Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005   #121
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldBum
I don't see what the big deal is.

Compared to the Ad:Tech New York Show and parties (1,2 - SNSFW*) and the DMA in New Orleans, the SEO Inc girls looked like nuns.

*Somewhat Not Safe For Work
Afterparties are NOT EQUAL to the conference show floor.
Old 04-11-2005   #122
Voodoo Buddha
Voodoo Buddha

Voodoo Buddha is on a distinguished road
SEO Inc's expo circle-jerk

I thought the whole idea was to find a company that could make you lots of money, then if you're really that hard-up you could buy a harem rather than having to settle for oggling one.

Besides, hiring the right SEO company will make you richer and smarter, which will in turn make you sexier as well (well, hopefully, if your BO ain't too bad). So which would you prefer: hire a company that wastes their marketing budget on skinny waifs, or a company with real substance and puts their marketing budget towards people with a vocubulary more than "Giggle?"

Maybe the next thing we'll see is topless dancers during an actual speaker's presentation. (That would make for quite a keynote.)

Last edited by Voodoo Buddha : 04-11-2005 at 12:31 AM. Reason: I had a new idea, and my brain is slow tonight.
Old 04-20-2005   #123
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Hmmmm......I just noticed that the exhibitor in question here...is no longer in the Google index.

Perhaps a high ranking female executive at Google walked by their booth and was not amused....
Old 04-20-2005   #124
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Maybe they are just using (new) off site parameters ... Try with adult filtering off
Old 04-20-2005   #125
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
I'm just glad I now know what a "delt" is. Scottie, I was just bugging you. For some reason probably linked to excessive TV-watching in the early 90's (do the names "Rick, Kiana, and Kendall" ring a bell?) I know what a delt is. And frankly with the NHL strike, I don't really know what to do with myself, so I write these idiotic posts.

Come to think of it, maybe hiring a few out-of-work NHL'ers as booth cretins would help us drum up a little business... hmmm.... anyone have Darcy Tucker's phone number?

But seriously...
Old 04-21-2005   #126
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Question Questions and thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Morin
Hmmmm......I just noticed that the exhibitor in question here...is no longer in the Google index.

Perhaps a high ranking female executive at Google walked by their booth and was not amused....
They certainly did something to piss someone off at Google...they are completely banned, it looks like to me. Not even their URL in the search box works. Could this also be symptomatic to sandboxing or no? I did notice they are still #1 in Yahoo and MSN for "seo inc"

so, can we wonder why in here? Too many links (see this thread)? Spamming? Any guesses?

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 04-21-2005 at 07:57 AM. Reason: add title
Old 04-21-2005   #127
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
What an interesting thread, so many strong opinions!

It has been said that there is no such thing as bad publicity and if this seven page thread is any indication, SEOinc must have gotten thier moneys worth.

I was not present, but would nevertheless like to offer an opinion:

I think all of us are used to much more suggestive advertising (and movies and TV and Billboards....) than that, but IMO it seems that the real point is being missed - the girls were not there to sell SEO services but to attract attention to the SEOinc booth where according to reports, compentent individuals were on hand to make presentations and answer questions.

While it may not be a popular opinion, IMO if a customer is not smart enough to cut through the schmaltz to the heart of the business, he's not worth having as a customer.

BTW I wonder if the thousands of emails sent out recently (supposedly on behalf of SEOinc) to webmasters offering to participate in a three way link trade, had anything to do with thier Google problems?
Old 04-21-2005   #128
Voodoo Buddha
Voodoo Buddha

Voodoo Buddha is on a distinguished road
Blaming the customer

So its the customer's job to cut through the schmaltz, and just simply take it as an acceptable (albeit desparate) means of getting attention and making false insinuations? (Offer for sex as a means of initial enticement, then expecting the customer to accept the joke and now be captivated by an SEM company who considers a sensible use of their marketing budget should be spent on sterotypical hot chicks.)

