Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008   #1
bikeman

bikeman is on a distinguished road
removing subdomains with robots.txt

My folder structure comprises a subfolde off root for each domain as follows:

root\maindomain
root\domain2
root\domain3

with each domain accessed via
www.domain1.com
www.domain2.com etc

However I also have a subdomain - www.root.maindomain.com - which can be used to access any other domain's subfolder:
www.root.maindomain.com/domain1/
www.root.maindomain.com/domain2/

I don't want www.root.maindomain/domain2/ etc listed so I placed a robots.txt in the root folder:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

I am now concerned that because each domain is in a subfolder off \root\ that the robots.txt will also affect all the domains listings?

Does the folder structure have any effect on robots.txt?
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #2
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of
Re: removing subdomains with robots.txt

Welcome to SEW bikeman. Not sure why there has to be such an odd structure but I assume it has to do with how your host handles addon domains?

>I don't want www.root.maindomain/domain2/ etc listed so I placed a robots.txt in the root folder:
Disallow: /

Not 100% sure I understand your setup but I think what you want here is this

Disallow: /domain2/

In normal situation, what you have proposed will block everything, including for example,
www.root.maindomain/
or
www.root.maindomain/index.html
etc.

Anyhow wouldn’t using 301s to force everything to a single correct URI be better than blocking stuff?
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #3
bikeman

bikeman is on a distinguished road

the reason i have setup the subdomain www.root.maindoamin.com is simply because I have folders with domain unrelated stuff such as www.root.maindomain.com/stuff/ which I dont want index'd but I still want to able to access via the url.

I simply want to prevent all indexing of www.root.maindomain.com/stuff/
but allow indexing of
www.maindomain.com

the folder structure is:

\root\ <-- here is where I am putting the robots.txt

\root\stuff\ <-- this not to be index'd

\root\maindomain\ <-- this is www.maindomain.com and needs to be index'd

My thinking is that when engines visit www.root.maindoman.com they WILL find my robots.txt in the root dir and then stop, so wont index www.root.maindomain.com or www.root.maindomain.com/stuff/

But when they come across www.maindomain.com they will not find a robots.txt since there is not one present in folder \root\maindomain\ and they will then happily crawl/index www.maindomain.com

?

Last edited by bikeman : 09-13-2008 at 10:56 AM.
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #4
JohnW

JohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud ofJohnW has much to be proud of

>I simply want to prevent all indexing of www.root.maindomain.com/stuff/
but allow indexing of
www.maindomain.com

For this, the robots file will need to be available here: www.root.maindomain.com/robots.txt
and contain
User Agent: *
Disallow: /stuff/

But each domain, sub-domain and sub-sub-domain (like www in this case) may need its own robots file. Hard to say without understanding your config. For example, make sure that /stuff/ folder content isn't still available for indexing via some other path like
root.maindomain.com/stuff/
www.maindomain.com/stuff/
maindomain.com/stuff/
etc.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote