Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008   #1
phoenix06007

phoenix06007 is on a distinguished road
Is keyword tags totally irrelvant ? will it harm me if I fill it ?

I am not new to SEO but still this thing have confuses me and I need a response from someone who can confirm this.

1. Is it worth my time to fill the keyword tags ?
2. Will filling keywords <snip> cause me more problem than to NOT have keywords tags at all ? I am pretty convinced that google has flags for such type of content.
phoenix06007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #2
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Re: Is keyword tags totally irrelvant ? will it harm me if I fill it ?

1. It can be worth your time, might not be, depends on you. As far as we know the only major search engine that even looks at the keyord meta is Yahoo; it uses it not for ranking purposes, but for consideration to be included in results for a query. So, if you have the time you might make the effort.

I do use the keyword meta, though not mainly as a means to influence the SEs. I find that after writing a page of copy, formulating a good keyword meta refocuses my attention on what I wrote: Did I include the points I wanted to make? Did I throw in a couple of synonyms and related terms?

If you do use the keyword meta be sure that it is a comma-delimited list of words or phrases, make it concise and do not use it to stuff keywords.

2. As far as we know Google does not look at the keyword meta so whether you use it or not should not have any consequences, positive or negative. That is unless something else negative has brought your site enough attention from Google to merit a manual review and a spammy, keyword-stuffed meta combined with other not so good elements shows a pattern of overall negative intent.

Bottom line: It doesn't hurt if used correctly; it doesn't help much if used correctly. It doesn't hurt if you don't use it; it can hurt if you use it incorrectly.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #3
phoenix06007

phoenix06007 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is keyword tags totally irrelvant ? will it harm me if I fill it ?

they are relevent if used correctly. I believe they use the keyword metas to classify or know what your site is about, but not for ranking, IF you misuse them by spamming to many keywords or unrelated keywords i believe you can be penalized. All said, you are safe in just leaving them out. But it is also my belief that Live/MSN does use the keyword tags. So, I use them, but very carefully.

what do you think on my opinion?
phoenix06007 is offline   Reply With Quote