Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2004   #1
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Yahoo, Redirection and the Problem with Disappearing Sites

OK... I know this other discussion is not the Yahoo forum but Yahoo was mentioned with regard to the redirect issue

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ead.php?t=2979

The disappearance of sites due to being redirected to is a matter of growing concern to webmasters, as indicated in this discussion back in October

Company URL Vanishes from Index

It's been rumored that Yahoo is dealing with the issue of 301's, 302's and hijacking of domains. It would be nice to have something official or some clarification on what Yahoo is doing to remedy the situation.

Last edited by Marcia : 11-30-2004 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #2
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Redirect Handling

Well I can say we recently revamped the way we handle redirects in Yahoo search. We have documented the behaviors of 301s, 302s and meta refresh redirects in the presentation that I gave at Pubcon in Vegas. I will go through this again at the meet the crawlers session in Chicago next month. The presentation is available for download on the Yahoo Search Blog ( http://www.ysearchblog.com/ ) and is called "Search Engines and Webmasters". The changes have been rolled out and will take place incrementally over the coming weeks.
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #3
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
The changes have been rolled out and will take place incrementally over the coming weeks.
Thanks Tim, and especially for making the information accessible and publicly available to concerned webmasters.

It's a serious issue and just isn't fair! We'll look forward to hearing more on it as the changes roll out and hope to hear about missing sites being restored.
Old 12-01-2004   #4
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I'm doing the Yahooooooo Dance Now! Thank you so much Tim! My prayers have been answered. Drinks are on me in Chicago.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #5
jen
JAVH

jen is on a distinguished road
There are many interesting comments by Tim Converse in the interview. On the problems with redirects he more or less blames webmasters for sloppy maintenance of their sites saying:
Quote:
"The underlying problem is that people out there haven't changed their links and search engines do pay attention to links."
On their perspective on search Converse reckons they have a new mantra:
Quote:
"The big things for us are "relevance," "comprehensiveness," "freshness," and "presentation." That's "RCFP" and it's kind of our mantra...

The way we're approaching search itself has changed a lot.

For instance, comprehensiveness is a much bigger deal these days. In the Inktomi days we wanted just one copy of anything that was good because serving documents costs so much. Now we'd really like to have everything.

So then the challenge is ranking everything appropriately. You really want to put everything out there but then... the challenge is identifying and appropriately ranking it all."
The head to head with Google about index size has been well documented but does the drive by Yahoo! for super sizing their index mean they will be crawling more of the web or lowering their quality criteria so as to increase the number of pages they can shout about?
jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #6
fatbill

fatbill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherTim
Well I can say we recently revamped the way we handle redirects in Yahoo search. We have documented the behaviors of 301s, 302s and meta refresh redirects in the presentation that I gave at Pubcon in Vegas. I will go through this again at the meet the crawlers session in Chicago next month. The presentation is available for download on the Yahoo Search Blog ( http://www.ysearchblog.com/ ) and is called "Search Engines and Webmasters". The changes have been rolled out and will take place incrementally over the coming weeks.
Tim
Thank you for the openness of the information Tim.... any idea when this will be going into affect?

Terms I target have rampant re-directs... IE: 6 of the top 10 are straight meta re-directs....
fatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #7
TheotherTim
Official Y! Rep

TheotherTim will become famous soon enoughTheotherTim will become famous soon enough
Bill,
We are changing the way we treat redirects. If you are seeing spam that is using redirects you can report this at: http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/ys...portsearchspam
If you have examples of ways in which we are treating redirects inconsistently with how we have outlined in the presentation. Please send me forum mail and we will look into it.
Tim
TheotherTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #8
fatbill

fatbill is on a distinguished road
Tim, thanks for the reply.. it really is nice to have a responsive engine! ;-)

that url goes 404, though...
fatbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004   #9
Marcia

Bill, let's see if this works then

To report dodgy URL or redirect problem to Yahoo
Old 12-16-2004   #10
Marcia

Yahoo redirect handling information - link to slide here, message #2:

SES Redirection Recap Thread

It's very clear how they're being handled now.