Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009   #1
Illinois lawyer

Illinois lawyer is on a distinguished road
How do I solve this problem?

For years many of our pages had first page rankings on Google. Over the last couple of months Google is now deciding to show our home page for most searches where we return even though those pages are less relevant. e.g. If you are searching for a divorce attorney, our home page which has a link to our divorce page will show up rather than our divorce page itself which has tons of relevant info. To boot, we are now on page two for a lot of these searches.

We do link building to many of the internal pages that are impacted by this, not just our home page, all white hat stuff like articles, mentions in blogs, etc.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? All thoughts are appreciated.
Illinois lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: How do I solve this problem?

Tighten your link navigation on site... make home link on other pages a name and make sure all links internally to specific pages have specific text - also I would do some rank scuplting - use nofollow for links on the internal pages where appropriate - the footer links and any others that you see not needing to be ranked
Old 05-13-2009   #3
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Use Anchor texts in home page content to your related inner pages specific to the keywords. This would help to identify the importance for the search engines. Good internal links structure helps better inner page rank distribution and hope you have already configured an xml sitemap for search engines with crawl priority

Best,
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #4
maneetpuri

maneetpuri is on a distinguished road

Yesterday only I got through an article explaining the Google's latest algorithm patent.

I read that now Google wants us to work for our visitors not for Google crawlers. while writing our content we need to think about our users not the targeting keywords as now Google verifies our keyword relevance with synonyms of our keywords, Days are gone when it used to check the density of keywords on your page content.

I have also loose the ranking of services page on my website after latest change in algorithm Google now shows my home page instead of services page for my services keywords.

So keep working for your users!
maneetpuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #5
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

jag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the roughjag is a jewel in the rough

Google holding hands of ture white hat SEO professionals
Old 05-20-2009   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

there are all sorts of things needed to consider - seems branded sites linking to other non relevant sites have gotten a lift since the branded sites were given more juice
Old 05-22-2009   #7
ChiefLee
Promotional Products Guru

ChiefLee will become famous soon enough

We have much the same issue. There are a couple of good phrases that I try to get indexed for a deeper page, and our home page ends up ranking better for it. It can be frustrating. We have recently funneled all of our internal links through our product categories so that we could hopefully have some better control over how we use our own link juice.
ChiefLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #8
ChiefLee
Promotional Products Guru

ChiefLee will become famous soon enough

Not sure I explained that very well. Using follows and no follows, we funnel all the link juice vertically from home page down to products and back up. Never side ways to other sections of the site. Though I'm still watching the SERPs to decide if this helps or hurts. Results are inconclusive so far.
ChiefLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #9
AussieWebmaster

By creating category pages that cover major areas and only those get sitewide links and all sub pages within the categories only link to others in their group and the main page for that category becomes the constant home link throughout the category you start to get better deeper traction
Old 05-23-2009   #10
jag
Forums Valuator, SEW

Added to my earlier reply you can also try creating a feed for the products with title, description and URL and submit to GWT as you do for sitemap.xml. It will show format as feed and shows the status of Last Download. You can see some improvement in due course. It works

Best,
Old 05-25-2009   #11
megri

megri is on a distinguished road

Do some Social Bookmarking for internal pages, and also make site wide navigation linking of those internal pages on related keywords
megri is offline   Reply With Quote