Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Marketing > Marketing Small Businesses Online
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008   #1
Mark

Mark is on a distinguished road
A few questions

Hi all, first time poster.

I've been set up in my new business for about 6 months now, and I'm just getting to grips with a website re-write to include all the usual SEO stuff.

Can anyone clarify a few things for me:

1: Keyword Density
I've read it should be about 4%: is this for each keyword or for all key words & phrases?

2: Mirror Sites
I had different domains and servers for each county I'm offering a service in: eg county1service.co.uk: county2service.co.uk; county3service.co.uk; ukwideservice.co.uk.

Since all the sites had almost identical content, I've deleted all the websites except the main one, and I'll try to integrate different regions into the main site.

Can I try to get different landing pages (for organic searches) in the site, all then pointing to the same pages about my service, but with different pricing structures, or will I be marked down for this? Should I try to attract a high ranking for all regions and counties onto my index page?

3: PHP
I have used php to build each webpage: so, for example, I can change links by just changing one file: does this cause any SE problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
metasynman
meh-tuh-sin-man

metasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of light
Re: A few questions

Welcome to SEW forums!

1. Don't get too hung up on keyword density. Obviously make sure to include your target keywords in your content, but there's a fine line between proper keyword inclusion and keyword stuffing. Most SE's (Google in particular) use algorithms that also take your supporting text into account, so make sure you're using good descriptive content to support the mention of your keywords. Relevant context is just as important as relevant keywords.

2. Mirror sites can be pretty messy in terms of duplicate content that can cost you points with the SE's. It sounds like you're on the right track of using those URL's for county-specific landing pages with their own unique content and simply refer back to the main site when the time comes. They can share the same design, as spiders don't really pay much attention to your graphics, but make sure the content is specific to each site. If you're having trouble distinguishing the auxiliary sites from the main one, you probably don't need them and can just fall back on 301 redirects.

3. Since you're still in the building phase of your web sites, using PHP templates to globally change links is fine. But make sure you're not changing links that are already garnering you good results in the SERPs. If you do need to change a link for a page that's already listed well, do NOT forget to 301 redirect to the new page so you don't lose too much momentum in the SE's.

Hope this helps and, again, welcome to the boards.
metasynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
Mark

Brilliant, thank you, that's really helpful!

So if I have different index pages for each county (eg indexcounty1.php; indexcounty2.php) to try capture the right search terms, will it matter that these pages aren't linked to much in the rest of the site - as they're just landing pages?
Old 04-22-2008   #4
metasynman
meh-tuh-sin-man

metasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of lightmetasynman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Brilliant, thank you, that's really helpful!

So if I have different index pages for each county (eg indexcounty1.php; indexcounty2.php) to try capture the right search terms, will it matter that these pages aren't linked to much in the rest of the site - as they're just landing pages?
Right... think of these as doorway pages into your main site. Their best use is for SEO & PPC search terms specific to that location as an introduction to your main site. You may throw some nice content links from your main site to the landing pages, but I wouldn't make them part of your main navigation. Your main goal is to get the main site listed for your primary keywords, and use the landing pages for some local long-tail stuff. When searching for backlinks from other sites, only have them linked to these landing pages if the source site is also locale-specific. Otherwise focus on relevant sites to your main site offerings.
Old 04-22-2008   #5
Mark

I'm getting the hang of this I think.

I have a long-haul job getting to the top of the rankings with my product keywords - too many big names in a competitive field.

I'm targeting getting to the top of the rankings when those search terms are combined with local terms. So in other words, the local terms aren't long-tail for me, they're critical.

Anyway, so it sounds like landing pages are the way to go...and put 301 redirects on the old web domains (which hadn't built up much ranking anyway) to the relevant landing pages.

...thanks again.
Old 04-22-2008   #6
metasynman
meh-tuh-sin-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I'm targeting getting to the top of the rankings when those search terms are combined with local terms. So in other words, the local terms aren't long-tail for me, they're critical.
Oh believe me, I understand. Long-tail doesn't necessarily have to mean non-critical. In fact, the more specific you get with your keywords (i.e. "long tail"), the better your conversion process will be. People searching for very specific products (and in this case in a specific location) are much more apt to go deeper into your site if they know you've got exactly what they're looking for. You're much more likely to get a conversion from someone searching for "large red widget with blue trim in London" than someone just searching for "widgets." The latter searcher may still be unsure of what they're looking for... like a window shopper. But the former is searching with a purpose, and it's up to you to assure them that you've got what they're looking for.
Old 04-22-2008   #7
Mark

Yup, I've just read up and have misunderstood long-tail.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2008   #8
CarrieHill
Oversees: Small Business Marketing Online

CarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the rough

@Metasynman - great advice - very well done.

@Mark - I would be very careful to have each of your indexcountry1.php, indexcountry2.php pages have unique content. Even though they're not in your navigation - the search engines will find them via incoming links and it's important you're not repeating text. My general rule is 80% new content on each page - and make very sure if you do reuse content - it's not at the top of your page or in you meta-description or Title tags.
CarrieHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #9
marketraisecorp
Banned

marketraisecorp is on a distinguished road

Hello!
I will try to give answer of your questions--

1.Keyword Density is for each keyword and for each phrase.
2.Sorry i have less idea about Mirror sites.Only the thing i know is that content of mirror sites are copied one.
3.And about Change in links-As u have used PHP,if u will change your extension it will be extended with some other extension like html or some one else.So,google might not be able to trace your web page.So,i think that it will affect SE.

Marketraise

Last edited by CarrieHill : 07-02-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: removed link drop
marketraisecorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #10
dailyearner

dailyearner is on a distinguished road

[quote=Mark;127673]Hi all, first time poster.

I've been set up in my new business for about 6 months now, and I'm just getting to grips with a website re-write to include all the usual SEO stuff.

Can anyone clarify a few things for me:

1: Keyword Density
I've read it should be about 4%: is this for each keyword or for all key words & phrases?

3-7%
dailyearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #11
expertsguy
Rocket CPA

expertsguy is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: A few questions

Hi all,

Keywords are very useful for the site ,keyword density specifies the keywords counting or the quality of the contents that are used for the getting more viewers to the site .

Thanks.....
expertsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #12
butterflyseo

butterflyseo is on a distinguished road

though i am not really concern about kw density but as far as i know the density is basing to 2-4%.

who to believe?
butterflyseo is offline   Reply With Quote