Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2004   #1
mwa
web grunt

mwa is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone tried DEW-NEWPhpLinks ?

I'm involved in the development of this script. I'd be curious to know what some SEO literate people think about it. If you are unfamiliar with it, its kind of hard to describe.

There are likely hundreds of sites running some prior version of it, since its based on PHPLinks, but we have added some features like...
session ID supression on detected search engine spiders.
optional featured sites function w/ site thunbnails.
site reviews.

I can attest that the session ID supression works, since google completly spidered the working demo at
http://www.dew-code.com/links/

The primary function of a directory/link exchange package like this is to increase backlinks to the sites running it, but I'm curious, what other SEO methods might we be able squeeze in there? Latest version, currently 2.0.1.0B, is here
http://www.dew-code.com/modules/mydownloads/

What do you think? Is this worth continuing development on. or is there already something better out there w/ GPL liscensing?
mwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #2
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
There is no spiderable link for the submissions.

In which case, what on earth can "denew phplinks" offer that lots of other directories with no spiderable links can't?

Killing the session ID isn't the issue - spiderable links in directories is.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004   #3
mwa
web grunt

Yes I see your point, but its designed to increase backlinks to the site running it. You are viewing it from the perspective of a link submitter, and not from the site owner.

The link submitter benefits from organic click throughs to their site, also some spiders do follow the re-direct method used and will count it as a backlink, however to my knowledge google does not.

Without using the redirect method, a large portion of it is in-operable. There would be no way to tally outbound clicks, thus increainsg their rank, and visibality on the whats popular page.

So, while I do apreciate your feedback, try looking at it from the site owner's perspective.
Old 09-15-2004   #4
I, Brian

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa
Yes I see your point, but its designed to increase backlinks to the site running it. You are viewing it from the perspective of a link submitter, and not from the site owner.
That's the problem, though - if it doesn't look attractive to the submitter, all you have is empty useless pages.

Awareness of SEO issues constantly increases - webmasters are learning more and more than a link needs to be indexed. The days of the jump scripted directory are pretty much dead, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa
The link submitter benefits from organic click throughs to their site, also some spiders do follow the re-direct method used and will count it as a backlink, however to my knowledge google does not.
Organic clickthroughs from the vast majority of directories is non-existent. You would need to be able to boast a very high-traffic directory to claim any kind of clickthroughs.

Also, Google is the search engine that matters most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwa

So, while I do apreciate your feedback, try looking at it from the site owner's perspective.
You've missed the point, though - there's no reason for a site owner to run a piece of software that most webmasters won't touch.

From a site owner perspective, the new phplinks offers nothing new in that regard.

If you really want to push the software then my personal recommendation is to at least make the links spiderable. If you don't then there are plenty other directory scripts offering the same. Remarkably few directory scripts offer the spiderable liks that site owners and users need.
Old 09-15-2004   #5
mwa
web grunt

No I totally get your point, and I'm not trying to be obtuse either

but....

There are already hundreds of sites using this. One I setup for a PR5 client gets about 5 sites submitted a day, over 300 total so far, and they are now PR6. Of course there were other factors involved, so I can't credit the PR boost solely to their links section, but my point is, webmasters apparently do see value in it, otherwise they wouldn't have that many. Granted many are low PR sites, likely ran by novice webmasters, but still the backlinks are increasing which is the whole point of software like this.

Some of the earlier submitters have worked their way up on the whats cool & whats popular pages and get a fair amount of outbound clicks, so they are benefittting as well.

If I can find a way to present a plain text link and still tally the outbound click I will certainly put it in there, but thus far how to do that eludes me. Any PHP coders out there with a better way?

Other than the re-directed outbound link, does anyone find any other shortcomings? Does anyone know of a similar/comparable open source project? I really want to make this the best that it can be for both the site owner running it and the link submitter.

Last edited by mwa : 09-15-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2004   #6
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
Technically, the script is just all messed up. Whilst much thought and effort has gone into it, exactly what Brian has stated with the links. Basically, your deceiving people into thinking they are getting linked, when they are not getting bugger all when it comes to search engine benefit. It is nothing more than a big dud useless page that will barely be seen and deliver no SE benefit. Deceptive is what I call it.

To those unknowing persons, about 90% or more of the web, provide an active, spiderable link to your site, and you provide them http://www.dew-code.com/links/out.php?ID=1 that sort of thing, pointing to http://www.dew-code.com that. The search engines DO NOT like that at all. It is not friendly, thus all the work you have done in your URL's is wasted because the page is rotten.

Maybe go back, redesign, get away from all the other URL technical talk, incorporate mod-rewrite so ALL engines accept the URL in static, and make the links absolute to the path they are going, not redirected through scripting.

IMHO, it is far from adequate and would recommend people to keep away from it until fixed as per the above. Listen to Brian MWA. Whilst a good idea and design, just poorly executed.

Last edited by Anthony Parsons : 09-16-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #7
mwa
web grunt

You've both made your point, and I totally get it. Afterall, it is free to submit a site. I've seen lots of sites charge for banner and text ads that use the same re-direct method. Do they do it to be dishonest and horde their page rank? No, they do it so they can tally the clicks their client gets. Why do people pay for them? For the organic clicks they get, period. It's not a limitation of scrupals, its a limitation of technology.

I have noticed a couple of sites that do provide banner & text ads with direct links. I'd love to know if & how they track the click throughs. I presume they simply charge on a monthly basis and track impressions, and its up to the site owner to track refferals.

How about this... The link still points to out.php?ID=1 but instead of simply redirecting from there, the site summary is shown with a plain text link. That way it can still count the outbound click, and the site submitter does get a plain text link to their site. The drawback is the site viewer has to click twice to get to the site they were interested in.

Oh and, Mr. Parsons, this is a free open source script that anyone can download and install on their site. I can not do mod-rewrites on servers I have no control over. What you apparently viewed was just an out of the box working demo with a couple of sample sites. Once installed it can be highly customized.

Again, other than the re-directed outbound link, does anyone find any other shortcomings? Does anyone know of a similar/comparable open source project?
Old 09-16-2004   #8
I, Brian

The trouble is that clickthrough information doesn't provide any useful benefits for the submitter - the key consumer concern here.

Although there are plenty of directories around offer redirected links, webmasters are simply too wise to that being an attractive solution.

Ben referenced the issue of a directory wishlist at SERoundtable here:
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/000898.html

I'm currently in the market to spend a few hundred on a good directory script to integrate with online payments - and, frankly, the market is completely lacking. The only realistic option seems to be the biz-directory.org script. But there should be much better than that available.
Old 09-16-2004   #9
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
I have contacted Nandini from the V7N thread that you are also listed in Brian. I would love to have that one...http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11347
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #10
mwa
web grunt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
The trouble is that clickthrough information doesn't provide any useful benefits for the submitter - the key consumer concern here.
Well maybe not the info, but in this script clickthroughs do increase their rank on the Whats Cool page. The site with the most outbound clicks is listed first. The site with the most inbound clicks is listed first on the Whats Popular page.

I do apreciate the feedback. I'll go scour the threads you both mentioned.

Thanks