Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2005   #21
vinniesmith2227

vinniesmith2227 is on a distinguished road
We just signed up for our account and the similarities between the Looksmart console interface and the AJ console are very scary!
vinniesmith2227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #22
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
I have just started a small campaign with ASK's new program. Everything looks okay and the ads should be going live in the next couple hours. The only problem I have is that I have to set a max CPC in order to get some ads to run, as high as $2.14 a click for 1 spot, even though I don't want the number one spot. They do say that once you submitted your sponsored listings you can go back later and edit the CPC's for individual keywords (??).

There interface is definately missing some of the nice features and reporting Y!SM has and Google too, but its a nice start. I hope the traffic good.

Does anyone know that if you are the only one bidding in a particular industry or keyword will the Google Ads at the top disappear and be replaced by ASK sponsored listings or is going to be combining both in some type of hybrid sponsored results?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #23
Webvisitor

Webvisitor will become famous soon enough
Phoenix, check the results for DVDs and you will see already the top three spots are ASK sponsored ads. It looks like AdWords have been relegated to the bottom of the page. Anyone else see this?
Interesting.
Webvisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #24
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webvisitor
Phoenix, check the results for DVDs and you will see already the top three spots are ASK sponsored ads. It looks like AdWords have been relegated to the bottom of the page. Anyone else see this?
Interesting.
Confirmed, I see it too.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #25
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Yeah I seeing this too. Works really nice because you can place twice on the page for the same keywords. However some ads from competitors that are placed in Google at the bottom are also at the top with the exact same title and description. The only reason I think the top can be a mix of both Ask and Adwords is that they are using "!" exclamation points in descriptions that Ask does not authorize, except for brand related terms. Could be wrong, will check it out more, just for curiousity sake.
Old 08-19-2005   #26
Phoenix

Yep, appears to be combo Adwords and Ask at the top for keywords where there is only one to two advertisers in using the Ask Sponsored Listings. You can check by looking at the properties of the link and seeing the following:

Code:
http://tm.ask.com/r?t=an&s=a&uid=0B1F8DD00CCC9B124&sid=10A47D64031166034&o=0&qid=78C390DE6528AE0E0DB1DA0DB2E88422&io=1&sv=0a300513&ask=....&uip=4674016b&en=gg&eo=&pt=....&ac=26&qs=1&pg=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fpagead%2Ficlk%3Fadurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.domain.com%26sa%3Dl%26ai%3DBGLc8OmQGQ6rbDJb2sQG-kqyiB4fm7Qmt4safAcbF7wiwp0EQAhgCIPv-gQMoBUiMOVCLxPCX-v____8BoAGYyLv_A6oBBHJlYWzIAQE%26num%3D2
Old 08-25-2005   #27
nodenet

nodenet is on a distinguished road
Ask jeeves is useless.

I would never use Ask Jeeves as a search engine and definitely will not be advertising with them. The serps are all paid listings with little relevance if you are searching for something obscure and technical.
Ask and Jeeves are little more then spam sites and will probably be banned by corporate network admins who dont want their staff wasting time. I welcome competition in the PPC field but I suspect Ask will be similar to Kanoodle who give useless traffic for advertising.

I think it is morally bad to support institutions that survive on peoples ignorance.
I am surprised that these sites pass Google's terms and conditions for adsence.

If you have shares in these companies dump them now. They can only get worse.
nodenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #28
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodenet
I would never use Ask Jeeves as a search engine and definitely will not be advertising with them. The serps are all paid listings with little relevance if you are searching for something obscure and technical.
Ask and Jeeves are little more then spam sites and will probably be banned by corporate network admins who dont want their staff wasting time. I welcome competition in the PPC field but I suspect Ask will be similar to Kanoodle who give useless traffic for advertising.

I think it is morally bad to support institutions that survive on peoples ignorance.
I am surprised that these sites pass Google's terms and conditions for adsence.

If you have shares in these companies dump them now. They can only get worse.
LOL... nothing like coming in swinging.... may want to turn on the lights before flaying away with the axe though...
I agree AskJeeves is not yet a Tier One Player but I would not go so far as to relegate them to the disregard pile...

as much as it is "morally bad to support institutions that survive on peoples ignorance" it is equally bad to post put downs using wording that relies on people's ignornace to sound convincing....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #29
nodenet

nodenet is on a distinguished road
hi aussie

Sorry for being a bit negative in my first postings here. But I like to say things how I feel them.

On a more positive note I would say to people contemplating doing a PPC campaign to also consider affilliate advertising followed up with direct approaches to websites to place your ads.
(Cut out the middleman)

Ask Jeeves had an interesting idea when it started and it used real editors (what search engines did they use?) to find SERPs for the most popular searches. It doesnt do this any more. It now has a bit of an AltaVista feel of graceful decline and elderly incoherance to it.

The Yellow pages should have become Google but couldn't break their addiction to ad revenue and concentrate on results. Google is successful because it is not percieved to be full of ads and the ads are clearly marked.
(Not that Ad revenue isn't important to Google)

I would love to know how many members of the public -'ordinary joes' could distinguish between paid and unpaid listings on AJ? 1-2% I would imagine if that.

Mind you I live in a country where the most popular newspaper is 'The Sun' - a moron tabloid - and the most popular TV program is 'Big Brother' - a dare I use the word, 'reality' show.
So on those demographics maybe there is hope for Ask Jeeves.

I would not advertise in 'The Sun' on moral grounds either.

Last edited by nodenet : 08-25-2005 at 01:18 PM.
nodenet is offline   Reply With Quote