Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing > Affiliate Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2005   #1
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Affiliate-Driven Success in 24 Hours?

OK I admit it feels "weird in here." I know about as much about professionally managed successful affiliate programs as I do about microbiology. This press release I read this morning peaked my interest a little. Is it really possible to experience such success within 24 hours? Has any of you Affiliate Gurus ever had any experience working with these people? Thanks in advance for your advice in this matter.

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 12-19-2005 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #2
grasshopper

grasshopper will become famous soon enoughgrasshopper will become famous soon enough
having spent my fair share of time recruiting, developing and managing affiliates, i have never seen any "formula" that guarantees success with affiliate marketing. quite frankly, it looks pretty dodgy to me. if their "scientific report" was so great, they'd have more than a one-page website supporting it, and you'd be able to order it directly from the site.

what they've done instead is created an opt-in email submission where you have to wait for an email from them to get more info on how to order, which looks like little more than an excuse to build their own targeted email list to me. even if you don't drop $391 on their marketing report that reveals a "shocking equation about marketing", you'll likely get spammed by them for eternity.

as you know, chris, affiliate marketing is just like any other kind of SEO - work as aggressively as you're comfortable with, and be patient. there are no secret formulas. as for developing effective affiliates, that's the product of research and first-person contact, certainly not "a simple formula that once activated, brings any web site multiple sources of traffic, leads, subscribers and even sales in as little as 24 hours". i'd steer clear.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #3
5starAffiliatePrograms
Affiliate Management Consultant

5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough
Hi Chris,

Thanks for bringing up a topic for discussion here. I totally agree with Grasshopper. There is no 'instant" success formula for affiliate marketing. It takes hard work, trial and error, luck and skill. I think this falls into the category of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." There are tons of ebooks out there like this that make affiliate marketing sound like a get rich quick scheme and give this industry a bad name.

All these ebooks use those dramatic "grabber" headlines like "Make millions from home in your underwear on 2 weeks - GURANTEED!" If any of these systems worked we'd all be doing it and already be rich and retired.

There are some legitimate training systems for making money online with affiliate programs - quite a few good ones in fact. But you can tell somewhat that they are legitimate when they dont make overblown get rich quick overnight claims.

We manage affiliate programs for some of the top e-tailers and big companies like National Geographic, Brian Tracy, Western Union, Mondera Diamonds and many more. You will never see even a hint of "get rich quick" sales copy on our affiliate program landing pages. Some of the programs I have done consulting for routinely cut checks to indivdual affiliates for over $10,000 a month - some even over $20K a month. But you will never catch us saying it's quick or easy. Like with any business, to get to that level of success takes lots of skill and effort.

Linda

Last edited by 5starAffiliatePrograms : 12-19-2005 at 03:07 PM.
5starAffiliatePrograms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #4
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
Unless you have a real good blog spammer .. of course ..

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
We manage affiliate programs for some of the top e-tailers and big companies like National Geographic, Brian Tracy, Western Union, Mondera Diamonds and many more.
Omigosh, you snagged the Western Union and Mondera accounts away from Chris Sanderson? Wow!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005   #6
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
cool thanks so far for the intersting replies...is there a website that is affiliate program education-focused that anyone can recommend?
Old 12-19-2005   #7
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Chris, I think nowadays when we read press releases we have to distinguish between which ones are for backlinks, which are meant as sales pitches, and which ones are really to make a newsworthy announcement of some sort. It seems to be getting harder and harder.

Quote:
is there a website that is affiliate program education-focused that anyone can recommend?
There sure is:

ABestWeb

Not only do some of the best aff programs around have forums there, but there's all kinds of advice for affiliate managers and merchants on how to run successful programs. And most important from the average person's point of view, there's a ton of information so that affiliates can learn what to be on the lookout for, and how to protect themselves and make sure they get paid for their efforts.
Old 12-19-2005   #8
Chris Boggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Not only do some of the best aff programs around have forums there, but there's all kinds of advice for affiliate managers and merchants on how to run successful programs. And most important from the average person's point of view, there's a ton of information so that affiliates can learn what to be on the lookout for, and how to protect themselves and make sure they get paid for their efforts.
Thanks Marcia! looks like a cool forum, but am I gonna have to read all the posts to find this information or is there an "intro" or "about aff. programs in general" section to focus on? Sorry doesn't jump out at me, and I am not sure I have the time to read all the posts, unfortunately. I want the cliff-notes.
Old 12-19-2005   #9
5starAffiliatePrograms

5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough5starAffiliatePrograms is a jewel in the rough
Hi Marcia,

Quote:
Omigosh, you snagged the Western Union and Mondera accounts away from Chris Sanderson? Wow!
NO WAY! Chris is one of my clients so I represent all 20 or so of his AMWSO programs. Check my home page. So when I say "we manage" it's a collective term. Same with PartnerCentric and their 20+ programs. In reality I don't manage any programs I work in concert as a team with all the managers to help promote all 50+ 5 Star programs.

I think forums are sort of a tough place to learn for people that are brand new because there are so many scattered topics from newbie to advanced and lots of noise. After you have a clue what's going on they are great. Chris, one good place to learn is at www.affiliateclassroom.com. They are another one of my clients, but I would recommend them any way. They have a ton of free content plus a $1 two week unlimted trial where you can go in and grab as much info as you want and try it out. They also have a free monthly affiliate magazine. If you go back through all the archives you will find lots of really good practical tips for getting started.
Old 12-19-2005   #10
Marcia

It depends on whether you're looking at things from a merchant or an affiliate point of view, Chris, but merchants and affiliate managers want to attract quality affiliates who will send them quality traffic and produce sales for them, so looking at it from an affiliate marketers point of view, here are just a few points.

Affiliate marketing is a business and there are business relationships established, much like sales representatives who work on a commission-only basis for performance. Some of the criteria for choosing good programs would be, as in the case of products:

1.Products that are in demand by consumers so there's a good chance of picking up plenty of targeted traffic.
2.Merchants and their AMs need to be fair, honest and trustworty - those who are develop a following.
3. A decent commission rate needs to be offered.
4. A decent number of return days need to be offered, so that commissions will be paid if visitors continue to shop around and then come back to buy.
5. Reliable tracking of impressions, clicks and sales.
6. Merchant site needs good usability and should be one that can convert well for the traffic sent, and have a record of good conversions
7. Commissions need to be paid regularly, and on time.
8. NO PARASITES! Some defend them if the BHO's and applications can be opted out of or uninstalled at will. Not so, chances are those are merchants or AMs who are parasite friendly rather than affiliate friendly. Parasites over-write affiliate cookies and steal commissions rightly earned by affiliates - they are NEVER ok.
9. NO LEAKS! Leaks can be 800 numbers displayed without phone tracking for affiliate sales, LivePerson or LiveHelper chat windows that grab visitors at the point of sale, even when visitors arrive when being sent by clicking on affiliate links. They take the orders - no commission for the affiliate who sent the customer. Another leak is Adsense running on the merchant site. No one needs to send traffic to another site to click on Adsense when visitors can click on *their* Adsense and they get paid for the clicks.
10. Cooperative attitude is important - when affiliates need tools or special links, providing them increases income for both the affiliate and the merchant.

There's a lot more, but that's what comes to mind right off the top of my head, just for starters. Most important: HONESTY and TRUST factors.
Old 12-19-2005   #11
5starAffiliatePrograms

Thanks for the great overview Marcia. I was trying to go find some good intro articles and got interrupted. I assumed you were curious from the affiliate side Chris, right?
Old 12-19-2005   #12
Chris Boggs

I enjoyed marcia's overview as well, and I thank you for your resource too, 5star (Linda).

I am curious from "both" points of view that I see, as a website content manager as well as a marketing consultant, so whatever you guys have helps. Thanks again for the quick and thorough responses!

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 12-22-2005 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed 5star's real name :)
Old 12-20-2005   #13
5starAffiliatePrograms

Hi Chris,

No thank YOU! This thread taught me a valuable lesson!

Never assume! I actually don't post here much because I assumed that everyone here knows about affiliate marketing so I have never really posted entry level type articles and tips and only post when I have something more advanced to share. The affiliate forum I mod over at WebProWorld is mainly newbies so I post that type of info there. But just assumed everyone over here already has lots of AM knowledge, like Marcia.

A good resource for learning the other side of the fence - affiliate marketing and management for merchants (or consultants) is www.affiliatemanager.net. There are tons of articles and resources more for managers or people who are interested in starting their own affiliate program, but some of the info there is good for affiliates as well.

Happy Reading!
Linda
Old 12-22-2005   #14
5starAffiliatePrograms

Squidoo Affiliate Marketing Lens

Hi Chris and All,

Have another great resource for you I didn't think of earlier. I just blogged about it and then realized I should come share it in this thread.

Chris Sanderson from AMWSO has developed a GREAT affiliate marketing lens at Squidoo where you can find lots of important industry info whether you are a new affiliate, a pro or an affiliate manager.

Check it out at http://www.squidoo.com/Affiliate_Marketing/

His Squidoo Lens covers topics such as: What is Affiliate Marketing, Affiliate Marketing abbreviations and definitions, Affiliate Marketing through PPC Ads, Why Adware is bad for your Affiliate Program, US Affiliate Marketing Network Overviews, Affiliate Marketing Guides (Best places to learn about affiliate marketing for newbies), Affiliate Marketing Tools (Tools that help affiliate partners and managers). The lens also features recent entries from some of the top affiliate blogs including his, mine and Revenews, so you can read many of the latest hot topics and industry news all in one place.

Happy reading and Merry Christmas.

Linda