Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Why does ad content get indexed?

I see this alot.

In our analytics and in searches I find organic rankings for sites based on Adcenter ads. For example do a search for any company name you are advertising with, that would be in your display URL, and you get a number of results from where your ad has run.

This seems to me to be a flaw in the algo. Why in the world would a dynamic ad be concidered relevant to a search engines ranking algo?

I have found this on Live.com, Google and Yahoo.

Would it not be easy for SE's to see which content is from advertising programs and ignore it?

Are SEO's using ads to improve organic rankings in this way?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #2
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough
Re: Why does ad content get indexed?

I would guess that a Search Engine will crawl the text, but the links won't count (because the link actually goes to Google Adwords rather than directly to the advertiser's site).

We use Google Alerts quite a lot for client sites to work out what (and when) content is being crawled and AdWords often come up.

I would imagine that its difficult for crawlers to prevent the ads from being parsed.
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

glitches in new crawlers may be looking at the landing page and not grabbing the redirect - the spider follows the link but records the final destination url - could be when they are testing ways to make redirects more efficient or some such... am not a programmer and is just a guess
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

I'm no SEO junky but I have found that when you append a link pointing to your target website from another website with extra data it almost always gets treated as a unique link.

www.mysite.com?referal=linkin
www.mysite.com?referal=linktwo
in addition to
www.mysite.com/default.asp

All get listed as seperate listings.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote