No sig links, please.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #3
Portran

Portran is on a distinguished road
Re: How could this possibly happen!

Hi

Saw the identical thing in Webmaster Tools about 15 days ago, with / apended to a perfectly good and well indexed URL. The only thoughts were:

This is part of the 404 problem Google have been having recently.
There was a link somewhere with that typo.

I did search for the link and actually found 3, none of which I knew about, 2 forum posts and one site, all crap unfortunately. Presumably, this is some sort of glitch with the software they are using, or 3 coincidental typos, or a case of the link being copied from one site to the other.

So we can't blame Google this time. I added a 301 redirect in the .htaccess file to the real URL. No change yet but no idea when Google would try to crawl these again anyway and Webmaster Tools takes a good while to update. Up to you but the redirect seemed the right answer, can't hurt and even the dog sites these are on might provide a little bit of link juice.
Portran is offline   Reply With Quote