Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
News/Myths More Prevalent Lately?

Google may not allow companies to advertise online gambling sites in the United States, but they will carry the sponsored videos of the Players Network's lifestyles and other gambling related content, according to <a href="http://miranda.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=88924">BusinessWire at Miranda's BroadcastNewsRoom</a>.

The article, interestingly topped Google's News listing for Google news!

Is this something I am just starting to notice or have there been a lot of 'urban legendish' articles in various places lately? Let me know here.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #2
sportsguy
Just another in-house SEM guy...

sportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the rough
OK - that's just interesting.

So every day I see a new ad running via Adwords from some obscure betting joint, and every day my Exec come to me asking why they can advertise and we can't. I keep telling them because we play by the rules and don't burn domains.

Now it would seem there's another way to "skirt the rules".

Definitely not a new concept, but is it actually worth pursuing?

I mean, is it worth bringing, say, entertainment focused vids to the space, with a company URL shown across the bottom of the vid? Is it branding (if no one knew your name anyhow)? Is it a traffic development tool?

How long before G decided that's an issue and crushes it?

Perhaps they won't care as it's not directly linked (the URL that is).

Not sure I'm seeing an uptick in the urban legend output generally, but it seems to me I see an ever-increasing level of new-spam. It's almost like SPAM is an industry and it's bent on destroying as much value as possible in any new space.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go speak to one of our Product Managers about this new idea I had...
sportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsguy

Not sure I'm seeing an uptick in the urban legend output generally, but it seems to me I see an ever-increasing level of new-spam. It's almost like SPAM is an industry and it's bent on destroying as much value as possible in any new space.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go speak to one of our Product Managers about this new idea I had...
Spam was invented the day after email! The forms it takes always lag an hour or two behind any new marketing method....
Old 12-13-2006   #4
sportsguy

sportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the rough
Which means spam lags about 30 seconds behind any new medium - blogs came to life, and 30 seconds later we had comment spam...

Videos became popular, and suddenly every vid is peppered with logos and urls...
Old 12-13-2006   #5
AussieWebmaster

I thought that was just marketing efforts using the latest technology.... but then I guess it is just degrees of spam
Old 12-13-2006   #6
sportsguy

One man's ad is another man's spam...