Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2005   #1
RedConvertible6
webmetro

RedConvertible6 is on a distinguished road
where do i want people to link?

say i have some reciprocal links... yes i know its the last resort, but since people are emailing me with their site links and their sites are health related, shouldn't i go ahead and link?

ok... so i put a link from my site to them in a link page they requested.

should their link back go to

1. a certain page i am building up for a certain keyword... this keyword will be in the anchor text
or
2. to my homepage

whats the real deal? what works better?
RedConvertible6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #2
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
My thinking on recips is that they'll now need to be "justified" to be worth anything, that means to/from topical content in deeper pages where there'd be a clear rationale for them.
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #3
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Hi red convertible (a Ferrari, i hope?)

First of all, I am in the camp that says that reciprocal links are not a "last resort." I feel that they should be a part of every website owner's plan. The key is to focus on linking to and from content that would benefit your visitors or the visitors of the other page. Do try and link to the other sites' pages from the most relevant page on your site, and visa-versa. Eric Ward provides the best theory for this when he says that sites that have all of their links to the main page may not do as well as sites with 25% of their inbound links coming to deeper pages, all other things being equal.

A couple more quick points: vary the anchor text used to link to your site, as well as the description. If possible, the "best" way to get inbound links is from within content instead of a resources/links type of page. Also, make sure you check the validity of the inbound link...some may seem legitimate but are actually blocked from the search engines' view by the use of a robots exclusion tag or a "nofollow." You can learn more about reciprocal links in the Linking 101 thread started by Nacho that is the first thread listed in this sub-forum.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #4
RedConvertible6
webmetro

link... link... link

Hi chris and glengara

Right now the redconvertible is a miata... still working on that ferrari

I hope you don't mind if I give examples so I can understand better.

For my nutritional supplement store... I am trying to get the sites of the different manufacturers of products we sell to link to us.

Let

A= Manufacturer website home page
B = Manufacturer website Online partners page
C = My store home page
D = My store page about the Manufacturer

Some manufacturers put the my link in A
should I ask them to link A to C or A to D?

Some manufacturers will put my link in B
should I ask them to link B to C or B to D?

If I did have a choice, is it better to get a link from A or B?

Is my understanding of the anchor text correct

If I send a link to C... then it should be the keyword I am targeting for C. Same thing for D.

Appreciate your help... I am getting linkrazy
Old 12-29-2005   #5
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
92Dwhite@miata.net :-)
Old 12-29-2005   #6
RedConvertible6
webmetro

hi

is that your personal email? uh - oh your will get spammed!
Old 12-29-2005   #7
glengara

Just my username, I trust you've got an NA?
Old 12-29-2005   #8
RedConvertible6
webmetro

glengara

mines NB 05'

i joined another miata forum... but will check yours out
Old 12-30-2005   #9
glengara

Back to the topic, I wouldn't worry so much on where they're linking to/from as long as the link text is useful.

On a related matter, I took a quick look at your site, and if www.allstarhealth.com/lj_c/Pomegranate.htm is anything to go by, you seem to be overdoing the internal linking IMO.

I'm a great believer in the power of internal links, but when overdone they can bring down the wrath of G....
Old 02-17-2006   #10
RedConvertible6
webmetro

overdoing

Hi Glengara

I agree with you. I wasn't the one who did those pages. They had an SEO consultant come in before and that was what was suggested. I totally agree that incoming links is overdone.

Here's what I've been doing so far

http://www.allstarhealth.com/lj_c/Omega-3_Oil.htm

I am able to rank for keywords that are not highly competitive... In this case [omega-3 pills]

But I sure could use more advice.