SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > CMS and SEO
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011   #1
savantcreative
Ethical Marketing Firm

savantcreative is on a distinguished road
Worpress Question

I am trying to conduct an experiment on a Wordpress installation and need some help. I would like to create the condition that when a visitor navigates to http://example.com/robots.txt they will be shown the contents of my blogs index page however it will be named http://example.com/robots.txt
I am on an Apache server and can use mode rewrite.
Thanks so much for your help.
savantcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Worpress Question

hard to do a redirect of the robots.txt file as the spiders need to see it
Old 01-09-2011   #3
SEORockStar

SEORockStar is on a distinguished road

I don't think this could be possible, as AussieWebmaster told the Spiders won't be able to see it
SEORockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #4
savantcreative
Ethical Marketing Firm

savantcreative is on a distinguished road

Apparently it is possible because I have seen it. I am wondering if it has something to do with keeping bad spiders out of your site?
savantcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #5
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

but what is the purpose of it? you would need to do some type of user recognition on the server to send all but spiders/bots to a different page when they are looking for domain.com/robots.txt
Old 02-03-2011   #6
paulseoworks

My thoughts is that this looks like a dangerous experiment. one worth taking a shot at, but id only do that on New sites, not an existing one.
Old 02-04-2011   #7
AussieWebmaster

cloaking is dangerous
Old 02-19-2011   #8
jesicawillss

jesicawillss is on a distinguished road

I think its not possible. And, clocking is not good.
jesicawillss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #9
paulseoworks

Agreed Aussie/Jess. Cloaking is bad stuff and it is surprising/shocking how many people still do it
Old 07-14-2012   #10
Dodger
Honorary Member

Dodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura aboutDodger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by savantcreative View Post
Apparently it is possible because I have seen it. I am wondering if it has something to do with keeping bad spiders out of your site?
As all have said, what is the point?

You really don't want to keep spiders from reading robots.txt, or try to redirect them.

What you can do, is read your log files and do a block in .htaccess of the IP Class 3 addresses (I use class 3 to block entire blocks of 256 addresses ... assuming they are from same server).

You can block higher classes, or ranges of addresses, that are known to be from pesky bots. You should only do this if it is a REAL problem.

Code:
order allow,deny
deny from 192.168.
deny from 10.0.0.
allow from all
The above code denies access for a class 2 (192.168) and class 3 (10.0.0) address range. The later blocks 256 addresses, the former 256*256 addresses.

I usually add this when I get hit by scrapers. They can come in and hit you hard. You really can't go by their "user-agent" element, for it changes. Better to nip the IP address in the bud.
Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote