Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009   #1
neroma

neroma is on a distinguished road
Google Holding Back Newer Sites

Hi I am working on a client's site in a very competitive market 'Mortgages', we have optimized it and have a good monthly link building plan going on, however we always seem to be around page 20 for the our most competitive term.

It is my theory that Google holds back newer sites for competitive terms until they mature?. Has anyone else had this experience or maybe could enlighten me on what I should be looking out for.

Kind regards
Neil

Last edited by neroma : 10-12-2009 at 12:22 PM.
neroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #2
Dugger

Dugger is on a distinguished road
Re: Google Holding Back Newer Sites

I am surprised no one answered this for you yet. Yes indeed - Google treats sites that target competitive commercial keywords differently. It has been that way for several years now. When you read all the posts about how "my site ranked in the top 10 within two weeks" - they do not apply to competitive commercial keywords.
Dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #3
neroma

neroma is on a distinguished road

Hi Thank you for your answer that's great. How long will the site be in this sandbox
neroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #4
Dugger

Dugger is on a distinguished road

You will probably get many different answers to that question. Some will say a couple of months but from my own experience with new domains targeting other competitive commercial keywords in the "real estate" category, it can take a year or more (for me, depends on the competitiveness of the keywords).
Dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #5
deanpowel71

deanpowel71 is on a distinguished road

I dont think that this is what Google do to new sites. If you have content real and unique enough and you have done proper SEO for the website, you will go up within a month or two. SO make sure that your website has unique and relevant content.
deanpowel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #6
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

New domain for high competitive keyword phrases takes sometime and it as well depends on industry and total search results and comparatively your new domain factors mainly depends on the quality of backlinks, deep backlinks, quality unique Meta tags on each pages, optimized business content and informative content with right search engine friendly anchor text based navigational structure.

You can get a decent traffic after a month for above-mentioned factors. All that you need in try getting right backlinks related to your industry and as the age increases you can start setting goals and as well be patience and not to over do SEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroma View Post

It is my theory that Google holds back newer sites for competitive terms until they mature?. Has anyone else had this experience or maybe could enlighten me on what I should be looking out for.
No surprises. Chances are given

Yes weak keywords are easy and can be targeted in top ten in a week or so and there are expertises that obtain results for strong keywords in a month or two. Everything depends on practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugger

I am surprised no one answered this for you yet. Yes indeed - Google treats sites that target competitive commercial keywords differently. It has been that way for several years now. When you read all the posts about how "my site ranked in the top 10 within two weeks" - they do not apply to competitive commercial keywords.
Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #7
maneetpuri

maneetpuri is on a distinguished road

As Jag said - "New domain for high .................search engine friendly anchor text based navigational structure."

That's why we should target less competitive keywords in the initial SEO stage of the site and when you are successful to divert traffic from these keywords then move to the most competitive keywords. This way you would be able to catch long tail keywords too for your website and it is just a playing game with your target keywords and use them in your anchor texts.

But don't forget to insert your competitive keywords in your content thru the website but target less competitive keywords in your Off Page activity.

Cheers,
maneetpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

domain age is a factor so newer domains have a hard time... add in competitive areas and you are going to have a lot to catch up... do it all at once and it can be seen as spammy... the old days you would have gone in to the sandbox
Old 10-21-2009   #9
deanpowel71

deanpowel71 is on a distinguished road

I dont thing that the domain age matters for, websites popularity.
deanpowel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #10
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

If so, you can give an insight on your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanpowel71 View Post
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #11
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanpowel71 View Post
are you a bot? can you do mjore than reply/quote previous statements... give us some depth of answer so we can interact with you