Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2005   #21
ThomasB

ThomasB is on a distinguished road
"Pinakothek der Moderne" is said to be fantastic. Unfortunately I didn't make it in so far. The queues are very rare these days, at least as far as I can see and I can see it from my livingroom window.

Guys, whoever comes into town, drop me a line and I'm happy to show you the city or join you for a beer or food.
ThomasB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #22
GlobalSEO

GlobalSEO will become famous soon enough
Arrived in Munich... I am at the Sheraton across from the Conference hotel. Would like to meet up with folks who are here and maybe get dinner/drinks at the Hofbrau House tonight or tomorrow night.
GlobalSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #23
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
How is it over there?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #24
GlobalSEO

GlobalSEO will become famous soon enough
SES Munich Round Up

While this will not be a Rusty Brick quality post I will try to give an overview of the event for those who were not able to attend.

First, the majority of the sessions were in German and while I am here a half-dozen times a year, my German is not what it should be, so there will not be a lot of commentary on the sessions. I will leave that to ThomasB and Tim Ringel and the other native speakers.

This was my 4th German SES and the 3rd in Munich as a speaker. This was by far the biggest and best to date. The attendees and speakers I met all indicated they were pleased with the event so congrats go out to Matt Finley and his team from Jupiter and of course, Danny.

The night before the event kicked off with ThomasB securing an awesome restaurant for a for the out-of-towners and the local German folks that overlooked the MarienPlatz in Munich. The MarienPlatz is the main square with the city hall building. This building has a beautiful front façade with a glockenspiel that activates at various times of the day. It is one of the highlights of Munich.

The dinner started interestingly enough with no English language menus [I know it is Germany and should not expect them, but it is the center of a major tourist area and every other restaurant we ate at this trip had them] so we relied on the native speakers to help us out. We were struggling until Danny suggested they give the “animal” and the “vegetable” that was in each dish and we would start with that. This was a prime example of why international keyword research is so difficult and should be left to the pros.

The meal was excellent, the best I had this trip, and a sincere thanks to ThomasB for setting it up and picking up the tab. The rest of the night was the typical pre-SES networking, drinking and BS sessions. It was very strange that in the land of Octoberfest we were having trouble locating a open pub. Again ThomasB came through and took us to a place that was pretty cool.

The two-day event was attended by around 160 in addition to the exhibitors and speakers. In my first session Big Sites/Big Brands with Thomas and Tim there were over 50 people and more then half indicated they were from a big site or a big brand. This was very encouraging for this market. Most indicated they face the same problems as the other markets with budgets, managers not understanding the concept and a lack of support from corporate marketing and/or IT.

The second session, dynamic sites that I did with Mikkel, was almost full and had a very enthusiastic audience that actually asked questions. For those who have never been to a German event, the locals tend not to ask many questions in public.

The general conscientious was that the German market still has a long way to go for Search to be fully embraced by companies who spend the majority of their budgets on TV and print advertising. According to the SEO/SEM’s I spoke with they are having a good year and business is growing. Still, paid placement is the more popular technique since it requires minimal effort on behalf of the advertiser.

Also, like in most of Europe, the traditional agency or interactive agencies tend to handle the paid programs which is executed through a 3rd party SEM.

These smaller shows are great since you can spend a lot of quality time with a few people and gain so much more knowledge especially about local market SEO. I had hours of conversation with old and new friends and came away with a deeper knowledge of this market and what it has to offer advertisers.

I will try to dig up some of the statistics of the market and some other tidbits that might be of interest.

I was supposed to go to SES Tokyo next week with Motoko but I have another commitment and she is going solo. Next up is the road trip to Toronto!
GlobalSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #25
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Great post Bill and thanks! Unfortunately I had to cancel both Munich and Tokyo but am looking forward to Ad:Tech San Francisco later this month as well as SES Toronto in May and SES London in June. I'm sure Motoko will have a great time in her homeland. See you guys soon.

ThomasB - Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #26
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I left Bill in Münich a few hours ago and just came back to Copenhagen. Tired as usual after a good conference. And it was good! Allthough I have the same "handicap" as Bill not speaking German as well as I wish I could, my general feeling was also that attendies and speakers alike where very happy with the event.

For anyone that only knows the northern part of Germany you owe it to yourself yo go to Münich. It is so different than any other part of Germany I've been to: The food, the people and the city and area. I must say, that I personally like it a lot.

I have never figured out why Germany, apparently, seems to lack behind most of the rest of Nothern Europe when it comes to spending money on search marketing. They have a high Internet penetration, high educated people (with credit cards) and a lot of very skilled Internet professionals. However, from what I hear it looks like things are slowly getting better which could lead to the same dramatic incrase in spendings we've seen in Scandinavia in the past 18 month. Lets hope so. It's a huge market.

The only negative thing I have to say about the event is that I wish the hotels chosen for the SES events would have Internet access at the rooms. They did have wireless in the lobby but that was it. However, this is also often the case at the US events - allthough, it has been getting better at recent events. I know there are many considerations when finding the right conference location but I just feel so "lost" without a good Internet connection in my room
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #27
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Awesome recap, sorry I couldn't be there with you guys.