There's a good way and a bad way of appealing the our baser instincts. At least the Web Analytics company, ClickTracks, did a good job by having an Elvis Impersonator roam the expo a few conferences back in San Jose, handing out Enquirer-style newspapers of him with the ClickTracks "Alien" icon. Titilating but never pretending to be something its not.

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 04-21-2005 at 09:43 PM. Reason: innapropriate - attacking
Old 04-21-2005   #129
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
At the end of the day, I guess it boils down to two questions:

1. Did it work? I imagine only SEOInc would know the answer to this. I suspect the rest of us will know when we see their next booth staff

2. Is the industry prepared to accept it? There is a difference between accepting and embracing, of course. Personally, I would never use booth babes, but I might use local help to provide a presence at a booth when I could not be there (I can't be everywhere at once).

They would be dressed professionally and actually know something about the company, but that's just me - I tend to have conservative clients, and I'm conservative myself.

If my clients were all adult or beer companies and that was my target market, I might have a very different opinion as to the acceptability of booth babes, and they may be quite effective for my target audience.

The question then would be whether or not the industry would accept it. There can be things that are effective yet unacceptable, and that's pretty much an industry issue.

Canadian lawyers, for example, have determined that TV ads that sell legal services in the same way and manner as used cars, and offering free gifts for new clients, are unacceptable. It's not illegal, and might even be effective, but it's considered bad for the industry as a whole, for example. This is not true in some other countries, where anything goes, as long as it's legal.

I'm not sure we are at the point where we have an "industry" in the sense that it could come to an enforcable consensus yet. Some groups are trying , but I think it will be a while yet. So it would be up to Jupiter Media and the venue/hotel in question for now, I imagine.

No answers, just some thoughts.

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 04-21-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2005   #130
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Buddha
So its the customer's job to cut through the schmaltz, and just simply take it as an acceptable (albeit desparate) means of getting attention and making false insinuations? (Offer for sex as a means of initial enticement, then expecting the customer to accept the joke and now be captivated by an SEM company who considers a sensible use of their marketing budget should be spent on sterotypical hot chicks.)

There's a good way and a bad way of appealing the our baser instincts. At least the Web Analytics company, ClickTracks, did a good job by having an Elvis Impersonator roam the expo a few conferences back in San Jose, handing out Enquirer-style newspapers of him with the ClickTracks "Alien" icon. Titilating but never pretending to be something its not.
Thats not an assumption voodoo thats an opinion, and if you will take the trouble to read and understand the thread you will see that there was no sex involved anywhere but in your mind.

Personally If I have my choice of looking at Elvis impersonators or attrative women I'll take the women evey time.

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 04-21-2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: follow on edit from post appove
Old 04-21-2005   #131
lots0

Quote:
Personally If I have my choice of looking at Elvis impersonators or attrative women I'll take the women evey time.
Me too. (...this is a me too post )

Old 04-22-2005   #132
James Liddell
Retired Journalist/Editor and Military Public Affairs Officer

James Liddell is on a distinguished road
Wink People want to get back to having fun!

There is a very obvious reaction to PC building in this nation and, frankly, elsewhere in the world. People want to get back to having fun, kidding with each other--kidding each other, being naughty and just plain being human again, instead of cheeks-sucked-in puritans.

The age of the whine is ending and I, for one, am glad to see it go.

Let's have fun again is the coming new rule.

Get used to it.

Jim
Old 04-22-2005   #133
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
It's actually probably nearing time to close off this thread, so I'll do a call for last orders on commenting.

I actually contacted SEO Inc. a few weeks ago, because I was curious to know what exactly they thought. Was going to make it into a blog post, but since the thread has reawakened, I'll dump here. Here are the questions sent to their PR company answers:

Question: Did they find in the end that it was worthwhile to have these women in the booth?

Answer: SEO, Inc.'s purpose at SES was to raise brand awareness for our company and overall interest in Search Engine Optimization as an important and growing segment of Search Engine Marketing. We feel these goals were accomplished, and done so within boundries approved by Jupiter Media for this trade show.

Question: Any reaction to some of those who said is was demeaning to women?

Answer: The models at our booth were professionals with expertise in trade show promotion. Our employees, including the female employees, were all wearing suits, and we also received negative comments regarding their attire.

Question (follow up to the above): On the negative comments, you mean people were saying they didn't want the female employees in suits? What did they want them to be wearing? Did they object to the men being in suits?

Answer: SEO Inc employees, including both male and female, were criticized by their attire by a variety of negative comments some of which are listed in the discussion on SearchEngineWatch.com.

Question:
Any thought on whether they might have men in the same capacity?

Answer:
Simply, our purpose is to raise brand awareness, not gender politics!

So back to Ian -- yes, I think they felt it worked, but the real answer will be if they or someone else repeats it.

Is the industry ready to accept it? I think the debate certainly says not entirely. In the end, I suspect it's going to be up to each company to make a decision.
Old 04-22-2005   #134
rankforsales

rankforsales is on a distinguished road
Personally, I think its inappropriate and out of context. I do understand if some women in our industry would have been offended by this.

If SEO Inc. needs to revert to 'booth babes' to convince clients 'to be on top', maybe they are missing the point.
Old 04-22-2005   #135
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
It's probably also important to realize that usually the people posting on the "yay" or "nay" side of this type of thread are vocal and opinionated, which is why they post (not me, of course - I'm merely a humble servant of fora with no opinions whatsoever! )

For example, SEW Forums is rapidly coming up to it's 5000th member and 1st year anniversary, yet I suspect less than 5% of it's members actually post. The rest lurk and learn.

We don't know if their opinions are mirrored here or not. It would be interesting to find out what the silent majority think about all of this.

Perhaps they have strong feelings but think that their viewpoint has been adequately presented by some of the posters, or perhaps they simply consider it a non-issue.

It would be interesting to find out which. Until then, I agree that this thread has pretty much run out of steam and that all the major opinions and sides have been represented, and represented well.

Ian

Last edited by mcanerin : 04-22-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2005   #136
Cyanbane

Booth Babes.

Neither Yay or Nay here. I could care less (I still get 2 tickets for free beer right?).

I am just amazed it has raised so much attention.

Old 06-07-2005   #137
SanDiegoSEO

SanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightingale
Marcia,
I do not see any messages from SeoInc on this forum! Guess why!!!!
They do not have time for this.
They working probably on thousand leads from SES NY expo!
And that was the whole point!
What I saw they had triple traffic by their both that had searchenginewatch ))

Enjoy, be happy for them and have a great Day.
Nightingale
TMunny is an SEO Inc employee
Old 06-07-2005   #138
SanDiegoSEO

SanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the roughSanDiegoSEO is a jewel in the rough
Like htme or hate them, the purpose of having a booth at a trade show is to attract people to it. If their booth was busy then they did what they set out to do. You cannot ban booth girls. The pictures I've seen were not unexceptable.

You will always offend some people. Theres no point in trying to avoid it. SEO Inc needed a way to attract people to their booth. If they hadn't had any people come by, what would be the point? I work in a casual work environment, and the attire I've seen the booth girls wear is similar to what I see in my office. Who is to say having slack and a tanktop is inappropriate, when many women at the SES shows wear tight skirts?

Would it have made a difference if the girls knew anything about SEO??? Seems the female employees that SEO Inc brought were dressed professionally. So they used the "do what it takes to get them here, then use our experience to keep them here" tactic. Seems the majority of people that are complaining about it, are those that wouldnt have ended up using SEO for their services anyway.
Old 06-07-2005   #139
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Thanks -- hadn't actually realized this thread was still open. I'd mentioned earlier I'd be closing it, since the debate all around seemed to have run its course. So actually making that closure now.
Closed Thread