Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you care about PageRank?
I live and die by PageRank, both the toolbar and whatever results in the algo to gain rankings. 3 9.38%
I don't care much about the PageRank number but I don't completely ignore it because I understand it’s part of the ranking factor. 24 75.00%
I know all about PageRank and I'm happier ignoring it. 5 15.63%
I don't understand what PageRank is, therefore I don't care. 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2005   #1
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quick POLL check - Do you care about PageRank?

Curious to see where most of us stand on this subject today? This POLL was made to just do a quick thermometer test on PageRank's popularity. By PageRank I mean as it is defined by Google here or if you want to be more creative and technical, then as it is defined in the patent. There is no need to debate in this thread, just take the poll and enjoy watching the results.

When we first started this thread the POLL asked:

Do you care about PageRank?

Yes or No

The result to this poll was the following:

After discussion from Members and valuable feedback, we have reset the POLL and modified it to the following:

Do you care about PageRank?
  • I live and die by PageRank, both the toolbar and whatever results in the algo to gain rankings.
  • I don't care much about the PageRank number but I don't completely ignore it because I understand it’s part of the ranking factor.
  • I know all about PageRank and I'm happier ignoring it.
  • I don't understand what PageRank is, therefore I don't care.

Please vote!

Note: This poll is private, so no other Member will see your vote.

Last edited by Nacho : 01-29-2005 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Clarified instructions and changes to the POLL on first post.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #2
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
A few more options would be nice, I don't care much about PageRank but I don't completely ignore it so what should I vote??
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #3
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
A "NO" answer could also mean that although you glance over the toolbar once in a while (if this applies) and see your score or other pages score. However, if you answer "NO" it means that:

a) You don't understand what PageRank is, therefore you don't care.
b) You don't really care if your score goes up or down, without the extremes of course.
c) You don't care about getting links that have X PageRank, or giving away links when your PageRank score is Y.
d) You don't care, because it is your belief that this is just a marketing stunt by the Google folks at the plex.
e) You simply go abouts your SEM business only caring about rankings visible on the SERPs and not about any of these algorithmic values such as PageRank.
f) etc....

You get the idea. Looking at it is normal. Living by it is another story.
Old 01-28-2005   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I sure do care about PageRank. But...

Quote:
e) You simply go abouts your SEM business only caring about rankings visible on the SERPs and not about any of these algorithmic values such as PageRank.
While mainly concerned with visible rankings in the SERPs (and quality of traffic) rather than any one particular ranking factor, I still believe that having a basic understanding of algorithmic factors, including PageRank, can give us a solid foundation for what we do.

No, I'm not at all interested in being a PR-watcher who gets excited about following and chronicaling every little movement - I think it's a waste of time that could be better spent doing other things.

I do, however, thoroughly believe in reading the "papers" out there, not only for the sheer enjoyment of it, but because while it's a very "left brain" analytic type of activity, I find that even without in-depth following and comprehension of the complex maths, there are nuggets to be found in them that can inspire the "right-brain" creativity we need, and spark ideas for those little methods that can sometimes give an edge that would not otherwise have been thought of.

The best we have now is an approximation of PR, but even that ballpark type of information can give a general idea of what we might need to know, so it still has value - with balance, and in proper perspective.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #5
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Or maybe I think there are more important things to worry about, but realize that PageRank is some (small) portion of the Google algo, but I don't obsess over it so I should vote NO or (maybe yes).

Or maybe I should vote no because I do understand PageRank and feel that it has been devalued.

OR maybe I should vote yes because I understand PageRank is a ranking factor and although I don't much care about it, I don't ignore it either.

As I said more options would make the issue much clearer since this really is not a black or white issue.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
OR maybe I should vote yes because I understand PageRank is a ranking factor and although I don't much care about it, I don't ignore it either.
That's what I based the "yes" on Mel, because I agree with you that it isn't a black and white issue. PR isn't without importance (ask anyone with a PR0 how important it is), but it's only ONE factor out of many and imho the undue emphasis sometimes placed on it is - again, just imho - out of balance and blown up out of proportion.

Right now all 3 of the majors have either begun using stemming and/or have papers published on semantic analysis and/or are actively seeing linguistic experts (Yahoo, to be exact). There's a change in the direction of "the winds" in search and whatever time that can be spared is better spent looking into more effective use of language and natural language processing as it relates to search, as well as the fine points of local search that differ somewhat from what we've been doing.

Google is synonymous with PR, and we *do* need to know how it works, at least on a basic level in order to function, but all the engines are evolving into more sophistication in determing relevance and that's what we need to watch for and keep up with. Just MHO - PR maybe 10% of interest, the rest 90%.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #7
Mike

Mike is on a distinguished road
love it or hate it, I really don't see how it can be ignored. Not because it's what google says about your site's popularity, but because it's just an easy way to tell if you have strong incoming links or weak ones -- same for your competitors. Since Yahoo also factors incoming links, this can help tell you how well you can rank in yahoo as well, by telling you that your inc links are strong. Y! obviously doesn't use PR but it still sees those incoming links.

