Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009   #1
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light
Buying & Selling 'internet real estate'

Does anyone on here know someone who has been buying, tweaking and selling websites for a profit? Ive heard a few guys (I think a. wall & jim boykin) state that theyve been rather successful with it a couple of times (of course that d oesnt mean doing it is a good idea, because theyre also successful with everything else they do SEO-wise ).

Nothing, Im planning on doing anytime soon, but I find it a really interesting topic and have been wondering why it is never raised.

Does nobody do it? Doesn't it work? Does it work so well that people don't talk about it?
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #2
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough
Re: Buying & Selling 'internet real estate'

There are much more profit areas like domain parking and so, people mostly go for those

Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #3
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

I see, but thats like a completely different area of the game...whereas flipping websites (buying, improving, selling) requires a very similar skill-set as doing internet marketing consulting....basically the same skillset as running your own sites or c onsulting or working in-house as the majority of SEOs/internet marketers do...but I rarely hear of anyone specializing in doing it the site flipping way..so that made me wonder
Old 06-04-2009   #4
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Trends been changed. Not like before, now most of them have access to information and knol about things they need and go for custom solutions with open source and so and many business owners go for templates and improve those according to there needs with some organic pulls and these results in putting away IRE, so people line to move to much profit areas may be except few

Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Seems like for the long term, it might be better to keep rather than flip if the site makes $.....
Old 06-04-2009   #6
NewKidOnTheBlock

Hey Beu,

technically I would say that the market for buying and selling websites is like any other market. If there are enough people who are going to bid on your website (enough people on the demand site), then you should be able to get a "fair" price for it. Fair price meaning that you wont be the loser of the deal, because even though the website is likely to make much more money over the next couple of years (or decades) for the person who buys it, that person will have to put in quite some work/time (over the years) to continue to extract that revenue...whereas you can use that time to do consulting, work on other sites, etc.. (the whole concept of opportunity cost)

However, the reason for this thread is actually htat a friend of mine is negotiating a deal for his website with a c ompany who has approached him and is trying to buy his website (he says they've been buying quite a few sites in that niche)..and as far as I can tell (I might be surprised), it looks like he won't be able to get a price that'll make selling the site a good decision for him (maybe he'll get a higher price than I think he will, though..you never know). Another friend chipped in saying that he recently got an offer for one of his websites, too (a price that the site makes in profits in around 6 weeks he said lol)

So, I guess what you're saying is probably right for the majority of webmasters who know SEO/internet marketing (in practice - which is the only thing that counts)...that keeping their sites that are making money instead of selling them is usually the better decision, because they're likely to get a bad deal.

However, wouldn't that also mean that buying old sites can often be a great opportunity for many webmasters/businesses (with no intent of flipping them, but keeping them)? I guess the problem of it might be that buying an old site might affect your SE traffic once the whois info changes, but then again it seems there are plenty of people out there who have bought and sold websites before that didnt experience a major decrease in SE traffic (so perhaps your site only gets sandbox'd or whatever if you buy it and change too much).

All of this is starting to remind me of the stock market, and people not willing to sell their stocks whose prices have gone down "because they are a bargain at this low price, now anyway" (suggesting they'll go up again). If the stock market was as simple as that I'd simply search out a bunch of stocks whose value has decreased by 90+%, buy them all and outperform the market at ease! ..but maybe such an opportunity exists with websites...?unfortunately nothing I can (or should) try to do right now