Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009   #1
roligan

roligan is on a distinguished road
Broad match

I have always be afraid of using broad match.

Here is Google's definition

With broad match, the Google AdWords system automatically runs your ads on relevant variations of your keywords, even if these terms aren't in your keyword lists. Keyword variations can include synonyms, singular/plural forms, relevant variants of your keywords, and phrases containing your keywords.

For example, if you're currently running ads on the broad-matched keyword web hosting, your ads may show for the search queries web hosting company or webhost. The keyword variations that are allowed to trigger your ads will change over time, as the AdWords system continually monitors your keyword quality and performance factors. Your ads will only continue showing on the highest-performing and most relevant keyword variations.

I don't like the part that says 'and phrases containing your keywords'.

If I have a broad phrase keyword which is 'luxury villa in orlando' can the ad come up if somebody types 'container hire in Orlando' or 'cheap villa in orlando' for example?

Thanks
roligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Broad match

yes very true... need to filter using negatives
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3
roligan

I think the answer is here.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google...ds/3371081.htm

At best use broad match for testing purposes.
Old 01-12-2009   #4
roligan

But filtering is almost impossible if you are doing villa rental in Orlando for example and customer could be from anywhere. I don't think broad phrases is a good idea.
Old 01-12-2009   #5
roligan

Can you have the same keyword phrases as broad match and phrase match in the same adgroup?

I have tried but next to the broad match it says 'Note: in this diagnosis the search xxx xxx did not trigger this keyword. However, another keyword in this ad group ( "xxx xxx" ) is triggered by this search'

The two keywords being exactly the same
Old 01-13-2009   #6
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

The way I see it you can broad/phrase match and use your ad copy + negatives to filter out or you can exact match and have a keyword list that is a mile long.

Really for me it comes down to how much of my resources (time) that I want to invest.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

you need to lower bids on broad to start if that was your first attempt
it needs to gather a good QS and will be more accurate fit - keyword insert could help
Old 01-13-2009   #8
roligan

why do you need to have lower bids on broad match? I have also noticed that my broad matched get a lot more impressions even though it is only the exact keywords people have typed in. Thus, there are no weird combinations of the broad matches.
Old 01-15-2009   #9
TigerWoodsOfSEM

TigerWoodsOfSEM is on a distinguished road

I do agree that broad match has potential to deliver irrelevant traffic, although by not being on broad match you are also losing out on additional revenue.

To ensure efficiency is there you need to regularly run search query reports and add negative keywords. I have found many many keywords that are irrelevant to my keyword list but prompt my ad to show due to the way Google serves ads to broad match keywords. Keeping up to date with search query reports and negative keywords will help your cause.

You CAN buy the same keyword on all 3 match types in the same adgroup and I would recommend this. This way you can see what match type is actually producing the sales and getting all the costs. I have tested this many times and always seem to find one match type that converts inefficiently for me. Test, test, test.

To summarize, I would not rule out broad match but instead utilize the search query reports and also buy all 3 match types for high volume words and/or words you are concerned about.

Hope this helps!
Tiger
TigerWoodsOfSEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #10
roligan

I know somebody made a suggestion but I was wonder how to find our which keywords matches which broad match keywords.

For example if I had 'widget a' and 'blue nice widget' and I can see I have a paid click which is 'high widget' how do I know if it was 'widget a' or 'blue nice widget' whci triggered the ad and ultimately the click thru?
Old 01-15-2009   #11
AussieWebmaster

http://www.seoptimise.com/blog/2008/...ould-know.html

that should do it for you
Old 01-15-2009   #12
roligan

Thanks

I have seen this one but don't really understand what to do once these tow filters have been set up.
Old 01-15-2009   #13
Adswriter

Adswriter is on a distinguished road

Howie Jacobson of "AdWords for Dummies" fame says the way to prevent Google from throwing up your ad for its idea of related match is to
switch off automatic matching in Advanced Campaign Settings.

I'm a relative newbie. Expert comments?
Adswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #14
AussieWebmaster

have never heard of that switch - anyone? I looked for it in my account and nothing
Old 01-16-2009   #15
AussieWebmaster

apparently not all accounts have the option this is something to read

http://www.squidoo.com/opt_out_Automatic_Matching
Old 01-16-2009   #16
Adswriter

Adswriter is on a distinguished road

There are two ways this Google policy is going to hurt.

1) We'll be paying for clicks which have a low chance of conversion. OK you MAY be able to stop this by switching off automatic matching, but this only seems to be offerred irregularly.

2) Even if we stop our ads being shown on irrelevant keywords, we can't stop that happening to other advertisers who are now unwittingly competing with us.
Bid prices are going to be inflated. We are now competing with irrelevant keywords of other advertisers for page position. All other things equal, we're going to have to pay more for the same position.

At least Google isn't going to hit our quality score by having a lower CTR if our ads are shown on Google's choice of relevancy. Google told Howie that CTR is only measured on the keywords actually in the campaign.

Last edited by Adswriter : 01-16-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Adswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #17
roligan

I can't see them on any of my accounts