Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005   #1
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Relevancy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New Sites First Time Indexed Right Into Supplemental Results

I have been watching a few new site's indexing cycles for some time now and the newest scariest thing that I have been seeing is that once the site gets fully indexed for the first time the pages all get put right into the supp results index.

This shows that you have to keep your pages fresh on a regular basis even when they are not indexed. They are being watched during the sandboxed phase.

My question is will they get out of the supp index or will I have to rename them all? Or is this another new phase of the aging delay?
Relevancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #2
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Is there no one else out there working with new sites?
Old 06-19-2005   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I've got new sites (brand new domains even) that I'm watching carefully to check crawling, indexing and ranking time at both Google and Yahoo.

If pages on a brand new site are landing in the Supplemental Index, it's something with the pages themselves, not because they're new.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #4
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Hi Marcia, I have 10 new domains out there and I tend to disagree. I watch the data centers and the spider hits from logs (google in particular) and there is no movement in the last 20 days..latest these sites are already 5 3eeks old. We are builing links slowly (10 at a time weekly) and Google will not address this at all. Right now im at at point with those sites to do blog and ping just to get them active

2 cents

Cheers

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I have 10 new domains out there and I tend to disagree
OK, first let's deal with the topic in title of this thread for your case, which says that pages on new sites go right into the supplemental index right away - which they do not.

Quote:
there is no movement in the last 20 days..latest these sites are already 5 3eeks old. We are builing links slowly (10 at a time weekly) and Google will not address this at all.
Have they been crawled, and are they in the index? And if so, are they in the supplemental results or the normal results?

Last edited by Marcia : 06-19-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2005   #6
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Hi Marcia, thanks for the reply. The sites in question are all in supplemental results, hopefully soon they will move off that and be part of an entire true index.These are corp sites with no *funky work* attached to them and they are developing gradually, yet I am seeing over slooooooow return on indexing, thats all

cheers

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #7
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
I have a site that’s about 3 weeks old with just under 20,000 pages indexed in Google. I don’t see any supplemental pages/results at all.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005   #8
Marcia

GFC, with the site that's 3 weeks old and indexed, is the site turning up in a search for it's own site name?
Old 06-19-2005   #9
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
Yes it is.
Old 06-19-2005   #10
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

GFC.. is the domain 3 weeks new? Or has this domain been hosted and on the internet before? Did you buy it brand new?
Old 06-19-2005   #11
GuyFromChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevancy
GFC.. is the domain 3 weeks new? Or has this domain been hosted and on the internet before? Did you buy it brand new?
I bought it brand new. From what I can tell it's never been registered before.
Old 06-20-2005   #12
Marcia

I've got a brand new domain I bought on the morning of June 4th. I put a temporary homepage up the same day and some more pages over the two days afterward, though they weren't linked yet from the index page.

One link to the new site went up, both MSNBot and Googlebot came by and grabbed the homepage and robots.txt within 6 hours of the link first going up. There are a total of 19 pages on the site at this point that went up on the 5th & 6th of June (temporary kind of, it's under construction) - with links to two interior pages, though those are linked up within the site and all link back to the homepage.

I missed exactly when it actually first happened, but the homepage turned up indexed within a couple of days, and all 19 pages of the site are indexed - with a cache date of June 11th for interior pages and the homepage is getting fresh crawled almost daily. Today it's got a June 19th date next to it. It's also coming up at #4 for a search on the site name, which I think is slightly peculiar for a new site, but I hope it lasts.
Old 06-20-2005   #13
ThouShaltSeo

ThouShaltSeo is on a distinguished road
I agree with Marcia. Supplementals are mainly:
1. Dupe pages (too similar to others, such as datafeeds)
2. "Lost" pages (with no links to them)
3. Pages deleted long tiem ago

Last edited by ThouShaltSeo : 06-20-2005 at 12:46 AM.
ThouShaltSeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005   #14
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

GFC - check waybackmachine.org and see if it comes up with any dates prior to this year

ThouShaltSeo - I agree that is what supp results are, but I have a case of unique pages sizes, original content and enough of a different page format that got thrown in the supp results right off the bat.

I strongly believe Google watches your pages from a new site for awhile before they index you. They watch for freshness and link growth over the aging delay process. In my case it is just not fair, because these pages are info pages that are not meant to change.. not dynamic store pages.
Old 06-20-2005   #15
GuyFromChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevancy
GFC - check waybackmachine.org and see if it comes up with any dates prior to this year
I did before I bought the domain (and once more just now to be safe) and it doesn't have any history.

Since I posted yesterday another 100 pages of the site have been indexed
Old 06-20-2005   #16
Marcia

Quote:
I strongly believe Google watches your pages from a new site for awhile before they index you.
They may watch for a while before they *rank* you but that isn't the same as indexing.

Quote:
check waybackmachine.org and see if it comes up with any dates prior to this year
That would give indication if there had been any chance of previous penalty, but even buying a previouslyl owned domain won't let anyone off the hook - a new site is a new site and starts from scratch.

Yep, wayback machine checked - never heard of the domain it's brand new and was indexed in less than a week with fresh crawls for the homepage. It's in the regular index that all sites are in, not the supplemental.

Quote:
In my case it is just not fair, because these pages are info pages that are not meant to change.. not dynamic store pages.
Pages going into the supplemental index isn't related to the age of a site or the inbound links.
Old 06-20-2005   #17
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Quote:
They may watch for a while before they *rank* you but that isn't the same as indexing.
I know they watch you before you rank, but I believe they now watch your pages after the first crawl of the site. They just don’t give you the privilege of being shown in the index. They are watching for natural growth and freshness of pages before they index(yes index) them. And if a page is crawled and never changes or gets any good amounts of links to it, then they decide to put it in the supp index when they do show them in the index.
Old 06-20-2005   #18
Marcia

Quote:
I believe they now watch your pages after the first crawl of the site. They just don’t give you the privilege of being shown in the index.
That just isn't so, they are indexed within days of crawling them.

Quote:
They are watching for natural growth and freshness of pages before they index(yes index) them.
No they are not. The sites referenced in previous posts in this very thread diametrically contradict that. Page are, as those were, indexed within days, without changes or growth.

Quote:
And if a page is crawled and never changes or gets any good amounts of links to it, then they decide to put it in the supp index when they do show them in the index.
That is absolutely not so. And its borne out and evidenced by thousands of pages in the index and ranking well that have not changed or had links added in months or years.

When pages hit the Supplemental Index it's because they're not considered qualified for the same crawl patterns and frequencies as sites in the "regular" index, and are only pulled in for searches when there aren't enough pages found within the regular index.
Old 06-20-2005   #19
Relevancy
Relevancy Brings Results

Ok I see. So how would a page get out of the supp index then without renaming it?

I noticed duplicate domains might be a problem. First domain seen wins and the other domain's pages get supp indexed?

After server side 301ing the dup domains do you think the pages will then be taken out of the supp index?
Old 06-20-2005   #20
Marcia

Are there two domains with the same content on them? Like mirror sites?

I"ve seen a site with pages that went supplemental in such a case, but the problem with that site was more than just an additional domain name. There were a lot of pages on the site that were very close to being duplicates of each other with only tiny, minor variations.

If there are two sites, probably doing a 301 to one could help. Is one older than the other, and how about the inbound links? Let's try to get to the bottom of it and figure out what caused the pages to go Supplemental. Then we'll see if we can figure out a way out between us.

Last edited by Marcia : 06-20-2005 at 04:50 PM.