Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008   #1
johninbrooklyn

johninbrooklyn is on a distinguished road
When should I give up trying to improve an ad's CTR?

I've got an adgroup that's been running a long time with 2 ads. One ad gets a steady 7% CTR. I've been testing ads against this one forever and can't get any others above a 5%. So my adgroup averages about 6%. ROIs on each ad are about the same. It seems that at some point I should just quit testing and be happy with the 7%.
johninbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: When should I give up trying to improve an ad's CTR?

are you testing conversion as well?

also you can make 4 copies of the winning ad and one challenger and stop optimized delivery - thus only using 20% of traffic on test

you can then vary landing pages yo test them for conversion
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Re: When should I give up trying to improve an ad's CTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninbrooklyn View Post
I've got an adgroup that's been running a long time with 2 ads. One ad gets a steady 7% CTR. I've been testing ads against this one forever and can't get any others above a 5%. So my adgroup averages about 6%. ROIs on each ad are about the same. It seems that at some point I should just quit testing and be happy with the 7%.
CTR is only part of the story. You must measure conversions and cost/conversion, otherwise you don't know your ROI. Have you installed AdWords Conversion Tracking?
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote