Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2005   #1
bgarrun

Exclamation August 2005: Yahoo Search Marketing Down

I haven’t been able to manage my account of sponsored search for the past 24 hours + got one tenth of the usual traffic from overture in the last 48 hours. Yesturday I managed to access it briefly and the 1-5 bids we’ren’t showing in one of my campaigns, yet it was ON and funded. Did anyone experience such difficulties and knows what going on?

I’m accessing from Israel and got no replies for my inquiries.

Thanks, ben
Old 08-22-2005   #2
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
The direct traffic centre login interface was down here in Australia (you couldn't log in) yesterday, and most of today too - but its working again now.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Is Yahoo ever up? -System Slowness

Yes overture was down for "system upgrades" this past weekend. Although I dont see any upgrades, nor improvements in system performance.

They were down intermittently yesterday, and now today It took 20 minutes to get to the login page, and when I did I only got the message

"System Slowness
We are currently experiencing intermittent delays and slowness with our system. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience."

Glad we turned all our Yahoo campaigns down to their lowest traffic levels on Friday as we have not been able to make any changes since then.

But that new DTC is coming soon, really, maybe even by the end of 07.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #4
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
The performance of the DTC has been very poor today. Yahoo really need to get their act together!
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #5
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Held hostage?

We ramped down all of our Y! campaigns last Friday before their weekend "upgrade" shut down. Well, once again, Y! just didnt seem to take ahold of those changes.

Not only did we get socked for traffic we didn't want over the weekend and had no ability to stop it, BUT for some reason the traffic was 3x greater than a normal weekend for us.

Our ad spend increased by close to 20k in less than 3 days.

At what point is this negligence going to require legal action?

Did any of you make changes that never took on Friday and got stuck with paying the bill?

Discovery
Old 08-24-2005   #6
vinniesmith2227

vinniesmith2227 is on a distinguished road
Looks like the system is completely down right now. What is going on????
vinniesmith2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #7
FreeAgent

FreeAgent will become famous soon enough
I'm in the same boat as you, but our ad spend only increased by about 4k.
FreeAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #8
vinniesmith2227

vinniesmith2227 is on a distinguished road
I can't even get in to check my information!
vinniesmith2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #9
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
I can't either, it times out or goes to a page not found error everything. Not fun when you need to manage accounts.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #10
Deborah2005

Pretty much the same here, only 1 had 1 error page then it said I was already logged in (?) and took me to another error page.

Geez--are they ever going to fix this?
Old 08-24-2005   #11
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Aaaaaaaaaaaaarg Still Down
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #12
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

It must be coming the new DTC

Those spry little devils, having a bit of fun with us before they launch the new DTC with all the bells and whistles.

Surely, they locked us all out to build excitement and when they open the doors again there will be a new DTC with a wonderland of tools to play with and life will go on happily ever after...

Has anyone seen my Prozac?
Old 08-24-2005   #13
leftoverjoe
Paid Search Manager

leftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery

Has anyone seen my Prozac?
I borrowed it and am making a big "happy" cocktail for myself...I think I am going to need it.

I wish they would announce these things if it truly is 'the upgrade' this time. They are always shutting it down on the weekend, but this is different. This is causing problems for us by being down so long in the middle of business hours.

Oh well, more of the same I suppose. Good luck everybody.
leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #14
FreeAgent

FreeAgent will become famous soon enough
If Y! is not up by the end of the day I will be taking legal action tomorrow. For a company of their size to be down this long is totally uncalled for.

Pissed!!!
FreeAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #15
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Quote:
I borrowed it and am making a big "happy" cocktail for myself...I think I am going to need it.
LOL. I guess we should take a lesson and all relax. It will be up soon I am sure. I can at least get past the first page this time around.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #16
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Probably a good time to mention to some related threads! Keep this one for discussion of the immediate problem with Yahoo's system. For longer term gripes with the existing system, head over to 10 Reasons Yahoo Should Kill Direct Traffic Center. For comments on the new system to come in next year, see Details On New Yahoo Paid Listings System.

I also renamed this thread with a month and year, in case of future outtages that get discussed. I'm waiting for someone to suggest naming them
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #17
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I got a statement, for what it is worth.

Quote:
Yahoo! Search Marketing initiated a systems upgrade this past weekend to lay the groundwork for performance and availability improvements that our advertisers will see over the coming months. During this process, we encountered some unexpected issues that affected advertisers' ability to access their accounts.

Our number one priority right now is to restore service for our advertisers, so we are working around the clock to resolve this as quickly as possible.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #18
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Double my prescription

I just received a call from my Y! rep, asking ME why my account was offline...

Ah... Let me count the ways to answer him....

It is soo bad it is laughable. I have turned off my account. We're just going to cut our losses with Y!.

I do have a bit of sympathy for these account reps. Can you imagine going in to work today knowing you have to call 50 people and ask them why their account is offline, or why they are not spending as much as in the past? Then stand back and wait for the 50 gallon drum of whoopass to get dumped on you.

No wonder Y! keeps the developers in a different location than the account reps.

Discovery
Old 08-25-2005   #19
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yahoo! told me they would call you. Did they make an effort to make you happy?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #20
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

No Response as of yet

Hi Rusty,

I'm not sure if you're directing your question to me, or if you're being serious.
However, I can answer your question that no, I have not received a phone call from Y!/Overture today.

I don't know if a phone call can achieve anything, unless s/he were to say, Heres a refund for all the click fraud and additional traffic you recieved while our system was down, and for the changes you made that didn't take and attempts to turn it off could not be made because we continued to be down. And we're also sorry for posting that your balance was x amount on one day, but it was understated by 12k and now you are over budget by 12k 3 days later. And all those domains that are sending you junk traffic, we shut them down.

Here, heres all your money back for these terrible mistakes and a new DTC on top of it.

Yes, I think after a conversation like that perhaps I would feel a bit happier.

Discovery