Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009   #1
starget1
I want to learn

starget1 is on a distinguished road
Search result excerpt..confusing..

Hi all,

I was doing a search on "office 2007" in google. This is the result. http://www.google.com.my/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=

Then there is this first result that says "Click here to switch to other Office Online sites worldwide United States ( change) | All ... Get a deal on Office Home and Student 2007 | Our price $99.95 "

I was searching at the meta tags..the description part, but, there is no such description anywhere in the website. May I know where did Google pull that excerpt from?

Thanks for your help.
starget1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Search result excerpt..confusing..

Interesting question... without a description tag they normally pull from dmaoz or yahoo directory - but here they are pulling from the first text - the alt tag - scroll over the ball and see... the all comes up that way but don't know where the price thing is
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #3
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough

It'll be interesting to try the same search in a few weeks - I bet the result will be different.

I'll bet Google use some sort of heuristics in order to produce the description, which will mean the extract will keep changing over time, which will keep us lot on our toes!
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #4
B-Double-U

B-Double-U will become famous soon enough

I think this is one of those things that goog likes to play with...

In many cases you will see things like:

Quote:
These terms only appear in links pointing to this page
This cache was from the 11th, so is is highly likely that it did contain that data at that time, but now that it has updated itself, it is no longer there. Google will still pull newer data even on the cached version, especially where images are concerned and it could have even been a name in an image tag which can make this occur.

I went there a few more times in different browsers and it redirected me away from the cached version and ultimately I received the following error:

Google
Error

Not Found
The requested URL /FX102855291033.aspx was not found on this server.
B-Double-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #5
starget1
I want to learn

starget1 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Wow! Thanks for the great inputs. Thank you..
starget1 is offline   Reply With Quote