Toronto Road Trip here we come!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005   #28
Andy AtkinsKruger
CEO Web Certain; Editor 'Multilingual Search'; President SMA-UK

Andy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the roughAndy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the roughAndy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the rough
Munich overview

Munich was an interesting conference and I was fortunate to meet Bill for the first time! I'm fortunate to understand German - and I've blogged most of this at our multilingual search blog if you want to read more - but here's a quick overview:-

The new search engine Seekport which launched last year, announced that it will be expanding into Italy, Spain and Scandinavia. Seekport already exists in English (for the UK), French and German, has its own index and uses Espotting for its results.

Neomo.de is a further new German language search engine which will be launching sometime this summer. It also has its own index.

allesklar.de is a local search directory in Germany - and declared that they are seeing dramatic increases in local search and are currently are at 50 million searches per month.

Marcus Schreiner, the business manager for MSN in Germany was pushed by a questioner to say that he anticipated MSN targeting an increase from 4% of the German market to at least 20-30%. Intriguing thought!

Most interesting presentation on PPC came from Professor Dr. Eduary Heindl of Heindl.de who was using Excel scatter charts of Adwords results to identify clusters of conversion based on position and volume. He demonstrated that position matters for conversion - but you don't always want to be top. We disagreed with his application of this mathematical and statistical approach to totally removing adwords phrases which, in his view, were inappropriate and the debate which followed was the most heated of the entire conference. Professor Heindl would not be moved from his position of total reliance on the statistics.

Local search came across as a very important topic for the German market, even more so than other European countries, because of its size and federal nature. Yahoo demonstrated its beta local system for Germany - but Overture also said that the complementary local system from Overture would not be launched until later this year.

Robert Bierman of webeffekt.de demonstrated a method for weighting rank positions based on the importance of certain search engines to give a visibility measure which you could compare with competitor positions (personally - I disagreed fundamentally with this - but interesting nonetheless).

My general conclusions are that - you should include Espotting on German campaigns because they seem to be getting increasingly well positioned. Broadband penetration in Germany is exceptionally high - and you have to expect this market to show dramatic growth - perhaps when the economy grows a little more.
Andy AtkinsKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #29
zgb999

zgb999 is on a distinguished road
Any news from Google's Douwe Osinga

The conference was without Matt Cutts from what I have seen.

Any news from Douwe Osinga? What did he talk about?
zgb999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #30
Andy AtkinsKruger
CEO Web Certain; Editor 'Multilingual Search'; President SMA-UK

Andy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the roughAndy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the roughAndy AtkinsKruger is a jewel in the rough
News on Google

In fact Google had a pretty low profile - Douwe being the only speaker with an involvement in organic. He did the usual presentation on how page rank works in a session on linking - but the other speakers - Alan Webb, Thomas Bindl, and Mike Grehan - gave a more in-depth view.

If you have seen Matt Cutts on a 'Meet the crawlers' session elsewhere - then you wouldn't have learnt anything extra from Douwe. In general, if you wanted to learn anything about organic - this wouldn't have been the ideal conference unless you wanted to hear it summarised in German. That's not a criticism by the way, Munich was much more useful for seeing behind the scenes of local German developments - rather than US-based engines.
Andy AtkinsKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #31
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
A quick chip in from me, as it was my first trip to Munich for SES.

As Mikkel has already mentioned, it seems odd to have a conference which attracts so many internet users, for both business and personal, that doesn't have high speed access.

My room had dial-up access at a speed slower than the fax machine I bought in 1989! So, I have to live with caterpillar speed.. I could live with that, it was the fact that someone had mailed me a copy of a webcast I was involved in, at a weight of over 22 meg!!!

Matthew (show organiser) is a lovely chap, but *please* think about a venue with wi-fi on every floor.

Apart from that, it was much like SES usually is. Very professionally organised, with the added bonus that the dreaded sandwich lunchbox at the US events, has not been transferred to Europe. Hence, the beautiful hot buffet in the Bavarian restaurant.

It was remotely interesting to hear Douwe, from Google, as the new boy perpetuating the Google green fairy dust story in German...

It was less interesting that Alan Webb spilled a glass of beer over my trousers five minutes before our session. It certainly can take your focus of attention away when your shorts are dripping German beer down your legs as you speak.

Still - I'll get him in London

Only one more thing to add which made the whole thing worth while and that's... Thomas Bindl... Thanks for a great time!

Cheers!
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #32
ThomasB

ThomasB is on a distinguished road
Guys, thanks for the nice words. I think it's the least I can do for friends that come to my city. I hoped you saw a bit of the real Germany and not what a lot of foreigners think when coming here.

It was a pleasure having you all here and speaking to you. Whenever somebody comes to Munich, give me a shout and I'm happy to show you around.
ThomasB is offline   Reply With Quote