Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends > Search & Legal Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2006   #201
bragadocchio
Seeking Enlightenment

bragadocchio has a spectacular aura aboutbragadocchio has a spectacular aura aboutbragadocchio has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Anyone have a way to record a phone conversation?
That may not be a good idea. In many states, it is against the law to record a phone conversation without first gaining the consent of all parties to the call. In some states, it's required that at least one party consent to being recorded.
bragadocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #202
hoyaguru

hoyaguru is on a distinguished road
Question for the SEO's out there

If you had thousands of customers, and something you were doing was getting them banned from Google, would you know it? Traffic Power told their customers that they had been banned from Google because of Google's re-indexing, but I'm guessing they had to know what was really going on. I'd like to hear what real SEO's think about this.
hoyaguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #203
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Oh you would know it if you were doing things that TP was doing.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #204
BradBristol
Has-Been "SEO Expert"

BradBristol will become famous soon enoughBradBristol will become famous soon enough
Most of the employees could very well not have know what is going on (my own employees are rather clueless about most management issues).

But the idea that management did not really know what was going on is, for me, more than a little hard to believe.

As a matter of fact, it looks very much to me like TP(Toilet Paper) Management was directing the action rather closely at all times.
BradBristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #205
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
It's quite possible that some of the employees didn't know TP's seo methods - I mean the people doing the cold-calling. The people who actually did the seo work were (are) freelancers from all over the place.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #206
hoyaguru

Matt Cutts

Is there anywhere online that has a bio or something of Matt Cutts, to prove that he works for Google?
Old 02-18-2006   #207
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Is there anywhere online that has a bio or something of Matt Cutts, to prove that he works for Google?
You are kidding of course.

http://www.google.com/services/libra...ewsletter.html

Last edited by Marcia : 02-18-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #208
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
I can verify, along with many others in here, that Matt does indeed work for Google
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #209
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
LOL.... that is classic... Matt really works for Yahoo! - though Larry and Sergei don't know....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006   #210
hoyaguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Nope, not kidding. Can't just go in to court and say he works for Google, you have to be able to prove it.
Old 02-19-2006   #211
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyaguru
Nope, not kidding. Can't just go in to court and say he works for Google, you have to be able to prove it.
Well next time I talk to him I will take a picture of his work pass....
Old 02-19-2006   #212
hoyaguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Well next time I talk to him I will take a picture of his work pass....
That would be great, let me know if you do that, just send the picture to webmaster@trafficpwoersucks.com.
Old 02-20-2006   #213
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Marcia's link to an official Google newsletter citing Matt as an employee should be proof enough. But even if you didn't have that, you could submit to a court that Matt is a well known Google employee, and your sworn statement would likely be accepted as a fact unless the other side wanted to dispute it (which they wouldn't, since it is indeed a true fact).

Put it another way. It would be like you going to court saying President Bush is president of the United States. You wouldn't need to provide proof. It's an easily verifiable fact that no one is going to dispute.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #214
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
There is a legal doctrine of "Judicial Notice", where, for example, if a defendent says that the sky was blue, that the lawyers do not then have to go into detail proving the blueness of the sky. The judge takes judicial notice of the fact.

This isn't quite as obvious, but it's not something that is likely to be disputed, and if TP disputed it, it would make them look like they are attempting to waste the courts time.

For one thing, since Matt himself is not on trial, the court will not automatically assume he's a liar when his blog (the same one that has the TP post) states clearly that he's an employee, and is making a statement with the permission of Googles lawyers. Challenging that would be calling Matt a liar. He could sue

Bottom line, if TP challenged it, the evidence would be overwhelmingly harmful to them. They'd be better off trying to minimize Matt's importance, rather than bringing his qualifications in question.

If I was defending TP, I'd stipulate it and move quickly on. If I was defending Aaron or TPSucks, I'd strike up the band.

Ian
Old 02-20-2006   #215
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Ian, couldn't/wouldn't they just call Matt as a witness? Or get a statement from him anyway?
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #216
AussieWebmaster

This is one of the slowest processes I have seen lately.... maybe they are dragging their feet as they know it is not a winable position.
Old 02-20-2006   #217
hoyaguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
This is one of the slowest processes I have seen lately.... maybe they are dragging their feet as they know it is not a winable position.
Well, the fact that TP filed a lawsuit, and the lawyer who filed it had no idea what he was suing TPSucks for, held things up a bit. Then 6 months later, TP's new lawyer (don't know if the first one was fired or if he quit) had to request a 30 day extension to come up with reasons to sue. Seems to me that the process was a little backwards, I think generally you have to have a reason to sue someone in order to file a lawsuit, you can't file and then try to come up with reasons for the lawsuit, but that's what happened. The court date is March 1st now, but I'm guessing there will be more delays. The defense against the claims that were filed will rpobably take several days to go through, as it is quite a lot of information. Then TP's lawyer will likely ask for another extension. Personally I don't see why they are even persuing this any more, Matt Cutts' admission of the banning pretty much proves that TP is the bad guys in all of this, I would think the judge would see that and know where the blame lies, and hopefully just throw the whole thing out.
Old 04-13-2006   #218
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
Now that the case filed by TP against SEO Book has been dismissed , I wonder what are their next moves.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006   #219
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
The TP Sucks case is still active.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote