Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008   #1
CaseyC

CaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really nice
Volatile Rankings Lately

Has anyone been getting volatile rankings lately. On a couple of our sites we have been seeing ranking positions changing multiple times a day over the last few days, with today being the most volatile. Starting on friday we had a ranking go from about 14 up to 5. Then over the weekend it dropped down to 20, then first thing this morning it was 4 and now this afternoon it is 7. Been seeing similar things with other keywords also.

Any ideas?
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #2
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Volatile Rankings Lately

i made a post where i said i thought that getting links from relevant sites could be overrated, etc.. I gave 3 examples and checked 2 of those examples (the german keywords) today, and interestingly both of those sites I had used as example didnt rank well for those 2 keywords I mentioned anymore. They were somewhere between 11-20 and before they had been at (I think) #3 and #5 (definitely in the top10).

Those were the German SERPs, so I looked at google.com and google.de..English/German language..but the rankings were still changed, thus it wasnt my 'fault'.

Anyway, while I dont think that this has anything to do with what I talked about in that other post, it made me wonder if there had been an algo update or if other people had seen such fluctuations, too or something...anything....
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #3
shaneekirk

shaneekirk is on a distinguished road

I noticed this too!! On one client that I've been working on a specific set of keywords. We jumped up to #5 over the weekend, then the last on the page today. And, a random page/article is in the #4 slot. Our competitors are bouncing all over the place too.

Maybe we'll see a press release from Google saying what happened?
shaneekirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #4
CaseyC

CaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really niceCaseyC is just really nice

I am still seeing this today. Was number 7 yesterday afternoon for a particular phrase and am 24 today and also jumped back up from 15 to 7 on another term on a different site. This is just too weird right now.
CaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote