Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Vertical Markets & Specialty Search > Social Media and Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009   #1
polarcherry

polarcherry is on a distinguished road
facebook cpc

Very basic questions really - but what's everyone's impression of advertising cpc on Facebook now it's been around for a while for people to experiment with?
(i'm UK targetting only if that makes a difference?)

i've been testing for a week so far and have noticed very low ctr on generic ads that are relevant for most people but much better on non logo ads where its targetted more on status. (this case engaged women)

next is keyword targetting..... I presume this is related to just profile keywords? rather than groups joined and wall text ?

doe's anyone know if they plan to improve their ad manager area to include better reporting etc?

any helpful advise would be great. Thanks
polarcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: facebook cpc

Facebook ads are very much impulse driven at the moment - so timely if only slightly related to landing page ads can work
Old 06-11-2009   #3
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

I see no possibility of FB ads doing much of anything other than brand advertising. To even discuss CPC on FB is absurd.

I based this on how people interact with FB. They are there for fun. They comment on their friends, they take stupid tests, send slaps upside the head or super slugs or whatnot. They are not there to search. They are not there to even remotely care about your ad - unless it's something entertainment related. I've voted away ads that I think are crap, that incites my ire (like the liberal causes, PETA, etc.) that are even from other SEOs that talk about how great they are.

Even more importantly - who searches on FB? Who? Do a search and see - when you use the search function, it lists people with a few ads on the side. No one pays attention to that.

However, display ads may be a little more effective. After all, FB has a lot of visuals.

Creating widgets, gadgets, fan pages even - those are a little more engaging and endearing.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #4
polarcherry

polarcherry is on a distinguished road

thanks for your reply.

the sites i'm promoting are free entry competition sites, so they do fit in with why people are on fb - i'm not trying to promote a product.

Just a bit of fun for the bored to enter a few competitions.

I agree though that an application would prove more sucessful than a cpc ad - but technical limitations at the moment mean I have to try this first.

btw - 3 out of the 7 ads i have on are doing really well. conversion rates very high but the ctr is terrible....
polarcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #5
cryptblade
SEO, International SEO, Mobile SEO, SEO Stocks

cryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud ofcryptblade has much to be proud of

Well if you are promoting fun stuff - then sure, you have a better chance of doing well.

I've seen SEO companies advertise. And some other junky stuff. I mean, other than networking, really, are people going to pay attention to SEO companies any more on FB than in Google? If anything, there will be some cannibalization.

And if any SEO is like me, if we are on FB, we like to network - kinda like LinkedIn. But to pay attention to ads? I doubt it. Can't be "on" all the time.

And if we are on FB for our own business and our clients', well, we are likely not paying attention.

So, it comes down to lots and lots of noise - kinda like Twitter.
cryptblade is offline   Reply With Quote