I think everyone agrees that if your market's top 10 pages are all PR8 and PR7, you will be absolutely nowhere until you get into that range. You may get into the top 10 with a PR6, or MAYBE even a PR5, but PR4? not often..

but that's not because of the PR, it's because of the incoming links. I think that's the important thing to remember -- you don't get inc links for PR, you get them to further mark your site as an authority, which shows to all engines, and is later reflected in your PR
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #8
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
Depends on the pagerank you're talking about. If you mean toolbar pagerank - the little green bar viewable to us webmasters - then the answer is a laugh, with a no. If you are talking about true behind the scenes PR based on link popularity that we are not privy to see or know the calculation of, then I would say yes. Though I most certainly care more about anchor text than I do even the latter type of pagerank.

So, I can't answer the poll question, but, hey, at least I threw in my two cents .
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #9
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
I'll check the box marked "Somewhere in between", once its added to the poll.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #10
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
I think the green bar is cute!!!
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #11
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
PageRank also confers credibility. A lot of webmasters are pretty dismissive of low PR sites. And that may impact online business.

Point is, PageRank matters in different ways to different people.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #12
sugarrae
I Should Be Working

sugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura aboutsugarrae has a spectacular aura about
I can certainly agree with that Brian. A lot of people still chase green. It is a valueable commodity if you sell text advertising on your site.
sugarrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #13
Nacho

OK, you guys are right. Perhaps it should be a yes / no question and be more refined or opened to other options. I will be glad to re-do it, reset it and launch it. Please tell me, what you think would be the best survey to to get a quick thermostat check on PageRank's popularity.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2005   #14
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

As a subject to be examined, yes I do care. As a mathematical curiosity is an interesting toy. However, I really don't care or give a damn about the PageRank metric since its inception or as is now nor I respect it from the theoretical standpoint, either. Too many fallacies and false assumptions embedded from the get go. Still as a scientist I must be open to test/prove/disprove their subjective, patented opinion.

Orion

Last edited by orion : 01-28-2005 at 04:13 PM.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #15
St0n3y
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.

St0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to allSt0n3y is a name known to all
How about:

I don't want to care, but am forced to for various reasons.
St0n3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #16
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0n3y
I don't want to care, but am forced to for various reasons.
I like that one, somehow where it's not about the little number on the toolbar, but it about . . . .how do I make my site gain in the SERPs do to this number as part of the algorithmic equation taken into account for the overall rankings.

How about these 3 alternatives:

a) I live an die by PageRank, both the toolbar and whatever results in the algo to gain rankings.

b) I don't want to care, but am forced to for various reasons.

c) You don't understand what PageRank is, therefore you don't care.

Better?
Old 01-28-2005   #17
cre8pc
Usability Consultant

cre8pc will become famous soon enough
Since the birth of PR scores, I've strongly disliked them. They're an inhumane, judgemental measurement based on mathematical mumbo jumbo, and yet one's entire self-esteem, or worse, business reputation or sales, can be crushed the moment that toolbar goes anywhere below "6".

How hypocritical is it for Google to say, "Do no evil" and then turn around and devise a scoring system that pits new sites against old-timers with tons of in-bound links or home business startups against corporate giants who had brand recognition before they ever dreamed of putting up a website?

Truthfully, I don't believe the Google toobar PR score was anything more than a cute way to promote their search engine. It never meant anything of value, but sure screwed with a few egos for awhile. And, made for lots of lively articles, papers and debates - all of which led right back to Google and put them on the stock exchange.

Raising hell (or letting others do it for you) is a beautiful thing when its your wallet that's benefitting from it.

And while I'm at it, I'd just like to say that though my sites have a score of "whatever", I'm still not afraid to go out in public. That bag over my head is just to prevent the sun from giving me more freckles and causing more age lines on my face.

cre8pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #18
randfish

randfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to allrandfish is a name known to all
As far as I know, PageRank is the only metric we have as optimizers for measuring the global popularity of a site/page. I can't imagine someone in our business ignoring any metric, no matter how cruddy.

I care about PageRank, inbound Links, my rank in the SERPs, the age of my site, how often it gets crawled, its Alexa ranking, and on and on...

I think it's probably naive to say you don't care if you really are optimizing a site to rank better in the search engines. The only exception I would imagine is if you're optimizing for Teoma, in which case, you only worry about local popularity.

All that said, I really don't watch the green bar when getting links, working on a site, etc. But, I can't say that I don't care about it.

Nacho - maybe add:
d) I know all about PageRank and I'm happier ignoring it
randfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #19
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

In addition to the so many fallacies embedded in this patented opinion or prank (short for PageRank), Nacho, you forgot to mention how easy is to game this "link popularity metric":

Link citation-literature citation analogy: Debunked.
Link Popularity: "Digitally-pointed", gamed, and debunked.
Perron-Frobenius applicable assumption: Debunked
Users "never click back": U-turned, already.
Recycled relevancy: Already gamed and exposed.

and the list goes on.

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #20
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by randfish
Nacho - maybe add:
d) I know all about PageRank and I'm happier ignoring it
LOL! I'd be happy to