Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004   #21
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
They have that text on the side of their black stealth helicopter
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #22
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
should read:
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, while profiting by delivering targeted advertisements near the information.
Given the fact that 98% of thier income is from "contextual advertising" (isn't it nice how they can dream up this kind of obfuscation rather that just saying PPC ads?) could it be that this is the real focus of Google and all those engineers are not working on ways to build a better organic search, but instead are working on ways to make Adwords even more profitable?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #23
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Given the fact that 98% of thier income is from "contextual advertising" (isn't it nice how they can dream up this kind of obfuscation rather that just saying PPC ads?) could it be that this is the real focus of Google and all those engineers are not working on ways to build a better organic search, but instead are working on ways to make Adwords even more profitable?
the illusion of a much better search technology is necissary to build the network to make AdWords more profitable though.
Old 12-06-2004   #24
Mel
Just the facts ma'm

Mel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really niceMel is just really nice
So I guess the Public Relations people work on the illusion, which the engineers work on Adwords?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #25
Dave Hawley
Please remove heart from sleeve before replying

Dave Hawley will become famous soon enoughDave Hawley will become famous soon enough
Quote:
illusion
Never knew Google did illusions.

How dare Google profit from running the most popular SE on the planet. How dare they send me so much paying traffic via free inclusion and AdWords.

seobook, if you have a site, I take it you have a robots.text file telling Google not to index any pages of your site?
Dave Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #26
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
*Glengara are you saying that you manually checked those 139,000 links and verified that all are relevant (to the search term ) anchor text links?*

Thought I'd leave that for someone who is either unfamiliar with the internet.commerce network, or wishes to desperately clutch at straws ;-)
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #27
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Quote:
I think I might, though it may not be popular here.

While looking at some of the directories that advertise on the internet.commerce network, I thought I'd look at how some of the other advertisers were doing.
Thought I'd clear up this reference -- it's about the little internet.commerce links that show up in the left-hand side of the page.

These are links Jupitermedia, which publishes this site, runs across all the sites it operates.

I've posted about this program before, but here's some additional background:

1) It predates Google and the heavy use of link analysis by search engines. IE, it wasn't designed as a way for people to build up links for search ranking purposes.

2) Jupiter tells me it is specifically not sold as a means of getting better rankings on Google.

I don't handle the program -- it's an ad thing, and I deal with only editorial. However, I can say anyone considering it should measure against my threegolden rules of link building, the key one in this case being:

Quote:
Rule 2 - Buy links if visitors that come solely from the link will justify the cost
Personally, I'm not surprised if the sites in those boxes aren't ranking well for those terms. It's fairly easy for a search engine to see that the same link, with the same anchor text, may appear on hundreds of pages and decide to discount the weight of those links. Not ban! Not hurt! Just not give the links as much credit as if there were hundreds of links to a site with variety to anchor text and domain locations.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #28
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hawley
Quote:
Because 1 link from 1000 different domains has roughly 1000 times the value of 1000 links from a single domain.
At last, someone has posted some common sense instead of common belief!
No - it's part of common belief. Or - at least - the idea of targeting links from a wide spread of IP ranges, rather than just links from one domain, has been a constant mantra at v7n:

Quote:
Getting keyword rich inbound links from many different sites (from various IP ranges) is the single best way to improve your Google rankings.

- Aaron Wall
Best selling author, SEO book
www.seobook.com

Link building is indeed the way to top rankings. Getting links with the right anchor text is the key to SEO. But - here's the secret - it's not the number of links per se, but the number of unique domains and IP's that are linking to you.

- John Scott
Creator of Bluefind Directory and the v7n webmaster community.
It is also a foundation policy in a lot of commercial link building work.

However, link building isn't always about numbers within a site, or numbers across an IP range. Links are not all created equally.

But as to the original question - "Do Run Of Site Links Work?" - sure they do. But they are not necessarily going to be very effective in isolation.

The linking benefits from a single site are generally regarded as limited, but can build up.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #29
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
* Not ban! Not hurt! Just not give the links as much credit..*

I'd agree with that, with one proviso.

IMO, G sees RoS links as a potential "links scheme", and which particular view is taken of them seems to depend on whether other "links schemes" are in play.
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote