Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2006   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Goodbye Jeeves

Ask Jeeves is to lose the "Jeeves" butler by the end of this month.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060212-150816
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #2
ewc21
Hong Kong SEO

ewc21 is on a distinguished road
I wonder why Barry Diller does not like the Butler.
ewc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #3
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I don't really like the butler either and I don't go to Ask to search.

I think some people will wonder where the butler has gone. I know of some people who will either search at Google or want to go and 'Ask Jeeves'.
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006   #4
jwhyte

Talking bye jeeves!!! I didnt know you all that well but see ya around.. take care k.

Arnt they taking a huge risk in loosing brand recognition??? seems that way!!

is askjeeves still going to be taking paid results from google?

I liked the whole butler IDEA. o well!! perhaps things would have taken off if they called it askjeffrey.com??
Old 02-14-2006   #5
akagorilla

akagorilla is on a distinguished road
I was told last week that the sponsored listing contract between Google and Ask will expire in 2007.
akagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #6
rogerd

rogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the rough
I thought the butler was kind of a cute branding element, as it implied a level of personal service that others might not offer. He tied in nicely with their emphasis on plain language questions (vs. Boolean search strings).

Having said that, Ask.com could be a very powerful brand in itself. I think a media campaign to build Ask.com could be effective - the vast majority of the web-surfing population has no idea who the AskJeeves butler is or what he stood for, and won't miss him. "Ask" is simple and memorable.
rogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #7
webconnoisseur
SEO Glutton

webconnoisseur is on a distinguished road
Ask Who?

Anyone have any idea how big AJ's market share was at the height of the company? I remember a time when a lot of people I knew were using the site and it seemed like the butler branding was working for them.

By losing Jeeves, Ask certainly has some work to do. If they don't pour money into rebranding themselves, they run the risk of having branding problems that other generic site names face. When the Mining Company changed to About.com (in 1999), they lost the brand at a time when they couldn't spend a lot of money to rebrand themselves.
webconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #8
DarkMatter
Master Blaster

DarkMatter is on a distinguished road
initially, the natural language search was interesting...once you did a few searches and saw the dismal results, though, the luster wore off.
DarkMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006   #9
sportsguy
Just another in-house SEM guy...

sportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the rough
Now, I can't recall where I said this was happening, but when I did, I was shat upon by folks pointing out Jeeves was still in place and always would be. I knew I'd read about this a few months ago.

While Ask may suffer some "brand erosion", it's not like this sort of thing doesn't happen - companies reinvent their names/brands/images all the time.

Big picture, my personal feeling is that tieing your brand to a hokey image is over - tie your brand to solid results and useful content - that's what users remember...

Again, just my opinion, but Ask.com would seem to have a more universal appeal than Ask Jeeves. Ask.com = question, which means answers (potentially). Ask Jeeves = bulter from England - might work locally, but not globally.

Changing brand/image is all about long-term thinking - this shows that's a concern for them - good move.
sportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006   #10
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
They Are Still Big In Some Areas

Ask Jeeves has long seen dismal results for the adult market, but believe it or not, they actually do quite well with children. On my network of kids sites they are one of my biggest referrers. Google is of course the biggest, but yahooligans and ask jeeves for kids send more traffic my way than yahoo and ask.com do on the adult sites I run.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #11
Prestige

Prestige is on a distinguished road
Can Jeeves be hired?
I wonder if they would be willing to sell the rights to use Jeeves
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006   #12
cash

Barry is Right On

Barry's butler should have been ex long ago. His presence said nothing as to search and in general was a hinderance to enhancing corporate value, no matter how cutesy. This move allows Ask to find a more appropriate slogan or symbol, and should, over the long run, help to increase shareholder value.
Old 02-20-2006   #13
rogerd

rogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the roughrogerd is a jewel in the rough
As far as Jeeves' availability for employment... Please don't consider this legal advice, but I'd guess that you might be able to use a butler symbol in general and even the name "Jeeves" outside of a web search, information retrieval, etc. context. Ask Jeeves, Inc. didn't invent the idea of a butler named Jeeves (but they DID trademark the name in relation to web search, information retrieval, etc.).

A quick check at uspto.gov showed quite a few Jeeves-related trademark filings related to the search engine, along with various "Jeeves" trademarks for heated towel warmers, cleaning services, limousine service, etc.

If you steer clear of those areas which have been trademarked (or are in use already but not formally registered) you should be fine. I doubt if the corporate bosses will license "Ask Jeeves" or any search related trademarks in the near future lest they confuse people while the rebranding is taking place.
rogerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006   #14
davecarberry
QUASI-BLOGGER

davecarberry will become famous soon enough
Ask Alfred

I truly think that to be successful with a butler as your lead - you need the best branded bulter in the world.

Hence - Ask Alfred. No one can top Batman's Butler - He never complains, keeps secrets and is always there in a jam.

The worst branded servant - Ask Alice (from the Brady Bunch) What a jumbled up search that would be.

davecarberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #15
Cascabelles

Cascabelles is on a distinguished road
Personally I feel that Jeeves represented more than just an online image/brand, he made users feel like they were getting a more personalized service. Instead of simply typing a question and getting a response, the Jeeves Butler symbolized an online personality sometimes interactive; much more than just a mere image. People like the what jeeves symbolized; a more personalized, less mechanic approach to an otherwise unfeeling, ordinary task. I think the decision to retire jeeves will be a step in destroying that which makes ask.com different than every other seach engine out there.
Cascabelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #16
Carlos Chacón

Carlos Chacón is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascabelles
Personally I feel that Jeeves represented more than just an online image/brand, he made users feel like they were getting a more personalized service. Instead of simply typing a question and getting a response, the Jeeves Butler symbolized an online personality sometimes interactive; much more than just a mere image. ...
I’m agreeing with this.
Ask Jeeves at least tried to be unique and really different from the others.
It is a shame that this kind of “personality” disappears from the SE market.
Good bay Mr. Jeeves!
Carlos Chacón is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #17
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Well, it is a sad day when the ony search mascot goes bye bye, and I for one have made my sorrow into a few songs.

Feel free to come on over and sing with me.
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #18
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
did someone say sing!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #19
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
LOL, if you want to sing any of those songs Danny (and there is a handy midi on one for backup track), let me know and I'll put 'em up for you
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006   #20
ErinD

ErinD is on a distinguished road
Jeeves Leaves Video

A tribute video to Jeeves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mO50pnBD0M
ErinD is offline   Reply With Quote