Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Local Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2010   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Local Directory - Build it or Buy it or Hybrid?

We are looking to create 5 "directory" style websites.
Basic search for x service, view listing, contact service provider. Each site is specific to a vertical, thus the searches and profiles are very much so customized to that service. The service provider pays to be listed with other options to advertise.

Question:
We would like to create these sites inexpensively, quickly but with a custom look and feel (sounds like every web dev project eh?)

Have you built out a search/referral/directory website?
Do you recommened using an off the shelf product like:
http://enthrallweb.com/directory.asp
or
http://www.directorypress.net/directorypress-directory/

Do you know developers that would use either a custom approach or use a combination of software and custom dev to create these types of sites for $500-$1,000?

Comments, suggestions, advice and referrals welcome

Thanks -
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Local Directory - Build it or Buy it or Hybrid?

this one looks good http://www.esyndicat.com/
out of the box should just have all you need and then look to see what can be done to customize look and feel
Old 07-07-2010   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Aussie, this simply proves I was right in regards to the forum request! I told you there were experts here to give advice in these areas! This is one of the most complete solutions I have found thus far, why I couldnt find this company during my research I don't know? I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on building out a custom solution. This will save me a great deal of time, money and likey development headaches.

Sweet!

Jerry
Old 07-08-2010   #4
Dan01

Dan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really niceDan01 is just really nice

Discovery, I have a question. How are you going to promote them.
Dan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #5
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Dan

The domain names themselves are targeted and high value which will create an easy SEO campaign.

Traditional techniques:

Much of the target audience responds equally to DM as SEM.
So there will be a combination of these two channels.
We'll also gain a presence at tradeshows, seminars, and other industry specific events to introduce our services.

Social media will be another key element.
Creating programs to incentivize the sharing of the opportunity can generate a great deal of traffic/registrations.

Anyone still pay $1,500 for a single web image from Photodisc? Current competition is WAY over priced. I love to take on profit heavy models.
Old 07-15-2010   #6
Kathee

Kathee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Question:
We would like to create these sites inexpensively, quickly but with a custom look and feel (sounds like every web dev project eh?) ...
Do you recommened using an off the shelf product like:
http://enthrallweb.com/directory.asp
or
http://www.directorypress.net/directorypress-directory/

Do you know developers that would use either a custom approach or use a combination of software and custom dev to create these types of sites for $500-$1,000?
If you decide to build your own sites, the question of which directory software is "best" really depends on what your needs and capabilities are. If you or your team are good at programming and have some website experience, phpLinkDirectory will give you plenty of flexibiity. If you want something that can be ready to go fast and can be managed by someone with minimal programming knowledge, DirectoryPress might be a better choice. So many people have been grappling with similar questions that I decided to launch a site to help answer them. DirectoryScriptReviews.com lists about 20 scripts with details on their peculiarities and features, and also has an article on things to consider when choosing a script.

I hope this is helpful,
Kathee Muzin

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 07-16-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Kathee is offline   Reply With Quote