Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012   #1
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
Link Tricking By Home Depot

Normally we don't name names here, but we make exceptions if it involves shenanigans by a major brand. Seems that some Home Depot partners have received an email from Home Depot asking for a link and explaining that the site giving the link will gain improved authority score. I wonder how many people are ignorant enough to link to them based on such a blatant misrepresentation. Here's the exact quote:

“Linking to The Home Depot website will benefit our business partners by increasing the page authority of your website. Page Authority predicts the likelihood of a single page to rank well in search results. Ranking high in search results will assist with driving more relevant traffic to your website.”

In another part of the email, there is a suggestion to hide the link.

"Please note that the hyperlink does not have to be visually indicated."

They go on to explain in detail how to code the link with anchor text. Amazing strategy for a big brand I must say.
Old 04-10-2012   #2
bhartzer
Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Expert

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Link Tricking By Home Depot

Interesting, is there any way I can get a copy of the email? I'd like to take a look at it.
Old 04-10-2012   #3
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Bill, it's on a PC at the office. I will email you a copy tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2012   #4
Jenstar

Jenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of lightJenstar is a glorious beacon of light

I'd love to see a full copy of it too
Jenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #5
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of

definitely stupid asking for the link to be obscured, as well as the idea that somehow linking to HD will help the linker. other than that, this is sound strategy and should be fully leveraged especially for big brands that don;t capitalize on their network equity.
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #6
bhartzer

bhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura aboutbhartzer has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the email, John, I posted the full HD email on my blog.

I agree, Chris. I don't have a problem with Home Depot send out emails like this--it's just what they said (obscuring the link) and how they said it (it will help YOUR page authority).
Old 04-12-2012   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

interesting how many places picked up on this thread
Old 04-12-2012   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

You are welcome.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #9
bhartzer

I'm not surprised how may "places" picked this up. There seems to be a lot of scrutiny lately, especially on companies that "should know better".
Old 11-21-2012   #10
gasyoun

gasyoun is on a distinguished road

I hope they did not forget the white text on white background...
gasyoun is offline   Reply With Quote