Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008   #1
jin

jin is on a distinguished road
SearchWiki

Have you seen this new feature they're calling SearchWiki? It just appeared on my browser today. You can add, delete, and rank the search results - it's supposed to customize/personalize your search results and only your search results.

However, it also says "You can also see how other users have tailored any given search results page with their own notes and changes." But I don't see how that's done.

Has anyone heard if this could impact overall rankings in a good or bad way?

This is on Google by the way.

Last edited by jin : 11-21-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: clarification
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: SearchWiki

There's a lot of rumbling on the boards about this today. Google has no plans to fold any of this data into the results right now, but hasn't ruled out using it in the future.

I haven't yet had time to do anything more than take a quick look at it but plan to grab some time over the weekend. Danny Sullivan has a very good write up about it that I plan to use as a guide while I'm working my way through it.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Good catch jin, portions of this have been in testing for months. By the way, here is another great post:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-11-21-n48.html
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008   #4
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough

I can't help but feel that when you use Google, you just want to 'bounce out' of Google into the thing you're looking for. The last thing I want to do (as a user) is to hang around the Search Engine providing feedback.

Most users see Google as a pure utility and nothing more. They don't log into Google to see their search history. Most don't know about the nifty features like stock quotes, conversions, etc. I don't know anyone except developers who know how to use boolean operators in searches either.
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008   #5
Tection99

Tection99 is on a distinguished road

It seems to me to be a bit of an move towards a digg type system.
It has already created some confusion and friend of a friend sent an email to their entire contact list asking for people to click "promote" saying that if everyone did it they would appear at the top of the listings. If you ask me the combination of analytics & actual clicks on links would be more accurate to determine what users thought was more relevant, if they were going to use this for ranking purposes that is..
Tection99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008   #6
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

I found it as an Google Book Mark, i wouldn't accept it. I have to say sorry to Google, i dunt find any use of feature with out feeling lucky for free...
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote