Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of this new SERP format? (multiple choice voting enabled)
I like it, it's a useful feature 3 21.43%
I hate it because it screws up my ranking. 3 21.43%
As a user, I find it annoying. 8 57.14%
Who cares? 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005   #1
Rob
Canuck SEM

Rob will become famous soon enoughRob will become famous soon enough
New Middle Of The Page "More Results" Experiment On Google

Today when I was doing some searches I came across something that I've never seen before.

Under the #1 listing, below the usual snippet and green URL there were 5 more links - one each to other pages on the site. Each link was indented and used the page name as the link.

I don't see this on IE, so I'm wondering if it's really google, or perhaps a firefox extension.

This is what the google listing looked like without color and links:

Site title, Site title ...
snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet
Snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet
www.site.com/ - 62k - 9 Jul 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
Message Board
Live Chat
Lawyers
Criminal
More results from www.site.com
Old 07-11-2005   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Today when I was doing some searches I came across something that I've never seen before.

Under the #1 listing, below the usual snippet and green URL there were 5 more links - one each to other pages on the site. Each link was indented and used the page name as the link.

I don't see this on IE, so I'm wondering if it's really google, or perhaps a firefox extension.

This is what the google listing looked like without color and links:

Site title, Site title ...
snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet
Snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet snippet
www.site.com/ - 62k - 9 Jul 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
Message Board
Live Chat
Lawyers
Criminal
More results from www.site.com
Can you grab a screen shot... I am looking but do not see it... have you upgraded Firefox recently... are the links showing any tracking code etc. when you go to the site by clicking...
Old 07-11-2005   #3
Rob
Canuck SEM

here it is:

I haven't upgraded firefox lately - running the latest version though. The only thing which has chagned was the install of the Google toolbar, however when I turn it off the result still shows the same.

Old 07-11-2005   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Are you using personalised search? Have you visited these sections of that site recently?
Old 07-11-2005   #5
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
when you mouseover whats the link ?? could it be spyware

DaveN
Old 07-11-2005   #6
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN
when you mouseover whats the link ?? could it be spyware

DaveN
That's what I was trying to figure out... either spyware or Google's persoanlised search.
Old 07-11-2005   #7
Rob
Canuck SEM

Ok, I just tried launching firefox in safe mode which disables extensions, and I still see it.

I did log out of my google account, but that didn't change anything. I've completed closed the browser and reloaded and still see it.

Just scanned for spyware this am - so it's not that.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is removing the Google toolbar to see if that's what is causing it
Old 07-11-2005   #8
Rob
Canuck SEM

So I removed the toolbar and that didn't do anything

I cleared all my Google cookies and that did it - the listings are not not like that any more.
Old 07-11-2005   #9
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
rob do me a favour..

highlight the the section viewsource and paste it here :

DaveN
Old 07-11-2005   #10
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
This isn't spyware. We're always playing with new ways of presenting search results. Sometimes folks don't notice UI experiments, and sometimes they do.
Old 07-11-2005   #11
littleman

littleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of lightlittleman is a glorious beacon of light
That will be a very popular feature for those of us who are lucky enough to have #1 placement -- though I guess #2 won't be so happy. A friend of mine in the UK sent me a screenshot of this recently too.
Old 07-12-2005   #12
DaveN

rob where do the link lead to ?? subdomains or pages ...

DaveN
Old 07-12-2005   #13
manada

manada is on a distinguished road
I can see it

I have the CustomizeGoogle firefox extension with ID anonymization. Everytime I reload a page I get a new Google ID. Sometimes the new Google layout show when I reload.
Old 07-12-2005   #14
manada

Amazon.com: Online shopping for electronics, apparel, music, books ...
Online shopping from the earth's biggest selection of books, magazines, music, DVDs, videos, electronics, computers, software, apparel & accessories, shoes, ...
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html - 65k - 10 Jul 2005 - Cached - Similar pages - Filter

Baby
Books
Toys & Games
Free e-Cards
More results from www.amazon.com

Baby => http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...540744&e=10342
Old 07-12-2005   #15
manada

Source:

<p class="g">1. <!--m-->
<a href="/url?sa=U&amp;start=1&amp;q=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html&amp;e=10342">
Amazon.com: Online shopping for electronics, apparel, music, <b>books</b> <b>...</b></a><table border="0" cellpadding="0" Cellspacing="0">

<tbody>
<tr>
<td style="width: 37em;" class="j">
<font size="-1">Online shopping from the earth's biggest selection of <b>books</b>,
magazines, music, DVDs, videos, electronics, computers, software, apparel &amp; accessories, shoes,
<b>...</b>
<br>
<font color="#008000">
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html - 65k - 10 Jul 2005 - </font>
<nobr>
<a class="fl" href="http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html+books&amp;hl=en&amp;start=1&amp;client=f irefox-a">Cached</a> -
<a class="fl" href="/search?hl=en&amp;q=related:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html">Similar&nbsp;pages</a>
<span> - </span>
<a class="fl" cg_filter="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html" href="javascript:void(0);">Filter</a>
</nobr>
<blockquote class="sm">
<a href="/url?sa=U&amp;start=1&amp;si=0&amp;q=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/540744&amp;e=10342">Baby</a>
<br>
<a href="/url?sa=U&amp;start=1&amp;si=1&amp;q=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/283155&amp;e=10342">Books</a>
<br>
<a href="/url?sa=U&amp;start=1&amp;si=2&amp;q=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/171280&amp;e=10342">Toys &amp; Games</a>
<br>
<a href="/url?sa=U&amp;start=1&amp;si=3&amp;q=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/225840&amp;e=10342">Free e-Cards</a>
<br>
<a class="fl" href="/search?hl=en&amp;hs=4Oa&amp;lr=&amp;c2coff=1&amp;s afe=off&amp;client=firefox-a&amp;rls=org.mozilla:sv-SEfficial&amp;q=+site:www.amazon.com+books">More results from www.amazon.com </a>
</blockquote>
</font><!--n--></td></tr></tbody></table> </p>

Last edited by DaveN : 07-13-2005 at 07:01 AM. Reason: took out Google tracking, to stop scrolling
Old 07-12-2005   #16
AussieWebmaster

I wonder if the test was just the top listing to isolate and test and eventually will be for all listings to promote more traffic action.
Old 07-12-2005   #17
Rob
Canuck SEM

Before I cleared my cookies (doh!) the links went right to internal pages on the site. The links corresponded to pages, so for example, "law message board" went right to the main forums page
Old 07-12-2005   #18
GoogleGuy
Unofficial Representative

GoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of lightGoogleGuy is a glorious beacon of light
Another experiment

By the way, this is also a UI experiment (not spyware):
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/002200.html

Barry, you need to to turn on comments. I think this is a pretty neat experiment. If we give the answer you wanted on the first page, great. But if you click on the Next link, it's more likely that you'd want to see new/different/other searches and their other results.
Old 07-12-2005   #19
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Thanks GG!

I hear you, I would be interested to see what you learn from those tests. But I bet you can't share that info.

Interesting, the comments should work - we use that image access code thing, to stop all those spammers.
Old 07-12-2005   #20
Moldarin

Is this because of the changes?

Closed Thread