Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2005   #1
grnidone
Righteous Babe.

grnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nicegrnidone is just really nice
Google Caught Cloaking and Keyword Stuffing

Sorry for the one liner, but I'm off to a meeting. I find this very interesting indeed.

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/1774
grnidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #2
lots0

Not News.

Google Has been using these kind of methods for quite some time.
Old 03-07-2005   #3
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Do you have any actual prior examples of keyword cloaking, rather than IP redirection, though?

Certainly looks like quite a story.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #4
mtnviewmayhem

mtnviewmayhem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lots0
Not News.

Google Has been using these kind of methods for quite some time.
Yes. I'd like to see more examples of Google offering different content on their web pages when browsing with the user agent: Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

Do you have any?

<title>
traffic estimator, traffic estimates, traffic tool, estimate traffic
Google AdWords Support: Can I get traffic estimates without adding keywords or creating ads?
</title>
mtnviewmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #5
lots0

So one example is not good enough?
My suggestion is that you take some time and do your own research. The examples are and have been there, if you look.

Quote:
...when browsing with the user agent: Googlebot/2.1
Now why would google use a user agent sniffer? Serving content based on the user agent is soooo 2001.
Old 03-07-2005   #6
mtnviewmayhem

mtnviewmayhem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So one example is not good enough?
My suggestion is that you take some time and do your own research. The examples are and have been there, if you look.

Now why would google use a user agent sniffer? Serving content based on the user agent is soooo 2001.

Look where?
mtnviewmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #7
xan

xan has a spectacular aura aboutxan has a spectacular aura about
Wouldn't all this imply that Google was cheating to get ranked by itself?
xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #8
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan
Wouldn't all this imply that Google was cheating to get ranked by itself?
certainly not the proposed democratic web concept they talk about, eh?
Old 03-09-2005   #9
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Apparently Google have banned itself for cloaking! Yes, it's not a joke, so they did!! ... sorry, but that is toooo funny

See GoogleGuys reply here:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28470.htm

However, it also raises a few questions unaswered

1) Why do Google apparently have a build in cloaking system in their own publication software (see GoogleGuys answer for details that describe this as a general function within the support publishing system)

2) It looks like the system is made to work for all engines - so do Google cloak in general to gain better rankings by keyword-stuffing and title spamming?

3) Has Google completely lost tuch of what goes on inside the Plex?

4) What happens to the employees that apparently cannot even live up to Googles own TOS - or, do the TOS not count for Google?

5) Do Google employees really know this little about SEO that they don't know how to rank a PR10 site properly? (please, hire ANY SEO and they'll show you - ranking a PR10 site is SO DAMN easy it should almost be illegal!)

There are probably more relevant questions to ask - but I am sure there are no good answers ...
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005   #10
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Oh yes, one more relevant question: I hope they get all the money back from the internal "SEOs" that have done this as we all know Google recomend a full unconditional money back guarantee on all SEO work your company pays for ... right?
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #11
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Quote:
Serving content based on the user agent is soooo 2001.
You must be new to the game. user-agent cloaking went out years before 2001
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #12
PhilC

PhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud ofPhilC has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel deMib Svendsen
4) What happens to the employees that apparently cannot even live up to Googles own TOS - or, do the TOS not count for Google?
Of course they don't. They don't have to comply with any Terms of Service of it because they are not making use of the service - the *are* the service
Old 03-10-2005   #13
lots0

Quote:
You must be new to the game.
Not new, but newer (and better looking) than you...
Old 03-10-2005   #14
PhilC

ooooo.... I think we should ask the girls about that
Old 03-10-2005   #15
Connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC
Of course they don't. They don't have to comply with any Terms of Service of it because they are not making use of the service - the *are* the service
Right on. On the other hand what Google did wasn't the best move regardless of the reasons. I think they realize that. But it has made for some interesting reading the last few days.
Old 03-11-2005   #16
xan

xan has a spectacular aura aboutxan has a spectacular aura about
what I mean is they do what they like. It is irrelevant for them to rank high, its their engine.
xan is offline   Reply With Quote