Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009   #1
Onestop

Onestop is on a distinguished road
Proper way to launch site rebuild

I am having my site rebuilt on a completely different platform. For now the old version is still live and indexed. Once I am ready to launch I will redirect the site name to the new version and discontinue the old. Obviously, some of the old pages in google will be cashed away and show up in search results. What should I do about this? The pages will not be there. Anything else I am not thinking of?
Onestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #2
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
Re: Proper way to launch site rebuild

>I will redirect the site name to the new version and discontinue the old

Make sure to 301 redirect at the page level, not just the site. This will help with both rankings and traffic.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #3
Onestop

If I did I guess it would solve the issue of the old pages sitting out there in the index with nothing to show when clicked on. Any suggestions on how to go in and redirect 40,000 item landing pages to a new page? The page names will not be the same so I can't use that. The old site was dynamic. I also cannot generate a site map on the old platform so I can't use that to match up either.
Old 04-06-2009   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

hmmm. I am sure there is a way to automate it but figuring it out is not likely to happen in a forum ;-)

maybe do a Google search site:yourdomain.com and worry about 301 redirecting the top 100-200 pages. Then, 301 the others to the home page.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #5
Onestop

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. The old site was so bad I am not sure I want the page rankings to carry forward anyway. Best to only go with the top pages.
Old 04-07-2009   #6
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestop View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing. The old site was so bad I am not sure I want the page rankings to carry forward anyway. Best to only go with the top pages.
well, if there are existing page rankings, you don't want to lose traffic (if any) from them by doing a "cold turkey" relaunch. You never know - the rankings may help, no matter how abhorrent you think the old site is.

just think of it as keeping your SE equity. preserving any bit of it helps.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote