Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006   #1
Big Juice

Big Juice is on a distinguished road
Links from bad neighborhoods!

Recently I started receiving requests from sites that are not only from bad neighborhoods but are probably deemed to be illegal in almost every country in the world. Now I am not going to question the morality of the sites in question as I firmly believe in “each to their own”. However, I am against these sites putting links to my sites on their unethical sites. When asked to exchange links with these types of sites I always politely decline their requests and hope that they honor my request not to be included within their sites.

The question I am putting forward here is; should these sites refuse to remove the links to my sites what are my options? Does anybody care to respond on how they have dealt with this issue in the past?

Another good question here is; if I can not control who links to my site then why should my site be held accountable for sites that are deliberately attempting to discredit my rankings by being linked to these bad neighborhoods?
Big Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #2
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Juice
Another good question here is; if I can not control who links to my site then why should my site be held accountable for sites that are deliberately attempting to discredit my rankings by being linked to these bad neighborhoods?
Held accountable by whom? The search engines?

The engines understand that you cannot control who links to you and therefore it would not necessarily affect you in a negative way when "bad" sites link to you. It is when you link to a so-called bad site that you can be held accountable as you do have control over that.

I get the same kinds of link exchange requests daily and I don't even give them the time of day to decline. They simply go into the trash bin and I am not concerned whether they link to me or not as I have no control over that.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #3
Big Juice

Ah but what if...

I certainly hope you are right but I have some concerns over the direction that the engines are moving with regards to linking. I recall reading that sites can be adversely affected by the sites that link to them. For example, what is stopping a group of sites from linking to your site and making it look as though the links placed on their sites were purchased links?
Old 02-21-2006   #4
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
bigjuice, thanks for your question. As Dave says, it would be hard for a search engine to penalize a site based solely on a few links. What you are describing, although in my opinion somewhat tinfoil-hattish, is a concern that I have heard others bring up over and over. Even if you were to somehow be penalized for inbound links that appear to have been purchased, it would take literally hundreds if not thousands of such links, probably, in order to get hit. I do not know of any competitor that is that hell-bent on trying to damage his foe that he would go through such trouble.

Like David, I throw those link requests out. If you give them the time of day to ask for the removal of their link to you, you may just generate a laugh. of course, you could always report them to Google...or they may actually honor your response. Either way, you will be taking time away from doing something more productive, like finding good inbound links.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #5
Big Juice

We shall see...

Thanks for the input Chris. I understand what you are saying here and yes it does sound a little conspiratorial however, the group of sites that seems to be targeting one of my client sites seems to be doing so for some reason unknown to me. The only thing that I can think of for them to be doing this is to try to bring this site down in the rankings. I hope that you are correct in your assertion but I am leery until such a time as I see no harm being done.
Old 02-23-2006   #6
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
You might just check your client isn't linking to a site that's linking to the BNs....
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #7
BradBristol
Has-Been "SEO Expert"

BradBristol will become famous soon enoughBradBristol will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Juice
I am leery until such a time as I see no harm being done.
Have you seen any harmful effects as of yet?
BradBristol is offline   Reply With Quote