Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Dear Google,

Dear Google,

I really would like more control over my ads in the Content Network. Meaning, the ability to target independent campaigns to each critical component of the Network (below) with reporting for each so I can see performance.

Important Components of the AdWords Content Network
1. Error Pages
2. Parked Domains
3. Blogs
4. Gmail
5. iPhone

Thanks,
abbottsys
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Re: Dear Google,

Hi abbottsys,

I will happily pass your feedback along to the right folks, along with that of anyone else who posts their thoughts in this thread.

(I am in an all-day training today, and am not likely to be able to post again - but I won't forget!)

Many thanks,

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Thanks AWR. Let's keep the AdWords Product Manager on his/her toes. I mean, us advertisers pay our bills, so it's nice to have our voice heard
Old 10-23-2008   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks AWR. Let's keep the AdWords Product Manager on his/her toes. I mean, us advertisers pay our bills, so it's nice to have our voice heard.
Consider it done. I've just copy pasted your feedback into the Advertiser Feedback Report.

Anyone else have anything to add on this theme?

I'd love to hear it - and will include any additional comments made in the next 4 hours or so in this evening's report.

Thanks again,

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #5
luckyluc

luckyluc is on a distinguished road

abbottsys, couldn't you do a sort of workaround for this? It seems like you could duplicate your content campaigns and then block undesired domains (via data from a site/placement report) in order to target each segment.

Have you tried that yet?

I completely agree, though, that AW should let you target Gmail.
luckyluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Asys, of course you know I agree with the additional targeting however I believe that the increase in cpc Google charges for this higher level of targeting exceeds the return.

For example:
Generic content advertising yields a $1.15 CPC on a site that drives a great deal of traffic to us.
We target that site with a placement campaign.
Clicks go up slightly and conversions have a small increase but the avg cpc we have to pay is $2.95 Avg CPC pushing our CPL way over the line.

We target that site with placement and specific keywords
Costs go up even higher and conversions remain flat.

The increased "targeting cost" is rendering the targeting tools ineffective.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #7
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep View Post
Consider it done. I've just copy pasted your feedback into the Advertiser Feedback Report...
AWR
Thanks AWR.
I'm back after being away for a few weeks, so sorry to all if I did not respond.
Old 11-20-2008   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Asys, of course you know I agree with the additional targeting however I believe that the increase in cpc Google charges for this higher level of targeting exceeds the return....Discovery
Maybe. But my point is that without full independent control and reporting of each major ad distribution channel (google, search partners, websites, iphone, gmail, blogs, parked domains, error pages etc.) we don't really know.

AdWords distribution is now very complex. I'm just looking for more control over each piece.