Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009   #1
Web Marketer

Web Marketer is on a distinguished road
Adwords Spend Limit

Usually what is the budget that you guys put up per day for any Adwords campaign? USD20 or 100? Any comments?
Web Marketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009   #2
rodhull
PPC Campaign Manager

rodhull is on a distinguished road
Re: Adwords Spend Limit

What is the point in this question? There will be people spending a couple of dollars a day and others spending 10s of thousands. It completely depends on your business, what you're selling, etc.
rodhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #3
Web Marketer

chill rodhull,

i asked because i was confused with setting my daily budget so just to know how much different people spend i asked it...
Old 11-27-2009   #4
rodhull
PPC Campaign Manager

Haha, ok. Just set it to whatever your happy to spend in a day. Also, note that AdWords will allow your spend to go up to 20% over that amount on any given day, but this will average out over the month, so your total monthly spend will never go above 30 x (daily budget).

If you find that the camapaign is working well, and you're happy to spend more, you can then increase the budget.
rodhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009   #5
Web Marketer

thanks for sharing this i have started the campaing with $20 per day...lets c how it goes
Old 11-30-2009   #6
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

I would say that the most important rule of setting one's daily budget is to never, ever, set it to an amount that is higher than one truly feels comfortable spending in a 24 hour period.

The AdWords system tries very hard to give you exactly what you say you want, when you make settings such as daily budget, Max CPC and so forth. So, be sure to mean what you say when you make these settings.

In a system in which many millions of searches are done every day, making the wrong settings can be costly - and clicks can accrue very quickly indeed.

If you are a new advertiser I advise that you start small, and spend as much time as you can learning how AdWords works before expanding. It is a powerful program which is also rather nuanced and complex. There is a learning curve, for certain.

I advise taking the time it takes to go through the AdWords Learning Center - which is a very comprehensive (and free) resource.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #7
Web Marketer

I like that you have guided me about this...I will follow what you have said...
Old 12-23-2009   #8
rodhull
PPC Campaign Manager

How did everything work out? Is the campaign running well for you?
Old 01-16-2010   #9
maneetpuri

maneetpuri is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am also planning to start a PPC campaign for my web development company, you can see in my profile and very much confused regarding the budget also to define a strategy that what are the key things I should keep in mind.

While doing study about PPC I got a PPC tool called speedPPC (Dynamic keyword insertion) but I think it will spam, Could you please see it and comment on this.

I made a post on some other forums also regarding this tool but have't got any response yet.

Waiting for your soon replies,
Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
maneetpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010   #10
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

first you should track conversions in ppc - learn words and ad copy that gets you clients

wait on the tools and start your spend low till you start getting returns - since you are new I would localize and build out from there
Old 01-18-2010   #11
maneetpuri

Hi Aussie,

Thanks for your helpful suggestion on this. I will do follow your advice and also will come to you again to ask you more on what to do next to achive next level of success in my PPC Campaign.

Thanks and Cheers,
Old 01-18-2010   #12
rodhull
PPC Campaign Manager

speedPPC isn't anything I have heard of, but as AussieWebmaster says I wouldn't look at using tools to begin with. Start small but very targeted - avoid broad keywords to begin with while you're testing things out.
Old 01-19-2010   #13
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Budget:
We have a strategy that will run contrary to Adwords Reps advice.
We set the daily budget very very high 10-20k per campaign.
Then we control the actual spend by making an appropriate CPC bid. The logic being that I would rather have Googles formula battle it out and try to hit our budget at a $2.50 Avg. CPC than have it spend $1,000 at a suggested $15 CPC.
After 7 years or so we have never hit our ceiling, not even close.

Like others have said your business model product/service will dictate the best approach.

Campaign set up - There is no one size fits all here, however we find it best to think grouping your campaigns according to what your consumers intent would be. Think of a grocery store for example, they try and put products of similar use together... all cooking items together. Or a furniture store, where they put entire living rooms together as opposed to putting all the couches in one place and coffee tables in another. Also consider that consumers are on a mission of discovery and will often use a term in their search that identifies what they want to discovery. For example:

HDTV is too broad
HDTV Reviews is better and clear what they want
HDTV Help is very specific with a different intent.
Creating adgroups to address each broad intent can help target your ads and landing pages.

Content campaigns - Break your adgroups down into very tareted groups with 15-20 keywords. Remember there is no need for exact, phrase or broad match here.

Use an excel workbook to map out all potential campaigns and adgroups under those campaigns. Think about how the keywords will fall out in each adgroup. Think about what negative keywords you want to use in each adgroup to further refine who your ad is displayed to.

Start small and grow your campaigns as you get more data.

Thats a bit to chew on for now.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #14
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

I find if you are going to breakdown you should do phrase and exact as Google has the habit of sending the traffic to the bid that will make them the most even when you have the exact term but it is set broad as is another with one keyword less but bid pays higher
Old 01-19-2010   #15
AussieWebmaster

or negative them in each others ad groups
Old 01-19-2010   #16
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Great advice here from Discovery and Aussie (as always!). I agree with Discovery in that if you set your budget too low, you'll have a hard time accruing many impressions. We also generally start high, but with controlled CPCs and careful monitoring; then adjust from there. This gives you enough data from which to make decisions, instead of shorting your impression share.
Old 01-19-2010   #17
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Ahh now you see whats lurking about on SEW?!

Thanks Mel - its always been the way to go. Having too much traffic is always better than too little.

Aussie - So your overall strategy on matching is to

Broad - Lowest Bid
Phrase - Moderate Bid
Exact - Highest Bid

Or reverse that order?
There are two schools of thought here.
Exact is highest bid because you want to be there for the exact service you're offering and its a high quality click.
OR since it's an exact match you think you'll get the impression and click at a lower cost.. but will you?

Which strategy forces Google to choose the exact bid when it matches exactly. Does it not seem underhanded that they would choose the highest CPC Bid even though you have an exact match for a search query?

Broad 1.75 Do No Evil
Phrase 1.00 "Do No Evil"
Exact .50 [Do No Evil]

Google would choose Broad at 1.75 or Exact at .50?
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #18
AussieWebmaster

I do exact higher etc. but not too much and am a heavy negativer in the broad groups
Old 01-20-2010   #19
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
I do exact higher etc. but not too much and am a heavy negativer in the broad groups
I do this too, but sometimes it turns out that Broad or Phrase match actually gets the best ROI. So again, you have to monitor and adjust. There is no "one size fits all" in PPC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Ahh now you see whats lurking about on SEW?!
LOL Discovery, yes, I have been lurking all along! Finally I have time to get active on the forum again.
Old 01-21-2010   #20
maneetpuri

Hello Guys,

Very useful advices you have given for a newbee. Could you please describe for me the meaning of Match Type (phrase) in PPC?

I know Broad and Exact but having hard time to understand Phrase.

Thanks for all your advices once again,

Cheers,