Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009   #1
newreality

newreality is on a distinguished road
java hurt rankings?

On a financial site I would like to put a java applet for a ticker on the main index page.

But not having java on a new pc build, I've noticed that the entire page won't load if java isn't installed locally.

This notion presents the prospect of java's absence hurting not only SEO rankings but visitorship. Potentially this could stop a sensitive crawl.

On the flipside I guess an applet could uptick newness & serve as an indicator for up-to-date information.

- Any insight here?

Last edited by newreality : 02-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.
newreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #2
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
Re: java hurt rankings?

Sounds like a poor way to pull in a ticker. Anyhow it's easy enough to see if SEs are having trouble with it.. just search for some unique quoted text, check the index,cache etc. Even if SEs are fine I would still be worried enough about my users to find a different solution.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

most tickers I have seen work off a javascript and interact with a database
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #4
newreality

newreality is on a distinguished road

- anyone decent commodities tickers?

This same Java ticker, set off Norton on a test page saying the page is trying to load ActiveX although the source denies it.
newreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #5
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

try searching for:

stock ticker feed

or stuff like that.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote