Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > MSN Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
MSN Indexes Ask Jeeves

The other day I ranted on Google, but now its MSN's time. In my rant, I linked to a SERP at Ask http://web.ask.com/web?q=big+blue+pineapple+chair

Then I looked back today at MSN results for big blue pineapple chair and saw the 3rd result in MSN Search is...

Quote:
Ask Jeeves Results - big blue pineapple chair
... The most competitive keyword on the planet, the big blue pineapple chair . Of course I am being sarcastic. www.seroundtable.com/archives/000853.html | Save Google is Proactive on Picasa ...
web.ask.com/web?q=big+blue+pineapple+chair - Cached page - 8/14/2005
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #2
Artyom

Artyom is on a distinguished road
I guess so...

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q....com&FORM=QBRE

I don't think Ask has only around 60,000 pages at its Index, but...it seems like MSN indeed has been indexing Ask.com
Artyom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #3
dzine
Born2Optimize

dzine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Spiders without brain.
dzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #4
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
In case anyone reads this and gets the wrong impression, spiders cannot crawl an engine's search results, because to get the results requires a form to be filled in (the searchbox), and spiders can't fill forms.

The only reason that MSN's spider got that results page is because the URL was linked to from another site, and spiders can follow links.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
In case anyone reads this and gets the wrong impression, spiders cannot crawl an engine's search results, because to get the results requires a form to be filled in (the searchbox), and spiders can't fill forms.

The only reason that MSN's spider got that results page is because the URL was linked to from another site, and spiders can follow links.
Thanks for clarifying.

Right...

Point is, they should specifically take the time to exclude ask jeeves and even their own SERPs from being indexed. Even if it is linked to.
Old 08-16-2005   #6
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Yep. It's a wasted listing when it only points to another set of search engine results. But then who cares when it's a listing about a "big blue pineapple chair"

Have you tried an experiment to get MSN to list its own results page - the one that the listing is on?
Old 08-16-2005   #7
rustybrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
Yep. It's a wasted listing when it only points to another set of search engine results. But then who cares when it's a listing about a "big blue pineapple chair"

Have you tried an experiment to get MSN to list its own results page - the one that the listing is on?
Yes, MSN is listing its own SERPs for the same search - which is hysterical.

See the third result, it pushed down the ask results to number 4.

See http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...ineapple+chair
Old 08-16-2005   #8
PhilC

LOL!!! Now that's ridiculous
Old 08-16-2005   #9
webconnoisseur
SEO Glutton

webconnoisseur is on a distinguished road
Search Engine Orgy

It is more prevalent than you think. I did a little research today to see if any other search engines are crawling each other's results. Most of them do, though none of them crawl all the searches (although MSN crawls 73 million of its own). Check it out:

Search Engine Orgy

I'll probably clean the file up tonight when I get home to give it a more polished look and links to the searches I performed.
webconnoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005   #10
PhilC

I didn't go through MSN's results with a fine-tooth comb, but I scanned some of them and didn't see any search results.

Correction:
I found some but they are the brief variety and they redirect. I wonder how they got hold of those.

Last edited by PhilC : 08-16-2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-13-2005   #11
rustybrick

I was reading http://seoblog.intrapromote.com/2005...ng_msns_a.html and it reminded me of this thread. So I checked the SERPs at MSN and it seems like the fixed the issue of indexing other engines and pages with the noindex tag.