Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009   #1
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough
Anchor Tags (A Tags)

I have a question that I need some help on.

Can anyone tell me the repercussions of having the Title of a document or the main content name of a document being an A tag?

Here is an example:

Page Title: Fast Red Car
================================================== =============
=Begin Content=

{H1} {A name="top"} Fast Red Car {/A} {/H1}

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

=Close Content=
================================================== =============

I specifically designed my pages to have the H1 tags at the top and first on my pages with the specific name of the page content as the first thing on the page. we made a small page change the other day and the programmer grabbed the name and used it as his anchor point for a link at the bottom of the page to throw people back to the top.

I have heard that G discards the keyword value of the link when it is wrapped in an A tag and I am worried that this will cause a cascading negative effect across all of my pages and negatively affect my ranking.

Any insight out there? Should I leave it alone, should I remove the tag? Should I make the programmer buy me Pepto for causing me heartburn?

Thanks!
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Anchor Tags (A Tags)

why are you using an A tag? it is used for link direction
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #3
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough

The programmer used it as an anchor, so that he could redirect the user back to the top of the page, from a link at the bottom.

He could have really used anything to anchor to, but he chose the main content description of the page to anchor to.

Something that I would have weighed heavily before doing, but he did it like it was nothing at all, because he is not thinking of SEO while programming, just merely trying to solve an issue quickly.

I'm am inclined to believe that it makes zero difference, but I wonder if anyone has ever tested this with real links or just anchor links like these...

Any Ideas? Ever seen this before?
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

It won't have an impact - IMO the H1 tag is the impact tag here and the a tag is a direction tag
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote