Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdSense
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Multiple Ads - Different Sizes - Should it Work?

I recently put up a site for a client, the client was awarded adsense privileges. So we decided to put up 3 ads (which is allowed) but in three different size and dimensions, set by the AdSense code generation.

I tried looking for sites that match this criteria, but as you know, when you look for something, its always hard to find.

For some reason, only one of three ads are showing on the page. The client does not want me to publish the URL here.

Ideas why?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
There is probably some security software blocking it on the user side. I thought I saw a forum talking about that once, let me go dig it up.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #3
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Here it is, found it: Norton Blocking AdSense Revenue

After looking at that thread, my question would be, are there any ETHICAL work-arounds to this problem?
Old 11-22-2004   #4
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
So *you* can only see one ad?

What can the client or anyone else see? - it does sound like maybe somthing is blocking it your end but then maybe you've just set it up wrong? - that happens more often to the the case than not when i troubleshoot problems

More details pls rusty...
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #5
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Always need more detail, dont ya.

I am on a Mac, so it is not a norton thing. Also since i can see one ad, I assume its not a security thing.

I tried it on PCs, Mac, IE, Safari, Firefox.

And regard setting it up wrong, it was a copy and paste thing.
Old 11-22-2004   #6
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
So *you* can only see one ad?

What can the client or anyone else see? - it does sound like maybe somthing is blocking it your end but then maybe you've just set it up wrong? - that happens more often to the the case than not when i troubleshoot problems

More details pls rusty...
Yeah, I've seen that before. Adsense allows you to provide an alternative ad you can show that's hosted on your server. Otherwise, you can put a colored background that will apprear as an image in a way that the user will just see a blank spot.
Old 11-22-2004   #7
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
I found the following in the AdSense Support Pages:

Quote:
Can I display more than one set of Google ads on a web page?

Currently, AdSense publishers may place up to three ad units on one web page. Our system will detect the multiple ad units and will display unique ads to each ad unit. This system is optimized for pages with highly targeted Google ads - some pages may not show ads in the second or third ad unit. In this case, the ad unit will show as a transparent box, or will contain any alternate ad or color specified in the ad code.
Possibly the pages you are not seeing the 2nd and 3rd ads on do not attract "highly targeted Google ads" as described above?

Last edited by David Wallace : 11-22-2004 at 04:35 PM.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #8
rustybrick

Well Thank you Mr. Wallace! Good find!
Old 11-22-2004   #9
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light
Since one ad unit it showing, it isn't an ad-blocking feature installed.

Also, different ad unit sizes don't make a difference, I have done that without any problems. You can make each different sizes/colors/etc and that won't be an issue.

As to what the issue actually is, that I know When you ad multiple ad units to a page, I have noticed that it will usually only show ads in the first ad unit - sometimes for days - before they begin appearing in the second and third. Not sure if it is due to an inventory issue, a low priority for newly added multiple ad units, or perhaps they respider the page to get different keyword combos for each ad unit, but I have noticed this many times. It is rare that I see ads in the second and third ad units when viewing a newly uploaded page for the first time - and those ad units without ads will seem to vanish (to prevent three PSA ad units appearing on the same page). So it is a consistent problem, but one that often makes publishers go back and recheck their code to try and figure out what the issue is.

The problem should correct itself within a few days. On rare occassions, there could be a consistent ad inventory problem with not enough ads available, and those second and third units will remain blank. But a quick check with the AdSense Preview Tool can give you a quick idea if there is inventory and whether those ads will eventually show up.
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #10
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
I found the following in the AdSense Support Pages:

Possibly the pages you are not seeing the 2nd and 3rd ads on do not attract "highly targeted Google ads" as described above?
This is more than likely one of the probable reasons... is the generated HTML leaving the 2nd and 3rd boxes empty?

Also have you checked to see if there are enough people running for content in this area?

I passed this along to people I know at Google and should hear back soon... will pass anything I get along ASAP.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenstar
Since one ad unit it showing, it isn't an ad-blocking feature installed.

Also, different ad unit sizes don't make a difference, I have done that without any problems. You can make each different sizes/colors/etc and that won't be an issue.

As to what the issue actually is, that I know When you ad multiple ad units to a page, I have noticed that it will usually only show ads in the first ad unit - sometimes for days - before they begin appearing in the second and third. Not sure if it is due to an inventory issue, a low priority for newly added multiple ad units, or perhaps they respider the page to get different keyword combos for each ad unit, but I have noticed this many times. It is rare that I see ads in the second and third ad units when viewing a newly uploaded page for the first time - and those ad units without ads will seem to vanish (to prevent three PSA ad units appearing on the same page). So it is a consistent problem, but one that often makes publishers go back and recheck their code to try and figure out what the issue is.

The problem should correct itself within a few days. On rare occassions, there could be a consistent ad inventory problem with not enough ads available, and those second and third units will remain blank. But a quick check with the AdSense Preview Tool can give you a quick idea if there is inventory and whether those ads will eventually show up.
Good working knowledge.

The Google people got back and said pretty much.

1. The 2nd and 3rd ads will take a little longer to get on page (numerous reasons all seeming to link to relevancy of terms).

2. The code as always could be wrong but that would generally leave some error message.

3. The site is that niched that there are only a handful of advertisers using content match.

4. That the site is so niched it will not send broader traffic to fill the open spaces.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004   #12
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
I experience this issue on various sites, and it was pretty bewildering at first - I went through the routine of going through the HTML with a fine tooth comb, looking for that stupid error - the missing quote mark or close bracket - that might be responsible.

Since then its become clear that 3 AdSense code boxes in the same page *does not* equal three displayed ads. What's even more frustrating is that the AdSense can be extremely fussy at how it determines the actual keywords for the page, seemingly looking at grammatical body text for keywords, rather than nav link or h tags. And if a page doesn't seem particularly targeted to any particular AdWords set *in the body text*, then it reduces the options for display in the other boxes - leaving 1 or 2 of them empty, as it sees fit.

My recommendation would simply to focus on keywords in the body text itself - see how that works. And also not to despair - it's not that uncommon.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote