Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2004   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
New AdWords Classifications Coming

Sometime in November Google is revamping the classification of keyword status... Strong, Moderate, At Risk and Disabled will be gone. Replacing them will be Active and Disabled, as well as "In Trial".

In Trail has been delivered to meet the problem of quick disabling of terms. Google will use its predictive modelling to know what words are not going to do well and give them more time to run. Instead of the 1,000 impressions and you're out... this new system may allow terms as much as 10 times more access to eyeballs.

There will be a limit to the number of In Trial terms an account can have at any given time.

The Disabling of a term with under .5% CTR will continue.

From Google:
The most noticeable change you’ll see within your account will be a change in keyword status labels for some of your keywords:

- Previously ‘strong, moderate,’ and ‘at risk’ keywords will now be labeled as ‘normal.’

- Previously slowed keywords may enter 'normal, in trial, on hold,' or 'disabled' status; the 'slowed' status label will no longer exist.

- New keyword status labels: ‘in trial’ and ‘on hold.’

Will keep you posted on anything else I get about this.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for the heads up!

The biggest problem I have seen with this type of acceptance concept, is that it DOES NOT take into account SEASONAL KEYWORDS. For example, right now the keyword "holloween costumes" might be HOT, but during spring it might be considered as "at risk" in the older/current model for some account holders. How will this be ever corrected by Adwords or the other PPC providers?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Thank you for the heads up!

The biggest problem I have seen with this type of acceptance concept, is that it DOES NOT take into account SEASONAL KEYWORDS. For example, right now the keyword "holloween costumes" might be HOT, but during spring it might be considered as "at risk" in the older/current model for some account holders. How will this be ever corrected by Adwords or the other PPC providers?
disabled terms need impressions,,, you have to qualify the creatives and qualfy the keywords with negatives etc.
Old 10-31-2004   #4
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
It's good to hear about this. I've long believed that certain popular keywords require a longer leash due to volatility, seasonality, and the like.
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #5
OptimizeOnline

OptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura aboutOptimizeOnline has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgoodman
It's good to hear about this. I've long believed that certain popular keywords require a longer leash due to volatility, seasonality, and the like.
I couldn't agree more. At least Google allows you to bid on keyword phrases and then disables them if they don't appear frequently enough. Bidding on equivalent keywords in Overture can often be more problematic - particularly when they fall below the 'search threshold'. I've no doubt Overture is 'missing a trick' here. It all comes down to server capacity though, so I'm told!
OptimizeOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #6
Web Diversity

Web Diversity will become famous soon enough
We've been campaigning for a review on this sort of thing for a while.

I don't buy the seasonality issue as a factor.

In June the searches for halloween costumes would be minimal so assuming you pick up the same share of the market as a busy time the CTR should be no different.

Our issue has always been one that where you come across a rich vein of nicheness where for the 1 in 20 or so people who think your offering is relevant and click your ad and of those 2 of 3 go on to buy you should be rewarded with longevity, but, instead, because only 5% of the people were ever going to think your ad was relevant, in reality to hit 0.5% you really need a 10% CTR, so, you spend an eternity trying to tweak the CTR on life support sometimes getting flat-lined with no chance of a re-incarnation.

We have got the conclusive proof that when left in the game certain themes of keyword convert into revenue for the client on Google, and the same nicheness on Overture positively oozes sales. All Google can offer is a price reduction for the non-performing words where sales are tracked by the Google pixel based system, currently.

In some sectors there is so much subjectivity that in any instance 4 out of 5 people will think differently when they type in a word, particularly a generic one. Think, loans, travel, insurance, clothing, shoes - the list could go on.

Don't get me wrong I'm all in favour in pushing the envelope out as far as it can go and this is a positive step for certain scenarios, but you disable keywords that produce sales, your losing an income stream for the client, for Google and for the agency managing it (if there is one), it also puts more pressure to perform on those keywords that are left.

In light of conclusive evidence there should be grounds to move the posts a little, in my humble.
Web Diversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #7
Wail
Another member

Wail will become famous soon enoughWail will become famous soon enough
Do you think this could be the "big November announcement" which has been so widely rumoured about?

I was thinking that there was no announcement, just Chinese whispers from the "what would a big announcement be?" thread elsewhere on these forums but perhaps its a mix of that plus a middle-ish news story like this too.
Wail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #8
Web Diversity

Wail,

No this is not the big announcement. But the big announcement will be worth the wait. Someone eminently qualified will be along to fill the GAP soon enough and give you the information you've heard to be a rumour.
Old 11-02-2004   #9
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Diversity
I don't buy the seasonality issue as a factor.

In June the searches for halloween costumes would be minimal so assuming you pick up the same share of the market as a busy time the CTR should be no different.
I dont necissarily buy that seasonality doesn't matter. right around holloween I may be more interested in buying holloween costumes, but out of season I may be writing a research paper or collecting other info about the history of holloween costumes or which ones were the best this year or what trends there are...like here in state college about 1 in 5 girls was dressed up as a football player - yawn.
Old 11-09-2004   #10
doppelganger
User Advocate

doppelganger is on a distinguished road
This is happening

This is happening... like today.
doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #11
AussieWebmaster

Yes it launched today.... will have some more info a little later today.
Old 11-09-2004   #12
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Yes it launched today.... will have some more info a little later today.
As you know......Recent improvements to the keyword evaluation process have resulted in a change in keyword status labels. These improvements eliminate some existing keyword states, while adding new ones; this helps streamline our keyword evaluation process and will help our users find exactly what they’re looking for. The exact changes are as follows:

Previously ‘strong, moderate,’ and ‘at risk’ keywords will now be labeled as ‘normal.’

New keyword status labels: ‘in trial’ and ‘on hold.’

In trial: Keywords slightly below the minimum quality threshold are placed under evaluation status where they will serve normally (‘in trial’) until we’re confident their CTR is well below or well above 0.5%. When we’re confident of their overall CTR performance these keywords may become 'normal' or 'disabled.'

On hold: There are a limited number of in trial keywords per account, so when this limit is reached, excess keywords with the lowest predicted CTR below 0.5% will be moved to on hold status. Keywords in on hold status will be moved to trial status when space becomes available; there is no limit for on hold keywords.

Previously ‘slowed’ keywords will now be grouped into ‘in trial’

When an account is slowed, all ‘in trial’ keywords will be slowed—keywords in all other states will be unaffected

Due to these changes, the keyword status column in the AdWords UI will be updated to reflect the new keyword statuses. In addition, the new statuses will also appear in all keyword and custom reports that are generated. Reports that reference the old states will no longer properly return results.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 11-11-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2004   #13
andrewgoodman

andrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to allandrewgoodman is a name known to all
Any hour now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Diversity
Wail,

No this is not the big announcement. But the big announcement will be worth the wait. Someone eminently qualified will be along to fill the GAP soon enough and give you the information you've heard to be a rumour.
[you sneaky devil Web Diversity, it's not a bid gap you're referring to, so what could it be...]
andrewgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #14
AussieWebmaster

They are running a beta of an API for tracking companies. No longer will there be scrapping... this will be a great addition and am sure it will force hands at other engines... OIverture is working on this as well.
Old 11-10-2004   #15
Web Diversity

Quote:
[you sneaky devil Web Diversity, it's not a bid gap you're referring to, so what could it be...]
Andrew, I couldn't possibly say, as I am not qualified to do so.
Old 11-10-2004   #16
Wail
Another member

This is just the sly old "pretend I know something... but refuse to comment" spin, isn't it?

Very sneaky! (Which, of course, is what all the best forums are built on)
Old 11-10-2004   #17
Web Diversity

Wail,

Definately not pretending anything, just sworn to secrecy but very excited about the news when it goes public. Should be very soon.
Old 11-10-2004   #18
Web Diversity

http://news.zdnet.com/2110-9588_22-5446799.html
Old 11-11-2004   #19
Wail
Another member

Ooops.

I had no idea that was supposed to be a secret.
Old 11-11-2004   #20
Web Diversity

More the timing of the event rather than the content.

Now it's out in the open I am sure you can expect to see a fair amount of publicity.

The My Client Centre is a great tool we have been using for a long time, and if you do manage several clients it will be immensely beneficial in toggling between them, giving you more opportunity to manage the campaigns closely.