Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009   #1
GAustralia

GAustralia is on a distinguished road
Question How to control description that Google Shows - DMOZ.org description showing.

Hello Search Watch.

My question concerns the art of controlling the description that shows in the search results.

I thought I had it figured with HTML Title and Content. Now the darn Google is showing the dmoz.org description for a few of my keywords. This seems strange. the dmoz.org description determined by dmoz.org editors is on the generic side, and not stacked with the keywords and word ordering that has delivered results in the past. And note this could be a downside of getting a dmoz.org listing.

So how do I get control back - show my HTML content?

Also I have noticed that Google seems to tending to ignore/bypass the HTML content and draw from text on the site.

Any pearls of wisdom on message control?

GAustralia

Last edited by GAustralia : 04-11-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Clarification
GAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #2
birdie

birdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of lightbirdie is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to control description that Google Shows - DMOZ.org description showing.

Use the noodp tag:
<META NAME="googlebot" CONTENT="NOODP">
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: How to control description that Google Shows - DMOZ.org description showing.

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOODP" />

is the way to go
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #4
GAustralia

Birdie/Aussie -

Thanks for the HTML. I Googled NOODP and found complaints back to 2006 where Google was taking the descripiton from dmoz.org.

Any other pearls of wisdom on titles/content?

Regards,

GAustralia
Old 04-13-2009   #5
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

did you install and see a change yet?
Old 04-20-2009   #6
GAustralia

Hello Aussie/Search Watch.

I no longer see the DMOZ description in the search results. It took a week after inputing the HTML on the home page. Thanks again for the advice.

GAustralia

G
Old 04-20-2009   #7
AussieWebmaster

glad to be of help