Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009   #1
Onestop

Onestop is on a distinguished road
URL Sitemap in footer. Bad idea?

I have my sitemap in the footer to allow google to keep crawling (no not my xml sitemap just all urls.) The url site map has around 4,000 category level links. Could having this on the bottom of every page cause googlebot to time out and not crawl more of my site? Could it cause the bot to loop back on itself back into the same spot causing it to think it is done crawling?
Onestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: URL Sitemap in footer. Bad idea?

I would have it set up in categories and then separate pages for them but would really concentrate on giving it to Webmaster Tools and let them go from there
Old 09-16-2009   #3
deanpowel71

deanpowel71 is on a distinguished road
Re: URL Sitemap in footer. Bad idea?

Sitemap must be set up on the top of the page, That is the best place for it and will get your best results.
deanpowel71 is offline   Reply With Quote