Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006   #1
tomovuk
Affordable Web and Graphic Design - Webinsane.com

tomovuk is on a distinguished road
Linking strategies

Hello,

Ok I have ten sites and I want use all of them to link to one site. So all my ten sites are there only to provide links to my main site. How would you organize this kind of seo? How would you setup those ten pages? With separate text on each page all links pointing to main site? Should I interlink my all my 10 sites in between each other?

Basically what structure would you use? I am fighting for two word keyword on my main site.
tomovuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #2
JohnScott
Coffee Drinker

JohnScott has a spectacular aura aboutJohnScott has a spectacular aura aboutJohnScott has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomovuk
Hello,

Ok I have ten sites and I want use all of them to link to one site. So all my ten sites are there only to provide links to my main site. How would you organize this kind of seo?

I wouldn't think that ten web pages linking to one website would be all that big of an issue, nor would it create the benefits you may be anticipating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomovuk
How would you setup those ten pages? With separate text on each page all links pointing to main site? Should I interlink my all my 10 sites in between each other?
If I were to do it, each web page would link to the main page you are trying to promote. They would not link to each other.

You might want to spend some time here:

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=2616
JohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #3
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Quote:
So all my ten sites are there only to provide links to my main site. How would you organize this kind of seo?
That is not a kind of seo, it's simply 1997 doorway domain spam which has long since been figured out by the search engines.
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006   #4
tomovuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
I wouldn't think that ten web pages linking to one website would be all that big of an issue, nor would it create the benefits you may be anticipating.
I am not anticipating anything dude just my clients have lots of domains registered and free hosting

....world of smart people....
Old 01-19-2006   #5
ssjothun
SEOBomb.com Blog

ssjothun is on a distinguished road
If I were to do it, yes, I would develop separate and unique content for each site.

You'd have to do keyword research, make each site laser focused on a niche, interlink the sites that are topically related in a mininet and then link to the main site, maybe use wordpress for each site and then exchange feeds with the sites that are topically related to eachother etc.

If you're not familiar with this kind of strategies, you could always read up on "the revenge of the mininet" to get a few ideas.

Or you can forget about the mininet and focus on what really counts - make the main site a killer site.
ssjothun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #6
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
In my opinion, the best method for instituting a plan such as yours is called the IP Funnel method, created by Bruce Clay. See this page for further information and good luck! Rememeber you will still need to provide good content on all pages involved, and those ten sites alone will probably not be enough links to gain much traffic or ranking, once again IMO.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006   #7
ssjothun
SEOBomb.com Blog

ssjothun is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

oh yeah...I forgot to mention the Hilltop document which is a huge part of Googles algorithm, where it says

2.1 Detecting Host Affiliation

We define two hosts as affiliated if one or both of the following is true:

* They share the same first 3 octets of the IP address.
* The rightmost non-generic token in the hostname is the same.

We consider tokens to be substrings of the hostname delimited by "." (period). A suffix of the hostname is considered generic if it is a sequence of tokens that occur in a large number of distinct hosts. E.g., ".com" and ".co.uk" are domain names that occur in a large number of hosts and are hence generic suffixes. Given two hosts, if the generic suffix in each case is removed and the subsequent right-most token is the same, we consider them to be affiliated.

E.g., in comparing "www.ibm.com" and "ibm.co.mx" we ignore the generic suffixes ".com" and ".co.mx" respectively. The resulting rightmost token is "ibm", which is the same in both cases. Hence they are considered to be affiliated. Optionally, we could require the generic suffix to be the same in both cases.

The affiliation relation is transitive: if A and B are affiliated and B and C are affiliated then we take A and C to be affiliated even if there is no direct evidence of the fact. In practice some non-affiliated hosts may be classified as affiliated, but that is acceptable since this relation is intended to be conservative.

In a preprocessing step we construct a host-affiliation lookup. Using a union-find algorithm we group hosts, that either share the same rightmost non-generic suffix or have an IP address in common, into sets. Every set is given a unique identifier (e.g., the host with the lexicographically lowest hostname). The host-affiliation lookup maps every host to its set identifier or to itself (when there is no set). This is used to compare hosts. If the lookup maps two hosts to the same value then they are affiliated; otherwise they are non-affiliated.

In other words, if you're gonna set up a mininet as suggested in Revenge of the Mininet or other any other mininet for that matter, make sure you have a different first 3 octet of the IP address for each site.
ssjothun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006   #8
tomovuk

Thanks SSjothun I knew this I have 4 IPs at my disposal

I am just not completely sure how to distrubute but for sure all mini sites will have different ips from my main/mother site.

Also I like the Bruce Clay method more than revenge of the minisite since it is more legal. However Bruce Clay method is good if you same content. I will have different content on each page (just one page), different IP for mini sites and main site and I am planning just to link them to main site and not interlink them together.

I am asking myself if Bruce Clay method is neccessary if I have different ips and content?