Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2005   #1
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
Exclamation Now sure how best to set-up new tool page

The Background:

I've got two URLs, one that houses my main site and one that houses all my client reporting access, information, and databases. I separated them out a while back simply because they were both getting large and I just wanted to be able to work on one without opening up the other.

Right now if someone tries to access the reporting URL they are redirected to the main site. The only way to get to the reporting information is to login.

The Story:

I'm in the process of building a tool for which there will be two versions; one for our clients, fully integrated into thiner suite of tools, and one for free public use. To prevent from having to build two different tools, we are building it into on the reporting suite URL.

The Dilemma:

If/when people link to the public free version of this tool, I want them to link to the main URL, not the reporting suite URL. I'm not sure the best way to go about doing this. Would it be kosher to simply frame the tool into the main URL so the link will look something like this: www.mainurl.com/tool.htm? Is there a better way to capture the link on the main site while housing the tool on the reporting site?

The tool will require setting up an account in order to store the data inputted for the users continual use, should the login/info page be on the main url and then just flip them to the tool once logged in?

Or maybe just php including it in is the best route? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #2
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
do you have a link you can provide? i'm not sure i fully understand the scenario, but i think i could get a better grasp if i could see it.
kidmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #3
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
Don't have a link as the tool is not yet finished. My goal is that when people link to the tool they are linking to Site A when the tool has to be housed on Site B in order for it to function.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #4
kidmercury
life is a game we play.

kidmercury will become famous soon enoughkidmercury will become famous soon enough
oh ok. i would use an include like you suggested if i were in your position; a simple solution that does the trick.
kidmercury is offline   Reply With Quote