Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008   #1
kgam

kgam is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Is it better to place keywords in folder or filename?

Question for our resident gurus...

For ranking purposes, is it better to place keywords in a URL folder or in the filename itself (i.e. www.example.com/keyword/page.html or www.example.com/keyword.html)? Does Google treat these differently than Yahoo, MSN or others? In my experience and tests, I have not seen a difference between these, but I wonder what you have seen.

Obviously thing such as internal link structure, content, inbound links, etc. all play into the ranking, but assuming all else is the same, does placement of the keyword matter or is it simply a style preference?

How about for category pages? Would you recommend they be www.example.com/category/ or www.example.com/category.html

Last edited by kgam : 11-19-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: additional detail
kgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #2
kgam

Re: Is it better to place keywords in folder or filename?

Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2008   #3
bradbox

bradbox will become famous soon enoughbradbox will become famous soon enough

Personally I don't think it matters. Google knows that URLs are being rewritten unnecessarily, and it can counter both directories and folder names.
bradbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

Why not just make all of the important pages be like this www.example.com/keyword/
they don't have to be a category page to use this structure. My rule is make URIs as short as possible, use the keywords and if a page is important then let it be (or look like it is) the default page of it's own folder.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5
kgam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Why not just make all of the important pages be like this www.example.com/keyword/
they don't have to be a category page to use this structure. My rule is make URIs as short as possible, use the keywords and if a page is important then let it be (or look like it is) the default page of it's own folder.
That is a thought that I had not had. It is simple, which often means good.
Old 12-10-2008   #6
rapidvectorseo

rapidvectorseo will become famous soon enoughrapidvectorseo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgam View Post
For ranking purposes, is it better to place keywords in a URL folder or in the filename itself
Believe it works fine...
e.g. If you have halloween shopping website and you want to create a page called boys halloween costume than you should go in below mentioned manner.

yourdomain.com/kidshalloweencostumes/boyscostumes.html

here you covers kids Halloween costumes as well as boys Halloween costumes in keywords. and if you have a keyword in domain whichever Halloween or Costumes, you will be ranking on top of SE's.
rapidvectorseo is offline   Reply With Quote