Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yahoo! Launching New Search Index Tonight

From Yahoo! Search blog, Tim Mayer writes Second Weather Report: Yahoo! Launching New Search Index Tonight.

Quote:
We will be making changes to the index tonight so you should be seeing more of your pages in the index as well as some fluctuations in the rankings of results from previous searches.
Hopefully, it will resolve some of the major indexing issues many large sites have.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #2
critter
Underpromise; Overdeliver

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
So is this just an update or could this have any negative ipmacts on currently ranked sites?

Does this mean an ALGO Change or just re-indexing the web?

Anywhere I can read more on this?

As well - anyone know the domain for the main GOOGLE AND MSN SEARCH BLOGS?

Cheers

CRITTER
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>Anywhere I can read more on this?

Not until after the fact, but I imagine there will be a whole lot of shaking going on, so stay tuned!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #4
critter

critter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the roughcritter is a jewel in the rough
OK

i would think just a full indexing and minor changes, but as usual, if you do your SEO properly and with some vision, you should be fine and maybe even move up the ladder.

Are these the correct Google and MSN Search Blogs?

http://blogs.msdn.com/msnsearch/
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Critter
Old 06-20-2005   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
yes those are the correct blogs.

I have seen some recent indexing improvement on some sites, nothing major, but a start.
Old 06-21-2005   #6
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
And isn't it a nice change to be told in advance when a new index is due! Thanks for saving webmasters everywhere a whole lot of otherwise unneccessay heartache Yahoo!

Knowing that there's an update going on greatly reduces the 'is it just my site' related panic...
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #7
Jorge

Jorge is on a distinguished road
Smile

Well I'll just go into the "it's not only my site" panic mode then
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #8
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not seeing any changes at all.
Old 06-21-2005   #9
critter

No changes from my end either!

Critter
Old 06-21-2005   #10
ferret77

ferret77 will become famous soon enough
I think its a farce.
ferret77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #11
rustybrick

To clarify, it looks like they improved the index. They didn't say anything about a new algorithm. Just improved index, which implies more sites in the big Yahoo Search database. I am not sure....
Old 06-21-2005   #12
Phoenix

Phoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nicePhoenix is just really nice
Quote:
I think its a farce.
LOL. Wouldn't that be a mean joke if it was.

Anyone seen any sites drop out of Yahoo because of the update last night? I am not seeing much movement for terms I tested, only sites getting dropped from top positions.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #13
Marcia

Quote:
only sites getting dropped from top positions
Well, that happened several days ago on a few of my keywords for one site, and I've also seen fluctuations throughout the month.

I'm sure it was well-intentioned, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that there's been an updated index rolled out. IMHO there has not been an update yet.

Last edited by Marcia : 06-21-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2005   #14
mick g

mick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the rough
I am seeing 60,000 more pages showing today on one site alone, inktomi had been going hell for leather over the last few days though
mick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005   #15
Marcia

Well, maybe they rolled out a new index with more pages included, but there sure doesn't seem to have been any kind of algo change.
Old 06-22-2005   #16
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Clarification

Hi Marcia,
Just to clarify we have been making changes gradually over the last few weeks and Monday night was the end of those changes. Things have settled down now. It wasn't a sudden overnight change if that is what you were expecting.
Since this notification thing is new it will be hard for us to judge what each webmaster thinks is significant enough for notification and every change has large impacts on some site and little to no impact on others.
Thanks,
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #17
ReSiever

ReSiever is on a distinguished road
Well, i don't know for sure, but the last 2 big updates were on januari 1st and april 1st this year, so, my guess is that the next big update will be on july 1st..

Maybe this is just a pre_shuffle of some results in their index...

By the way, im new on here, just registered.. i am following discussions on here for a while and I follow some other forums, like the webmasterworld forums, but i must admit that a lot of crybabies are overthere just wining about losing positions instead of discussing the interesting stuff, how the maintain or regain your positions etc..
ReSiever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #18
lorenbaker

lorenbaker has a spectacular aura aboutlorenbaker has a spectacular aura about
Tim,

Thanks for the clarification. You make a good point, even if the update is enough to affect 1% of sites indexed or ranked well in Yahoo, it's worth announcing.

I wouldn't have even noticed the Google Florida update the other year if the forums weren't going crazy over it because it did not change the rankings of my sites.

With Yahoo and MSN index changes this week (MSN being a larger change) it is reassuring to see that the relevancy field is not only becoming more leveled on one side, but more diverse on the other.

Now, how about getting rid of all of those .ws spammy search result sites in the Yahoo index .
lorenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #19
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherTim
Hi Marcia,
Just to clarify we have been making changes gradually over the last few weeks and Monday night was the end of those changes. Things have settled down now. It wasn't a sudden overnight change if that is what you were expecting.
Since this notification thing is new it will be hard for us to judge what each webmaster thinks is significant enough for notification and every change has large impacts on some site and little to no impact on others.
Thanks,
Tim
Got to love the updates three of our biggest sites were swept out of the index because you took the tracking-coded page as the canonical url for each of them.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #20
Marcia

Tim, thanks for stopping by to clear things up for us and putting things to rest. I think people have become conditioned to think of updates as cataclysmic.

Quote:
have been making changes gradually over the last few weeks and Monday night was the end of those changes.
That's how it's been seeming, almost like there's a periodic "rolling update" that's very minor.

I had a section of pages drop about a week or so ago after being changed quite a bit - it's hard to know whether there's an update slipping in quietly or whether there's an ongoing dynamic reaction to changes on pages.

Anyway, it's nice to know that there still isn't a big "shaker" on its way.